Motobecane engine swap?

I currently have a Motoebcane Mobylette. I know it sits within the 50 series but i have no idea which. The bike is a 1 speed automatic, tops out before 25MPH. Has a Dellorto carb, and prior owner did restore the bike with its original parts.

I am hoping to hit 30-35 MPH, is this possible by swapping out the engine with a new AV7 ebay engine?

Motoengine.jpg

Re: Motobecane engine swap?

Whats this Ebay engine? Link?

Also its an AV7, get on the Wikki, or do some searching on here, there is a lot of free speed and easy mods that will help you get that speed.

You can buy a faster bike for $500. Or put it towards a carb, pipe, kit, clutch pulley...

But thats my problem, Ive never went above stock. I have no idea what Im doing. I tried riding with some people who have stock Mobys and they can do 40 flat and I top out at 23-25.

Or , maybe you should just be satisfied with 25 and under .

Remember , the faster you go , the more it hurts when you go down . And , you will go down , unless you're an angel . In that case , an extra 10 MPH would be of little importance . ;)

If you have a single speed just put a variator on it and a 56T rear sprocket and your at 30-35mph. Oh and modify the J hook.

How do I tell if its variated or not already? Could you possibly point out a variator on Treats?

Sorry I dont know what I have and Im honestly trying and have been researching for months to know what I do have.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Does the motor swing when you're riding it? Or just vibrate and wobble in place?

can you take some pictures and post them? we can tell you what you've got.

depending on what the 'previous owner' did its going to be tough for anyone to tell you what to do without seeing it.

photo 1

m1.jpg

photo 2

m2.jpg

photo 3

m3.jpg

I believe it isnt as I havent notice it moving but Ive attached photos. The engine does have a spring clip for the motor to move.

I just started it, blasted the engine and it did not move....

Also here is a whole view.Im reading since it has a solid rear sprocket it makes it a 50L, does that mean i can remove the nonvariated clutch and slap on a variated one or would I need other materials? If so what would I need?

M4.jpg

That's definitely a non variated clutch. Yes you can put a variators on it. You'll also need a 56T rear sprocket and another J hook or modify yours so the engine can swing properly. Also you need to replace all three engine bushings because they are shot!

Any recommendations on how to modify or where to buy a new J hook?

Also yeah I plan on putting a 70CC kit and new mounts lol

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

It’s got a SHA on it

what do you mean by SHA?

Dellorto SHA is the carburetor. Don’t mess with a 70 kit until you get familiar with how the bike works more. You’ll be working on it a lot more once you kit it...

Sounds fair enough, stick with getting it variated first then? Then leave it and learn?

do a search motobecane airal, kit, etc. and read it'll save u time.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Before you do anything involving this bike, do the research and reading to understand what bike you have and what equipment is on it.

You will NOT have fun trying to swap to a variated setup without a concise understanding of the exploded diagrams of your bike and the correct tools.

Sadly, you have one of the more nuanced bikes that many people avoid because they operate in a few non-standard ways.

I see what you mean now, if i kitted the engine i must play with the slide and jets of the SHA.... VS variating it and being happy with the higher speed and less torque. Yeah I dont believe Ill be kitting it now. Thank You!

Dirty30 Dillon /

> dominic motes Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I see what you mean now, if i kitted the engine i must play with the

> slide and jets of the SHA.... VS variating it and being happy with the

> higher speed and less torque. Yeah I dont believe Ill be kitting it now.

> Thank You!

You're still not quite on it. Variating the bike will increase your torque and top speed.

If it increases torque, then why change out the rear sprocket to a larger one for torque?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> dominic motes Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If it increases torque, then why change out the rear sprocket to a

> larger one for torque?

Because the stock rear sprocket on a 50V is a 56.

I suggest you do some investigation into how variators function, it would give you a better idea of what you're thinking of undertaking.

I'd also take some time and make sure its tuned up and running right as it sits right now. I have zero experience with non variated moby but it seems like with the SHA on there you should be able to get 30 out of it.

top speed should be pretty close to what it would be variated, but the acceleration wont be as good. you'd be surprised how much those worn out rubber motor mounts can kill performance, all that energy the engine is wasting shaking itself apart.

i'd dig around for a 'how to convert your 50L to 50V thread or wiki topic, i'm surprised someone hasn't done that, but off the top of my head i can't think of one.

Variated swap is easy. You'll need:

- 52T or 56T rear sprocket

- Variator (find an OEM one, not the aftermarket treats sells)

- Longer chain

- Variator Nut

Recommended that you change the bushings also.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Motor_mount_bushing_removal

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Remove_Motobecane_Variator

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account