Change top angle of driven pulley

So I have a problem.

Race gearing in honda hobbit,

My manual control dual variation requires 1/2in belts. Belt doesn't get high enough in rear pulley for breakneck takeoff. What to do?

Welp, gonna add braze material to the outer edge of the fixed cheek first, and then turn it to be true and more steep.

If I can get the belt about 4mm higher I'd be very happy. Pulley won't be perfectly angled to the belt at the closed position, but I'm not too worried.

Kinda psyched.

Hopefully this will help me lower clutch stall and eliminate belt slip with a weaker contra.

Re: Change top angle of driven pulley

Master D. Baiter /

Braze tha lowd!

Hey J-bot we had this discussion few months ago on the phone why don't you just get another cheek drill holes in the stationary one set the cheek face over the other cheek face and spot weld through the holes on the backside by filling them in.

Basically you're just putting a plate over it that matches the angles to bring the two cheeks closer together so the half inch belt will ride higher.

IMG_5968.JPG

This is to eat now

I don't remember that.

Well, maybe next time

> Sean Zuggles Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey J-bot we had this discussion few months ago on the phone why don't

> you just get another cheek drill holes in the stationary one set the

> cheek face over the other cheek face and spot weld through the holes on

> the backside by filling them in.

>

> Basically you're just putting a plate over it that matches the angles to

> bring the two cheeks closer together so the half inch belt will ride

> higher.

Few touch ups and she's ready to roll. Got the belt a bunch higher

IMG_5969.JPG

Couldnt you only add material to the outside the gain the high belt grab without losing travel?

Master D. Baiter /

Are u doing both sides? That’s a quick fix to that 1/2” belt issue suckage. Check it out

It just made more sense for transition to do the whole cheek.

Otherwise the first 1/3 of variation would have had an almost vertical face on that side.

The shifting is accomplished from

the movable cheek more tho, so I don't think this will effect shifting that much..but we'll see.

I lost no travel with this btw(edited)

Just doing one side for now

I mean if your belt still travels all the way to the bottom then fuck it, good job

Nothing has changed there.

Now it just goes up about 4-5mm higher.

Next mod will be to reshape the tjt to be more steep. I don't think there's enough meat to just turn it to be steeper (maybe or maybe not). I might have to add aluminum braze to the pulley face first. I did that to a moby varplus awhile back and it kinda kicked ass. The zinc is harder than the aluminum too, great for fixing er3 varis when you wear out the face.

Master D. Baiter /

Heck yeah good 1

I was thinking the belt wouldnt ride as far down the face with less space between the pulleys. But if thats a nonissue, sweet

Kicks ass. Could move the wheel about 3/4 inch forward. Zero slip.

Just need some stronger springs and it will be nutso. Those stretched blues are a lil weak.

Either I'll do malossi blacks or I'll try the clutch of David. Problem is I tried that once and all the springs ended up eating themselves.. it fucked up the cases too.

Btw, is there any way of getting malossi blacks without buying the whole fucking set of springs?

Only issue with this was the original thin pulley steel warping. Didn't matter that much as I recut the whole cheek. But yeah, thin steel and heat are very warp prone. Funny thing is that the outer cheek is actually more true now than the original cheek was. I turned the whole assembley on an old hobbit input shaft from the gearbox. That way it's true where it's important. Based on the shaft center

IMG_5970.JPG
IMG_5972.JPG

When you change the angle of the whole cheek, the end point is the same. Look at the hub, see the silver? That's the original cheek surface

> alex . Wrote:

> I was thinking the belt wouldnt ride as far down the face with less

> space between the pulleys. But if thats a nonissue, sweet

Cuz I got a golden tickeeeeetttt

IMG_5973.JPG

Why the upside down belt though? I can see you arent running that dual belt launch anymore

YOure not paying any attention.

I am running launch lever, that's why I'm doing this whole fucking thing.

Dayco top cog Belt is not upside down and is surprisingly great for the rear. Slips too much for the front belt. I have a gates AX27 tri power for the front, dayco top cog 17270 for the rear.

All I'm not running is the 3rd tranny bearing cuz it's only for protection, pointless when tuning(edited)

And now like with every trans mod, I gotta retune slightly. . Since the rear pulley is heavier and at a different angle and the belt is starting higher on the pulley changing its relationship to the variator placement , it makes for a lil tuning. Looks like slightly lighter weights, was running straight tjt blues with this new spring before....now gonna try black and it should be pretty decent

Master D. Baiter /

Looks good from here! 8)

Haha found out how far I can go with the tjt! Still gonna run it. Love shit like this. Power windows!!

image.jpg

Wow! I'm blown away. The much steeper vari (on the first half of the cheek) really just fucking goes 0-20. So much faster off the line.

I wasn't expecting this but wow.

Nice!

I apparently have some reading to do. I didnt even know too cog belts were a thing. Did you measure your cheek angle or just guess and check against the belt? Im curious what the difference in the pulley angles ended up

I just eyeballed the angle.

It's really amazing the tiny difference in angle can make regarding belt height.

If you think that top cog belts are weird, you should see the other topcog gold label belts that have top and bottom notches. Super flexible super strong. Wish they had them in AX width.

Yeah those dual Cog belts were designed for Industrial equipment/diesels a belt that would last and can handle lots of abuse with good Flex.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Haha found out how far I can go with the tjt! Still gonna run it. Love

> shit like this. Power windows!!

Speed holes!!

Master D. Baiter /

I’m running a thin top cog, it fits good on vespa 3-step clutch pulley. Sucks on the front tho, I’m going to skinny up the front vario boss to get it grabbing sooner.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account