Re: Something to Slap Together

W3 is a bit richer than the w9 needle, if you have a half throttle flat spot swap it back to the w3.

Okay. I read that OG throttle control won't open the slide fully. Is that accurate? I have an aftermarket assy I can use, but I was saving it for the next one.

A magura will open all the way, no problems there. Its gonna be kind of a long pull though.

Fun fact about the cheap puch cdi, you can swap over all the goods from the av10 cdi with minimal effort. Reuse the puch flywheel and time without a woodruff key.

I've only had one irreparable breakdown that was ignition related and it was a cooked HPI. I trust them enough for a bike I would commute on but not enough for a bike I rely on for commuting if that makes sense.

FWIW I had 3 HPI mini stators fail between 2014 and 2017. All of them the epoxy failed on the ignition coil and I lost spark. None of them failed right away though. I got close to a year of use out of each ... but they all eventually left me sitting. Twice at rallies, once at work on a friday. Super frustrating because I loved the performance and the bright lights.

I'm not totally writing off HPI as a company though, I have an inner rotor on my moped that has been used on different bikes since I got it in 2013. Freaking love the thing. It has thousands of miles on it. Works great to this day, just have to get creative with lighting.

Treats showed up today, and included is the Treats PHBG square intake. When mounting on my Free Spirit, there is clearance issues with the frame. The top of the carb hits the frame pretty bad unless I tilt the carb at an angle to the left. Is that going to be an issue? I see in the Dellorto manual that it can run at up to a 40 degree angle front to back, but is right to left okay? I wish there was a better square intake.

Yea I figured it would hit right there on the tube frame bikes, I don't think its gonna be that big of an issue. Mlm just put out a square port intake for Puchs that might be good? Havent used it yet, but looks like its perfect for the dmp/tccd/airsal 70. basically any of the "new style" cylinder fin kits will have no issues. On a version 1.0 k-star or Airsal 64 you will have to shave some of the intake down or cut some fins off to get it to bolt up.

I'm thinking about grinding down the flange on this one about half the thickness, then decking it flat on a cinder block, then glass. I'm a little concerned about warpage of this cheap pot metal if I do, but it's pretty thick as it is. I still don't think it will clear or sit level, but it would improve. I just don't know if it's necessary or worth the effort. It's not that bad of an angle.

That's a good idea. Id hit it with a belt sander and then lap it, I bet you could knock a 1/4 inch off it and be fine.

Yeah, I was thinking about 1/4 inch too. It's so thick as is. That would really gain me a lot I think. I'll give it a shot & I'll take a couple before and after pics.

Just make sure you have room under the carb to make it lower. It might need to be that tall to clear the cases.

And , I don't think there's a law that saws that flange has to be the same angle as original .

IOW , you could possibly grind it on an angle to maybe end up with a better level and clearance for the carb .

But , I'm not there looking at what you have , so ???

I'm glad you mentioned that, Daniel. I would have pulled a complete bonehead move tomorrow and destroyed a brand new intake. I woulda blamed it on the weed. That's exactly what they did. I really can't take anything off; maybe 1/8" but that would be pushing it and not gain much. I mocked it up after I got home from Costco a few minutes ago.

PD, for that same reason, I can't change the angle, or it wouldn't line up with the carb well on top of the engine. I'm just gonna leave it as is; it's only an out a 10-15 degree tilt left.

I remember the stock carb being a real tight fit on the tube frame bike, much more so than a maxi.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yea totally fine, just don't let the carb sit flush against the frame.

Yeah, I'll leave a little gap so it doesn't rub. Gaskets not in it yet, and the clamps not tight, but the pic is close to final position.

She’s alive! Sounds pretty good. Need a little bit of fine-tuning and adjusting but all in all it sounds pretty good out of the box. Thank you to everyone who helped me and offered advice and pointers on this, I really do appreciate it. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the future.

Took it down a back road for a quick test ride. Bear in mind that this is my first time kitting, or riding a kitted moped, so forgive my adolescent excitement, but WOW! I wasn't expecting THAT much difference. It's like riding a little dirt bike, and I felt 6 years old again. At least until I plowed a pothole that I couldn't see and about jarred the screws loose in my spine. Nope, not six anymore. But still, the power was impressive. I can't wait to build a real kit. One step at a time. Anyway, enough of that.

Here's the scoop. Runs great so far. Maybe a little boggy in the first 1/8 or so. Felt strong and responsive thru the mids, maybe a hair flat, but not bad. Didn't spend much time WOT, just a couple short bursts of a few seconds, but long enough to peg the 40 mph speedo., but never maxed out. I need to get out of town and open it up, but I need a temp gauge first.

Clutch. I put kickstart springs in, two turns in from flush. May need to turn em in another turn. I wouldn't mind if it slipped just a hair more uphill. Didn't brace it; do I need to with this mild build?

Lights. I had lights when I left, but not when I got back. I noticed that they would fluctuate with rpm's a lot, and get quite bright at high revs. You probably noticed the taillight in the video. Im guessing the regulator isn't regulating, and I popped the bulbs.

What else... I love the size of a Free Spirit.

That is all. (edited)

Checked for power coming out of the red wire on the voltage regulator, and I got nothin. so I checked the yellow wire, and I got nothing coming out of the yellow wire from the stator. Damn cheap Chinese electronics. That didn't last long. But it still runs. Really thinking about switching back to points so it doesn't leave me stranded. We'll see.

Edit: Started it back up. lights started working again. WTF! Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right. (edited)

Question: With this PHBG 21 with 88 main, 45 idle, W9 needle, 40 slide and NO air filter it runs pretty good. Snappy throttle response, pulls strong thru mids, and keeps pulling WOT. Rips pretty good; I'm impressed with it. However, If I put any kind of air filter on it, even a single layer of pantyhose, I lose all power. Still runs and idles, but bogs big time. I pulled the plug, and it's dark coffee and wet. My instincts tell me main jet is too big, but maybe I need the W3 needle instead. I wanna try the 85 jet. I'm inexperienced with PHBG carbs. Which should I try first? I would like to run a metal mesh filter on it.

88 is the magic number with no filter. With a filter it is probably 78-85.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account