Re: Mbk 51 project

> reynie domingo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I raced that kit and tore it down after to inspect, layers of nikasil

> came off on the intake side, exhaust side had blisters, like the plating

> is lifting off. I’m sticking with the Malossi gr1 kit, it needs more

> porting to get power from it but so much better quality. Bidalot kits

> are nice too but too expensive.

Yikes. I hope I can get a few smiles out of mine before I put another engine on the bike.

About the mvt kit, did yours come with the coated piston and a base spacer?

Mine came with a different, uncoated mvt engraved piston that needed the skirt cut for the boost port.

reynie domingo /

Yeah it came with metal spacer and dark coating piston, already had cutout on the piston.

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

> Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

> I think I may need to make the pivot rod longer because if I bring the

> pipe up any higher it interferes with the spring.

>

> Do you know if people usually use the longer (843mm) belts with this

> spring setup?

>

> I have a malossi and Doppler av10 belt and with them the spring will

> need around an inch or more preload to mount

>

> under the frame with a bracket.

>

> Once I get the spring mounted I can move on to the exhaust mount and

> d check baffle clearance

Doppler belt is too short and narrow, throw it away. Bando belt is almost perfect. Just a touch too long unless you really setup the engine properly. The angle and width is perfect for bidalot vario, it will stick out the top of doppler pulley and vario however (not a huge deal though). Also works best on malossi vario.

As for your spring issue, I think you have the spring installed incorrectly. It needs to be more forward on the engine; looks like it's set back. If you move it forward, the pipe should clear and once you readjust your frame mount for the spring it will make the belt a bit tighter. (See photo)

Don't run a longer exhaust arm. Longer means it will get lower faster and probably hit the floor in a turn. You want it shorter (even shorter than the stock doppler length). But a rule of thumb I've followed is to make the exhaust arm straight at almost to full variation and make sure the exhaust ball joint is inline with the exhaust that way as well so it's properly doing it's job without kinks. Hope this helps.

1941576_10203344497146812_2908798586119604623_o.jpg

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, the ninja remade pipes have the exhaust hanger mount welded to far forward. Cut it off and reweld it further back. Not sure why they keep doing that but I think it's meant to fit the Proto frames better than the MBK ones.

> NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) Wrote:

> Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, the ninja remade pipes have the

> exhaust hanger mount welded to far forward. Cut it off and reweld it

> further back. Not sure why they keep doing that but I think it's meant

> to fit the Proto frames better than the MBK ones.

That's what I was thinking but those are usually running engines way more horizontally, like a 103 almost.

I think I can get it mounted higher up.

The springs I was using to attach the pipe were different lengths and I wasn't able to position it very well.

Here's a better pic of the spring mounted.

The longer belt ought to move the engine forward enough to get the rod end of the spring where it needs to be.

You definitely can get it mounted higher up. I can't seem to find my old pictures (it's been a few years since I did moped stuff). You can probably reference the classic groupe 2 mbk design here since it used the real carte noir pipe (G2) which has similar mounts. Whoever designed this bike had a rear disk so he had to drop it a few centimeters. But, if you move everything up and get it as close to the swingarm and launch lever as possible, it will be tidy. Good luck!

http://mobylette.mobcustom.com/mbk-51-cf-groupe-2.html

> NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) Wrote:

> You definitely can get it mounted higher up. I can't seem to find my old

> pictures (it's been a few years since I did moped stuff). You can

> probably reference the classic groupe 2 mbk design here since it used

> the real carte noir pipe (G2) which has similar mounts. Whoever designed

> this bike had a rear disk so he had to drop it a few centimeters. But,

> if you move everything up and get it as close to the swingarm and launch

> lever as possible, it will be tidy. Good luck!

>

> http://mobylette.mobcustom.com/mbk-51-cf-groupe-2.html

Thanks. I got the stinger bent and I can pull the pipe up another inch or two in the rear.

I ordered the bando belt and a chain and some other miscellaneous odds and ends.

Once I put some proper spacers on the front wheel I can get the caliper mounted.

Looks like I will need a really thick bracket or m8 spacers, at least 1/2" thick.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account