Seriously new to mopeds - put a kit on a Hobbit - what jet?

Barry (Bob) Brown /

I recently restored an old Hobbit 20mph version and put on Boyesen reeds (got 3mph with them), pipe and a DR 70cc kit. I think the original jet is a 60 in the carb now, do I need to re jet? if so, I did buy a 70 and an 80 but wasn't sure what to do next.

Re: Seriously new to mopeds - put a kit on a Hobbit - what jet?

I dont think you had a 20mph designated hobbit as the reed cage, cases and a few other minor things are different on those than your normal hobbit. Most things take a little more work to bolt on. I would say youre gonna be in the 80-90 range

You'll probably end up needing an 88 or 90 Jet. Look at the WIKI and search moped army via google search. example: "kit hobbit jet site:mopedarmy.com"

If you slapped a DR kit on a pa50I youll need lower than a 90 because of the quite restrictive intake and exhaust porting. You are going to be quite disappointed in the performance increase vs changing the pa50I part for a pa50II.

If he changed the reed cage, pipe and kit, what other engine restrictions are there on a pa1? Variator? Carb? What else?

Jack Rutherford /

Barry (Bob) Brown /

I installed the new dr kit without modding the case, which people say I shouldn't be able to? I did get a new intake/carb and just purchased a 90 jet. I took it out after I put on the kit (before jetting) and it already is way faster at half throttle while I break it in. Was thinking the 90 jet and possibly a performance variator might be all I need to achieve what I want, which is 40-45mph. Not looking to do wheelies and do mad dyno's, just keep up with the pack.

Do you have a temp gauge?

Hobbits get hot quick and kinda are forgiving until they lock up solid. Seen a few people go down because of this.

Dirty30 Dillon /

With a PA50i you cannot insert the skirt of a standard kit.

I wouldn't be riding it around or "breaking it in" without putting a bigger jet in. Your asking to seize it. If you only bought a 90 your going to need to order slot more jets. I'd get 80,82,84,86,88 and 90. Start with the 90 and if it 4 strokes go to the the 88 and keep stepping it down until it doesn't 4stroke anymore.

Also the stock variator should be fine for 40-45mph.

I'd still look into getting an aftermarket one so that you can change your weights though. Also look into stiffer clutch springs later on down the road. Just get your kit going and tuned right first

Barry (Bob) Brown /

so not knowing a whole lot about these, I assumed I had a PA50I - it was red/white, 1978 and a single reed block. Maybe the new kit works cause I honestly bolted her right up. - this kit:

Treatland hobbit kit

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Just ordered a party pack of jets. Thanks for the insight. Will be getting a new variator soon too.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If he changed the reed cage, pipe and kit, what other engine

> restrictions are there on a pa1? Variator? Carb? What else?

Both intakes (under the carb and the rubber snorkel). the DR should be a bolt-on with the pa-i. Otherwise, everything Daniel mentioned.

> Barry (Bob) Brown Wrote:

> Just ordered a party pack of jets. Thanks for the insight. Will be

> getting a new variator soon too.

I would recommend nothing but this kit.. TJT/Treats plate for hobbit

You will likely have to get a treats crank too though, the 70cc kit and bigger variator combo will break your stock crank eventually. If you're doing that, you might as will get the party kit that includes new bearings and seals.

> Barry (Bob) Brown Wrote:

> so not knowing a whole lot about these, I assumed I had a PA50I - it was

> red/white, 1978 and a single reed block. Maybe the new kit works cause I

> honestly bolted her right up. - this kit:

>

> Treatland hobbit kit

Everyone has told me that kits shouldn't bolt up to my case. I have two 1978 pa50is, and both have been kitted (DR, Polini, Autisa) without needing to modify the cases. It might be only on 78's that you can bolt a kit on, I'm not sure. They were both bone stock and slow as shit when I bought them.

to the OP you should post your full setup, do you have a pipe? stock pa-1 pipe shouldn't bolt up either since it has a smaller spigot where it mounts... but you might have managed to jam it in there.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Yup, must be 78's, and yes they are slow as shit - first firing up got it up to 17mph - whoo-hoo - it was ready for bonneville!

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Setup so far as of today:

1978 Hobbit PA50I

DR Kit 70cc Kit w/custom cut high comp head

Jammy Pipe

PA50II Intake and carb - with 90 jet to start (party pack of even jets comes in tomorrow 78 to 88)

Boyesen dual-stage reeds

Trail Tech temp gauge

TJT Variator w/ramp plate and stuffy crank ordered, but not sure I will install crank, may have local shop do this.

Standard crap - new points, tires, tubes, paint, bearings for front wheel, ignition w/keys, led bulbs for taillight/headlight.

Pic of before and after - still finishing paint on new front fender and aluminum side covers/footrests.

hobbit.jpg
After.JPG

Good looking Hobbit. Double check the rubber snorkel intake - you’ll want to replace the brown one with the black one (or just remove it altogether) if using the Hobbit carb.

Damn, are those the same wheels? The bike looks great. If you want the crank installed I've done a few and they're super easy to do; I'd do it for you for a case of beer. I live up in like the Short North/University District. I hope you ordered new bearings/seals with the crank too.

What LED bulbs are you running in your headlight/tail light? Everything I've looked at has been super expensive

I ran a 92, and later a 95 jet for safety with no filter tray and the hole taped closed. If the tape came off I lost a good bit of power as the bike ran leaner.

A stock pa50I ramp plate will be lucky to break 45 even with a kit. The ramp angles are shallower than the higher spec version.

A pa50II vario, notched, with lighter weights got me an honest 56 mph on a DR/proma/12mm carb with 92 jet with points measured by gps on back to back runs in both directions which was then averaged. I have crappy video of one of the runs which I have posted multiple times over the years.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Had the snorkel out at first, replaced the element in the filter tray, then put the snorkel back. Will look for the black one.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Would take you up on the crank install - will pay good money too. the wheels didnt come back 100% - used rust medic on them, then sos pads to bring them back as much as I could.

Bulb I put in the headlight -

LED headlight conversion

tail lights -

taillight bulb 6v

Subscribed. New to the 2T world. Also just picked up a 78 and have the DR kit ready to install.

A210DC3C-124E-4AF1-B62B-8BAB98E7D53E.jpeg

> Michael Jarrett Wrote:

> Subscribed. New to the 2T world. Also just picked up a 78 and have the

> DR kit ready to install.

Looks good! Hobbits are so ridiculously easy to work on and make fast. Make sure you replace/modify the reedblock and get new reeds/carb jets or else you will be seriously starved with the DR kit

Barry (Bob) Brown /

I have a front horn cover if you need one - it's yellow but you can paint.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account