I want MORE VARIATION AND I WANT IT NOW

So I cut the fixed cheek on the clutch bell and the TJT this time. Finally can get a 1/2in belt to the top of the pulley.

Do you even mod your trans bro?

IMG_6263.JPG

Re: I want MORE VARIATION AND I WANT IT NOW

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I want a lathe and i want it now :<(edited)

I don't get all this trans this and trans that, I keep my pullies stock THE WAY GOD MADE THEM.

At what point would the belt not be pinched before starting to variate? And at that point could you bring the ramp plate in so it will be pinched? And changing the angle of the cheeks... As soon as the weights start moving won't it just shoot the belt to the top dropping you out of the powerband?

Also wish I had a lathe for half the shit you've shown us

What did you do to the rear for it to ride lower?

This has no rear. And there is no God.

I just steeped up the first 1/3 of variation on both sides. I realized I have more issues though due to it being a swinging engine and it looks like I was held up other ways ....

The spring assembly was bottoming out before full variation (fixed it)

The intake starts hitting the frame (fixing it today)

Might have to experiment with moving my engine mount clamp to give the engine more swing.

IMG_6076.JPG

I did have to lighten the weights a bunch, 15g down to 12.

I control shift with my variator brake so as long as my weights aren't way too heavy I just control everything manually. It makes for a very fast bike.

I would have preferred to just cut the variator but couldn't get the belt height I needed that way alone because the TJT doesn't have enough meat to cut out without destroying itself.. I still gotta braze and fix the one I fucked up by cutting too far.

If there were 15mm belts in standard AX sizes I wouldn't have to deal with this bullshit.

Oh as far as spacing the vari I have the best best best solution.

Add a series of plastic or fiber washers between the ramp plate and the vari, floating on the boss.

NOT PINCHED BETWEEN THE RAMP PLATE AND THE BOSS in the threaded area..

The floating washers stop the vari from opening too far, and you can custom space for whatever belt you want to use.

As well, the angle change on these allow a faster shift but controllable with weight adjustment and spring tension. I'm using very little spring tension(edited)

So I've learned something interesting...

For some reason, perhaps because of changing both the fixed cheek angle and vari angle, that it resists shifting at takeoff. It holds its initial belt position for a bit too long. Haven't figured that out, could be belt slippage, or the steeper angles resist shifting with the weights Im using. Going to put some miles on it tomorrow and see I can figure it out.

I've played with modifying only one pulley angle before, usually the vari side...and it almost always makes the bike quicker, and keeps the shift nice. But never both angles. Maybe not a good idea?

The good thing is that the clutch bell fixed cheek angle can be recut to be stock again if I need to do it, just be pushed back 2mm which I can space the vari for and won't be a big deal. I've done that on a rusted bell that turned out pretty good.

I'd hate to lose the extra variation I've gained from this mod (about 6mm more variation on the cheek) but I don't know if I can even pull it. I guess we'll see tomorrow(edited)

kevin Smellaflange /

dual variator bb104 style?

Maybe the weights just aren't heavy enough? I'm sure you've tried that though. Maybe the new angle doesn't match the belt so it's slipping and trying to settle on the angle before it can variate ?

Very possible.

Belt isn't getting hot tho. I just kinda shift out of it like you shift a ZA. Drop throttle for a sec. it got better throughout the day, I think I'll lessen the initial angle if I can just to see if I can minimize the initial stick.

Today's ride was excellent though.

The new added variation was pulled no prob. This shit is faster for sure.

I have come to the conclusion that on some variated bikes (most variated bikes actually) that they can accelerate faster through revs alone, with variation being locked in place, then reposition the shift point and rev thru the band again.

It's been really cool to use this variation brake, I cannot say enough about it.

IMG_6158.JPG

Yeah I looked at it today and I made the fixed cheek too vertical with not enough angle near the boss. So I'm gonna split the difference and run whatever angle will meet up with the top edge of the pulley so it has a consistent angle al the way thru.

Then if that doesn't work I'll keep increasing the angle until it does.

Megasaurass wRexckses /

That slip flange is cool too!

What slip flange?

Megasaurass wRexckses /

Ball joint duh :)

Ohhhhhh yes it's wonderful

Tried to see what the prob was, much too flat on the fixed side, so I split the angle difference between almost full variation top of pulley and the already cut bottom at the boss.

Pretty sure it'll fix it, now the belt has some difference in angle from stock but not obscene, spread out that angle boiiii

IMG_6277.JPG

Now for it to stop raining.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account