Something to Slap Together

So, I ended up with all these NOS parts. A set of E50 cases, already matched to boot. It all came with a couple mopeds I bought last fall. This is just part of the load. I guess now is good of a time as any to slap it together and throw it on a Free Spirit.

image.jpeg

Re: Something to Slap Together

oh man that feeling you get when you open a brand new toob of yamabond...

Go for it, good luck!

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> oh man that feeling you get when you open a brand new toob of

> yamabond...

I know it! Gets me motorvated! I've got 3 E50's to build, but I still gotta buy kits for the other two.

Here we go...

Okay. The bottom end is together. All brand new unstuffed roller crank, bearings & seals. So all these parts I'm putting together came from treats around 12 years ago, according to the receipt I found. I have a couple questions.

1) Ignition. It came with a Treats CDI party. Should I run that, or should I run a points ignition? I have an extra points setup, if needed. Are these 12 year old CDI units decent/reliables?

2) Kstar. I've filled my feeble mind with tons of reading on this kit in the wiki. I'm going to install it as it came, without porting or modifying the piston. For now. I'll chamfer the ports a bit tho. Is there anything I need to know about the install, or is it pretty straight forward, with nothing wierd?

3) Carburetor. It came with a Dellorto PHBG 21 mm. Is this a little big, or will it be okay? It also came with a Tecno Boss Fuego pipe, that I'm going to run because I have it.

^4) what intake should I run if I stick with the PHBG 21?

You know that cardboard is property of the USA postal service!

I feel like they get pissed about my gaint carboard fort.

Secret password:usps

That ignition works well, just have to wire your brake lights, head light, tail light and horn all into one wire. Make sure you use a voltage regulator and move the brown wire on the back of the stator to the front. If you plan on using the Peitcard cdi box the wiring goes from stator: brown gets grounded, white goes to grey on pietcard, red goes to blue on pietcard, and yellow goes to yellow on voltage regulator. black on the pietcard gets grounded and red on pietcard connects to the only prong on the HT coil. from the voltage regulator, connect all lighting to the red wire.

If its a clamp mount phbg and its going on a maxi, just get the cheap one and lap it. Its the only off the shelf intake you can use with unmodified side covers and it's has a square port, so that's nice. Only bummer is removing the intake everytime you want to make a jet change, but once its tuned how often will you be makig adjustments? If its a spigot mounted carb and you arent running side covers you can use a stock exhaust header. Gotta get the Dremel out for that one though.

Thanks for the info, Daniel. Carb looks to be a standard clamp mount. It's going on a Free Spirit without side covers.

image.jpg

CDI question: Does the stator come set up for E50 or ZA50? Wondering if I need to flip the coil? The arrow on the flywheel is counter clockwise.

Here it is, As it came, but with the brown wire put on top, and the long screw switched with the short one. Did not flip the coil. Should I?

image.jpg

It comes set up for e50. The arrow is backwards on the flywheel.

Cool. Thanks.

Project is starting to come together. Mounted the engine today. Then threw a new set of 2.50-17 Gazelles on it. Tread pattern direction is opposite that of City Pro's, hmm. They look good on there tho. Couldn't mount the pipe yet. The bend is a little too tight. I'm gonna take it out to the farm tomorrow and heat it with the torch, and straighten it out a bit so it lines up better. It'll add some cool blue rainbow effects too.

Speaking of blue, I can't believe someone bombed this thing blue. I wish it was still silver. No, it's not stolen; I've done a vin records check.

image.jpeg

Been wiring today. The bike had no wiring harness or switches whatsoever when I bought it, so I bought a Puch Murray harness & switches off Fleabay for $20 and put that on. I wired the CDI as per Daniel's direction, grounding all ground connections to shiny, bare metal. I ran the positive from the voltage regulator to another wiring block for lights, etc.

Can I connect the headlight, taillight, brake light and horn circuits all from this one lead? Or do I need to eliminate brake light and horn functions?

Yup all to one lead.

I wish a puck was still silver

It was back when the country was strong...

Those ignitions are shit, tons of stuff posted on them, good luck. I wouldn't go and rewire the whole bike just yet. I have 3 of them and flywheels all way out of balance too.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> I wish a puck was still silver

>

> It was back when the country was strong...

>

> Those ignitions are shit, tons of stuff posted on them, good luck. I

> wouldn't go and rewire the whole bike just yet. I have 3 of them and

> flywheels all way out of balance too.

Lol, too late. Wrapped up the wiring this evening. Maybe I'll get lucky. What's a better option; points ignition or is there a better CDI?

Its pretty easy to undo the cdi and swap back to a 12v points set up. If you wanted to go big dollar baller, powerdynamo all day. But the hpi 210 goes out just as much as these cdi cheapo setups. The q.c. isn't great so I have had mixed results over the years. They will either never break or fry in 10-300 miles.

Thanks Daniel. I'm gonna run it; it's already wired up. Wiring is simple enough to put back to stock if needed. I've got this stuff on hand, so I may as well just use it til it pukes, then switch it. This build is mainly for me to gain practice and experience with. I've got another engine that I wanna build either a Gila or a Polini with down the road.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> But the hpi 210

> goes out just as much as these cdi cheapo setups.

man i don't agree with that at all, i have 3 of these puch CDI setups that i've tried in countless combinations over the years and none of them has lasted past about 2 hours of run time. The only way i was even able to get one to work longer than a few minutes was to put a motobecane pickup coil on it, individually ground loop everything and solder/pot all the connections. That one still runs (in theory) but i took it off to do some other experiments.

Just about everyone i know has an HPI inner or mini rotor and i know lots of folks that have 1000's of miles on them. I've never bought one myself but if they were really frying out that often you wouldn't see so many bikes running around year after year.

if you're already committed, give it a shot, but unless i NEED the retard feature, i stick to points every time. The 3055 pietcard setup has been the most reliable/cheapest CDI that i've found, but even that has some issues.

Now that i'm rebuilding my polini ZA for this summer, i'm going to a tomos 4-coil trigger-less with a parmakit box. That seems to be the ultimate for power output and reliability with a curve.

In my years of wrenching on my personal bikes, I've blown 2 hpi and 1 treats. Both hpi cracked the epoxy potting and started shorting out on the cases, those shits are not cheap, the treat just needed a new pick-up, cheap cheap. I put one on my daily driver last month with a 2041 box and its been great. I actually haven't had a trigger or box go out when using the Peitcard 2041 box.

thats crazy, my 2041 box lasted all of about 15 seconds.... oh well, china quality control on both items, what'cha gonna do?

We'll see what happens with mine. When it dies, I'll put the points back on. Hopefully I'm not in the woods when it quits.

Let's talk carb jetting and such for a second. I'm putting in a treats order for the last few things I need for this one, and some parts for the next free spirit I'm working on. About where will I be jetting at with the PHBG 21mm?

I currently have misc main jets ranging 68-97. It also came to me with 2 smaller idle jets? 45 & 55. And a W-9 needle. I'm reading the Dellorto manual, and tuning guide, but I would like a close starting point.

What pipe are you running and what slide is in the carb? The 45 idle jet and w9 needle should be alright. your probably gonna land in the 85-95 range on the main jet. It all depends on your timing, the carb slide and your pipe. 40 or 50 slide with those jets should get you in the ball park though.

I'm not sure what slide. The carb is brand new, so whatever slide it came with, but I haven't opened it up yet. I'm putting on a Tecno Boss Fuego pipe.

Make sure you have the au atomizer. Id start at an 88 main 45 idle. You might need to go down to a 40 idle.

Okay, the carb came with #40 slide, AU 262 atomizer, 100 main jet, 50 idle jet, w-3 needle, and 60 start jet.

I changed to 93 main jet, 45 idle, w-9 needle second to lowest notch. Timing 18 btdc. I'll start there

I was typing that as you posted, Daniel. I'll change it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account