Anybody ever run a frenchy engine in an hs50?

Always wanted an hs50 but i dont like the idea of screwing with the laura. obviously, the drive system bears a striking resemblance to the french bikes. was thinking of a av10 or 103 swap... im sure that i could figure it out, the mounts will be and interesting hurdle tho, it appears that the bushings are part of the motor instead of the frame.... just curious if its been done b4...(it probably has)

Re: Anybody ever run a frenchy engine in an hs50?

You ever heard of a Batavus Grand Prix?

Josiah Radebaugh /

^^^^^^

Dirty30 Dillon /

The Grand Prix is it's own entity.

He's discussing modifying the stock HS/VA-50 Subframe to accept a swinging french motor.

My assessment: It could work, but you are going to end up doing a LOT of fabrication to rebuild the mount location and make appropriate clearancing for the spring and carb which is now directly in the way of the stock subframe.

IF you are looking for a project build, do it.

If you are looking just to replace your motor for ease of parts and maintenance, it may just be easier to keep the M48 going.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

103 would definitely be the easiest as Batavus made bikes with Peugeot engines on them a an organized collaboration between companies. It would however take a lot of work and modification of the frame, mounts and all whole list of tiny things. (edited)

Its easiest to get a Peugeot frame, cut the mounts off of it and utilize the whole Peugeot swing arm and rear wheel. The pivot in the middle of the bike will really suck with a swinging motor, not to mention that the pipes on Peugeot are like 2 inches off the ground. An ex fleet memeber has a mobat with a 103 and it is pretty terrifying, he broke his pipe and flipped it when he hit a pot hole.

+1 for the subframe thing, the hs50's are already their own kinda weird subframe dealio plus they got those nice big metal sidecovers so you could probably make it look pretty cohesive.

Yes I know about the grandprix. Not interested, I really like the hs50/mobat......looks like I might buy a janky bike and figure somthing our ..maybe a Hobbit subframe...hell, maybe I'll get really weird and find a way to hang a Hobbit engine like it was a frenchy ..got one of those nos 60cc engines around here somewhere..

reynie domingo /
IMG_20180805_071105_542.jpg
IMG_20180805_071105_542.jpg

French hobbit

thats pretty neat....where is the carb!

reynie domingo /
IMG_20180825_165815.jpg

15mm phbg

wow thats a nice build, i love the exhaust mount point.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

A Peugeot with a Hobbit engine and a Puch head, cool.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account