Re: Mbk 51 project

> reynie domingo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I raced that kit and tore it down after to inspect, layers of nikasil

> came off on the intake side, exhaust side had blisters, like the plating

> is lifting off. I’m sticking with the Malossi gr1 kit, it needs more

> porting to get power from it but so much better quality. Bidalot kits

> are nice too but too expensive.

Yikes. I hope I can get a few smiles out of mine before I put another engine on the bike.

About the mvt kit, did yours come with the coated piston and a base spacer?

Mine came with a different, uncoated mvt engraved piston that needed the skirt cut for the boost port.

reynie domingo /

Yeah it came with metal spacer and dark coating piston, already had cutout on the piston.

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

> Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

> I think I may need to make the pivot rod longer because if I bring the

> pipe up any higher it interferes with the spring.

>

> Do you know if people usually use the longer (843mm) belts with this

> spring setup?

>

> I have a malossi and Doppler av10 belt and with them the spring will

> need around an inch or more preload to mount

>

> under the frame with a bracket.

>

> Once I get the spring mounted I can move on to the exhaust mount and

> d check baffle clearance

Doppler belt is too short and narrow, throw it away. Bando belt is almost perfect. Just a touch too long unless you really setup the engine properly. The angle and width is perfect for bidalot vario, it will stick out the top of doppler pulley and vario however (not a huge deal though). Also works best on malossi vario.

As for your spring issue, I think you have the spring installed incorrectly. It needs to be more forward on the engine; looks like it's set back. If you move it forward, the pipe should clear and once you readjust your frame mount for the spring it will make the belt a bit tighter. (See photo)

Don't run a longer exhaust arm. Longer means it will get lower faster and probably hit the floor in a turn. You want it shorter (even shorter than the stock doppler length). But a rule of thumb I've followed is to make the exhaust arm straight at almost to full variation and make sure the exhaust ball joint is inline with the exhaust that way as well so it's properly doing it's job without kinks. Hope this helps.

1941576_10203344497146812_2908798586119604623_o.jpg

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, the ninja remade pipes have the exhaust hanger mount welded to far forward. Cut it off and reweld it further back. Not sure why they keep doing that but I think it's meant to fit the Proto frames better than the MBK ones.

> NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) Wrote:

> Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, the ninja remade pipes have the

> exhaust hanger mount welded to far forward. Cut it off and reweld it

> further back. Not sure why they keep doing that but I think it's meant

> to fit the Proto frames better than the MBK ones.

That's what I was thinking but those are usually running engines way more horizontally, like a 103 almost.

I think I can get it mounted higher up.

The springs I was using to attach the pipe were different lengths and I wasn't able to position it very well.

Here's a better pic of the spring mounted.

The longer belt ought to move the engine forward enough to get the rod end of the spring where it needs to be.

You definitely can get it mounted higher up. I can't seem to find my old pictures (it's been a few years since I did moped stuff). You can probably reference the classic groupe 2 mbk design here since it used the real carte noir pipe (G2) which has similar mounts. Whoever designed this bike had a rear disk so he had to drop it a few centimeters. But, if you move everything up and get it as close to the swingarm and launch lever as possible, it will be tidy. Good luck!

http://mobylette.mobcustom.com/mbk-51-cf-groupe-2.html

> NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) Wrote:

> You definitely can get it mounted higher up. I can't seem to find my old

> pictures (it's been a few years since I did moped stuff). You can

> probably reference the classic groupe 2 mbk design here since it used

> the real carte noir pipe (G2) which has similar mounts. Whoever designed

> this bike had a rear disk so he had to drop it a few centimeters. But,

> if you move everything up and get it as close to the swingarm and launch

> lever as possible, it will be tidy. Good luck!

>

> http://mobylette.mobcustom.com/mbk-51-cf-groupe-2.html

Thanks. I got the stinger bent and I can pull the pipe up another inch or two in the rear.

I ordered the bando belt and a chain and some other miscellaneous odds and ends.

Once I put some proper spacers on the front wheel I can get the caliper mounted.

Looks like I will need a really thick bracket or m8 spacers, at least 1/2" thick.

Bando belt is on and got the exhaust mounted.

The launch lever rod clears a phbg by a few mm.

I switched out my forks for some ebr hydraulics. I wasn't happy with how wide the other forks were. After spacing the wheel I had 30mm spacer on one side and would've needed to figure out a 14.33mm spacer to mount the brake caliper.

I made a fork brace/ fender mount for the forks using 4mm aluminum. It took way longer than I anticipated but came out okay

I had to make 4 bends using a torch and vise.

Here is a Malossi mvr fender attached

Not sure the best way to attach the two.

I have hard plastic washers under the bolt heads and neoprene washers between the fender and brace, along with a huge neoprene fender washer sandwiched between the fender and brace.

Just need to paint the fender now.

I will do some research into painting fiberglass but I'm thinking primer should adhere if it is sanded beforehand.

I've been making progress slowly.

I bled my brake and have the caliper adapter almost finished.

Just need to finish sanding and drill the holes to mount it to the caliper.

I made a dash. It's mostly for the wc engine.

I got one of those treats halogen headlights and painted the bezel. Wasn't digging the chrome.

Need to figure a way to mount it securely. The headlight takes a 5mm bolt and the mount on the fork has an 8.5 mm hole.

My fender is painted. My seat fairing and rear fender is sitting in customs so hopefully it'll be here this week.

My airbox is connected to the carb. Just need to mount it to the crossbar.

Barack Obama /

This is crazy

My fiberglass pieces came. They sat in LA customs for a couple weeks but at least they are here.

Just a mock-up after cutting a bit to get them to fit where they need to

My 8 year old helped me lay some reinforcement on the underside of the seat and all of the mounting areas and stress points.

He liked working with the fiberglass .

Have to build up and sand the seat area to get a flat surface for mounting.

Just need to make a seat pan and weld some mounting points onto the swingarm and frame.

I'm gonna get the seat painted by a professional so it will be more durable.

I also got most of the bits for a future project

It's a derbi euro 2 with a bidalot wr70 cylinder.

There are conti variators and malossi variotop barrels being made for derbi cranks so I will be good with the transmission

Will have to reverse mount everything to get the variator on the left side of the engine or put all the drive line stuff on the right side of a bike.

Cool, does it already have the transmission cut off?

I cut off most of the unnecessary case material but need to cut down the area surrounding the seals on the transmission side.

I will be able to mount the ignition plate to the seal retainer bolt holes if I run the ignition on the right side as long as I space it out a bit.

Luke Stroehlein /

Very nice build. Is that a kx80 caliper? Looks just like mine.

Did you order that Eurocilindro from a seller called Blue or red Mobylette? That guy is selling crap . He does not use the right alloy and hardening process is with wrong heat on his cases has an overheat problem, sweating , threat problems and bearing housing are seized .....

> Luke Stroehlein Wrote:

> Very nice build. Is that a kx80 caliper? Looks just like mine.

Came off a kx100 but same as a kx80/85

> Otto M Wrote:

> Did you order that Eurocilindro from a seller called Blue or red

> Mobylette? That guy is selling crap . He does not use the right alloy

> and hardening process is with wrong heat on his cases has an overheat

> problem, sweating , threat problems and bearing housing are seized .....

They are from him

I haven't ran them yet but I didn't have any issues assembling them. The studs were a bit loose fitting.

I guess I'll find out when I throw that engine on the bike

Where on earth did you get that ninja?

> ◕ ‿ ◕ Wrote:

> Where on earth did you get that ninja?

Mir35 remade them last year. They had the Ninja and Bidalot g2 open pipes.

Vsx France was making some with swingarm mount.

I made my seat pan. I welded two pieces of flat bar to the frame.

The pan is 1/8" aluminum.

The seat area of the fairing was not flat so

I had to build up the underside and sand to get a flatter surface. I'm going to use some countersunk conical washers to mount the seat to the pan and cover the seat with some closed cell foam

Need to weld the other mount I made up to the front of the crossbar.

Still need to cut some of the fairing for gas cap, shock and airbox clearance.

I finished my swingarm. I made some mounting points for the fender from some sheet steel and welded nuts to the backsides.

It should make attaching the fender easier.

I spent a bunch of time priming, sanding and painting and then realized I only had matte clear coat.

I will have to get used to the matte finish

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account