Anyone run a smart carb?

So in my search for my build I’m debating between a smart carb or a lectron, I had never heard of them before about a month ago and all the research I have done shows them to be pretty great! But I haven’t seen anyone post about it on here so I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with them? They are definitely pricey but if they save on gas, lower edmissions,make about 1hp over conventional carb and are 1000x easier to tune im game. Let me know what everyone thinks

Re: Anyone run a smart carb?

1hp more on a 1.5hp engine, yeah sure.. and also more than already near 100mpg in most cases. Don't believe the hype, it is still just a jetless carburetor. I'm sure the benefits can be seen on the Harley's and banshees they sell the kits for but we are talking about mopeds.(edited)

Is the price worth it?

Why you gotta put down mopeds lol but yeah I know there just small 2 strokes but considering I’m doing an all out build and running VP racing fuel I feel like the ease of tuning would be great!!!

Then move to fuel injection.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Lectron don't make a carb in the realm of most moped builds, I have already chatted with them about it.

No build warrants a lectron. $450 carbs are for Moto Boi stuff.

Douglas Binder /

fwiw, I will be starting my fuel injection conversion soon. I will be documenting it om this forum.

It's been done but proved to never be very reliable and the need for a battery left the run time finite unless you could produce quite a bit of power.

kevin Smellaflange /

my 400 RD yamerhammer had LECTRON's

i like'd the see through float bowls.

Douglas Binder /

Ryan, good point. My run times are less than 5 minutes. between runs I will be swapping out batteries. I should have considered it.

With a decent lithium battery I think Matt got close to 30 miles on his battery running on a dead loss.

Some ignitions allow for battery charging such as kokusan ignition for Puch E50

Steve Gonzalez /

> Douglas Binder Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> fwiw, I will be starting my fuel injection conversion soon. I will be

> documenting it om this forum.

Keep us posted! I think it’s great. Carburetors work fine, but it’s fun to tinker and come up with something different.

Yeah smallest lectron carb is what, 30mm?? over kill for any moped. Plus like dillon said, they are very expensive. Learn to tune a normal carb. Even a big ol 74cc Gila e50 build is perfectly happy being fed with a 21mm carb.

Mopeds aside, does anyone have experience with these carbs? Are they significantly better than the Dellortos & Mikunis we all run?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Josh G Wrote:

> Mopeds aside, does anyone have experience with these carbs? Are they

> significantly better than the Dellortos & Mikunis we all run?

I haven't made the investment to purchase one of these, and I am kinda torn because I get the feeling a lot of the hype surrounding them is moreso due to having spent the money on it.

We have a lectron at our shop, 36mm i believe. It was used on my friends yz250 when he raced hare scrambles. The way he explained it, there are benefits to using one on a dirtbike when riding in dynamic conditions. Bumps, elevation, weather, dirty air filter, type of course, they all play a factor into fueling the engine. Having a knob to adjust on the fly is beneficial. They may give you some extra hp on bigger CC bikes, but the real benefits stem from ease of tuning.

From quality stand point, they are super well made products and have really good customer support.

I haven't made the investment to buy a smart carb but its Looks great. How much can you find one of these ?

is a smart carb compatible with alexa?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> P8R . Wrote:

> is a smart carb compatible with alexa?

Lectron, do 100

There were some folks who had lectrons on mopeds but theyre definitely way oversized and way overpriced for mopeds, 30 is the smallest? You're not gonna get a 30mm intake so, that's pretty useless. Bobby had bought a drag racing kart engine that had a lectron 32 on it. I think he decided it was no real advantage to it and that it was worth more for sale than on a bike.

They do sell em for the KTM65, but that's got a really big intake and reedblock. I bet you could get enough room on a hobbit with Dio/Vforce parts to actually utilize it, maybe on an AV10 or 103, but probably not anything that isn't case reeds. I guess maybe Gila could use it.

Another note, they are fucking huge. even the 30mm is like the size of like 6 iphones stacked on top of each other.

Dirty30 Dillon /

@willD I think the 65cc sized carbs are 28mm, but that's still huge.

I kinda looking into this for my Cagiva125, but if I was going to spend that much I would just spend half that and buy a real Keihin PWK or a Dellorto VHSB

baby Nick swoop bought one for his kitted up GPR/ke100 bike but I don't think he's run it yet.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account