> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Beautiful paint job.

>

> killed it on the paint job!

Thank You

Re: Puch Maxi rebuild

Maserat Maserat /

After totaling all my costs without labor of course, I spent much less than I thought so I am currently looking around for another one cheap to totally restore, my 20yr old son and I are having a blast with this one so why not build another! The next one will most likely be blue and black.

Mel FromZelie /

We just redid my '77 with very a very similar setup.

70cc Treats party with the "custom cut sport/touring" head. 15mm bing (with MLM intake and air filter).

techno circuit (not proma circuit) pipe - so close.

Our timing is at around 14.5-15ish. 14-45 gears (stock). We get 38 mph out of it on the flat, max.. We have an 85 jet in it... it does 4-stroke a little at the top end- I have an 84 on order.

My concern is heat - what temps are you getting? When I drive it up a big (and we have *steep* hills here) - we are close to 400. Normal operating like 340. I changed the front gear to 16, but it didn't really help with the heat, and really made it sluggish on take-off.

Treats said it should be in the 320-340 operating normally... but we shouldn't be pushing the 400.

Maserat Maserat /

> Mel FromZelie Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> We just redid my '77 with very a very similar setup.

>

> 70cc Treats party with the "custom cut sport/touring" head. 15mm bing

> (with MLM intake and air filter).

>

> techno circuit (not proma circuit) pipe - so close.

>

> Our timing is at around 14.5-15ish. 14-45 gears (stock). We get 38 mph

> out of it on the flat, max.. We have an 85 jet in it... it does 4-stroke

> a little at the top end- I have an 84 on order.

>

> My concern is heat - what temps are you getting? When I drive it up a

> big (and we have *steep* hills here) - we are close to 400. Normal

> operating like 340. I changed the front gear to 16, but it didn't

> really help with the heat, and really made it sluggish on take-off.

>

> Treats said it should be in the 320-340 operating normally... but we

> shouldn't be pushing the 400.

Our hills are on the steep side, The highest temp I reached was 385, it normally runs from high 200s to low 300s I was four stroking at full throttle down to an 83 jet I haven't done a plug chop yet but I will play around with jetting a little more. Also I read somewhere that guys are running in the low 400s with no issue.

Mel FromZelie /

I blew up my kstar kit (that came on the bike when I bought it) when I hit around 416 this summer.. but I also had a massive air leak unbeknownst to me at the time... hence the total rebuild.. so I am a little skittish about temps at this point.

Maserat Maserat /

> Mel FromZelie Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I blew up my kstar kit (that came on the bike when I bought it) when I

> hit around 416 this summer.. but I also had a massive air leak

> unbeknownst to me at the time... hence the total rebuild.. so I am a

> little skittish about temps at this point.

I'm sure the vacuum leak killed it, I check for leaks after any change but still ended up with one at the carb to intake connection which caused me grief thinking it was a jetting issue. I did some reading about how the exhaust gasses work on a 2 stroke and how advanced timing will hurt the top end, I'm going to play with timing to see if I can get it down from 17 to 15. Did you change your crank?

Mel FromZelie /

Yes.. changed it to one with the roller bearings from treats.. I had to.. the other one was broke.. the connecting rod looks llike a "S"

Cool stuff. I'm a 56 year old, reliving my 15 year old self. Great restore on the Puch. I got the same model, year, color I bought new at 15. 78 Puch Maxi Sport in pearl green. Course, they are like chips, so I had to get a second, so I have a matching 80, so friends and family can join me. Working on restoring them both to good operation. No fancy paint jobs at this point. I like the vintage look.

People ask me all the time where to get one, and I tell them "The eighties" LOL.

Great job, but you should be hitting some better numbers with that kit. I live on a steep hill, so understand your gearing concerns.

Maserat Maserat /

Ok, I played with the point gap, it's set to about .015 I used a piece of cardboard that I measured with a caliper (I'll get a feeler gauge and re check) this caused the timing to go from 17 to 15 degrees btdc, it now pulls a little less at low end and tops out a 31.

« Go to Topic — end of thread