Re: Mbk 51 project

> Dickie Thompson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hmm im hanging with mars tonight ill see if he has any opinions

Cool.

I wonder if I could find a frame cheap enough to experiment with down the road

Re: Mbk 51 project

You would be better off finding a crusty early 80s air cooled, mono shock, drum brake small enduro/motox. Like an Mx100 or cr80

Re: Mbk 51 project

I wish there was a motorcycle junkyard near me.

I would have to buy from eBay or the forum. There are a couple mb5 frames on eBay for not much more than any small mx frame.

I would think the extra weight of a motorcycle frame wouldn't matter too much with a 20+ hp scooter engine hanging off it

Re: Mbk 51 project

You need to do a road trip to Bob's in Phoenix, he has 'a few' bikes...

> Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I wish there was a motorcycle junkyard near me.

>

> I would have to buy from eBay or the forum. There are a couple mb5

> frames on eBay for not much more than any small mx frame.

>

> I would think the extra weight of a motorcycle frame wouldn't matter too

> much with a 20+ hp scooter engine hanging off it

Re: Mbk 51 project

Crap . I spent near a year around Phoenix and never even heard about Bob's . :(

Re: Mbk 51 project

DANG son, have to hit up the old folks for suggestions more often so you dont miss out...

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Crap . I spent near a year around Phoenix and never even heard about

> Bob's . :(

Re: Mbk 51 project

I have a couple but the shipping cost usually kills it. Swoops rally is just in May though. Comes up quicker than you think.

Re: Mbk 51 project

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> DANG son, have to hit up the old folks for suggestions more often so you

> dont miss out...

I'll have to do just that . ;)

Most of my life I've sat and listened to old folks telling their tales . I always gain knowledge .

Now , it seems not many want to know what use to be .

Re: Mbk 51 project

Dear God!

I would get in so much trouble if I went there

Re: Mbk 51 project

Given the chance I could talk your ears off... can not really guarantee all of the reminiscing would be a font of knowledge though...

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> I'll have to do just that . ;)

>

> Most of my life I've sat and listened to old folks telling their tales

> s . I always gain knowledge .

>

> Now , it seems not many want to know what use to be .

Re: Mbk 51 project

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have a couple but the shipping cost usually kills it. Swoops rally is

> just in May though. Comes up quicker than you think.

May huh......okay

Re: Mbk 51 project

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Given the chance I could talk your ears off... can not really guarantee

> all of the reminiscing would be a font of knowledge though...

>

That's OK . What may not be helpful knowledge would most likely be entertaining , at least . ;)

Re: Mbk 51 project

> Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I wish there was a motorcycle junkyard near me.

>

> I would have to buy from eBay or the forum. There are a couple mb5

> frames on eBay for not much more than any small mx frame.

>

> I would think the extra weight of a motorcycle frame wouldn't matter too

> much with a 20+ hp scooter engine hanging off it

Travis king used a small dirt bike frame , I don’t know how the motor swings. Maybe he can give some insight.

Not my bike but Travis Kings awesome brain’s

23A6BF90-71AA-4203-B81A-DF2166E6CC32.jpeg

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4138215

Re: Mbk 51 project

That's a 1980+ MX100.

It's almost the same as a DT100 of similar vintage

Or you could use a RT100 or 180, they went to monoshock.

Could also do a MX80 or DT80 if you wanted smaller wheels. The later monoshock ones are bigger wheels.

The frames in the twin shock ones are pretty light. It's all the steel wheels and triples that add up the pounds.

Edit: upon closer inspection that may be a MX80 with the smaller wheels.(edited)

Re: Mbk 51 project

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jesse Simonsen Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I wish there was a motorcycle junkyard near me.

>

> >

>

> > I would have to buy from eBay or the forum. There are a couple mb5

>

> > frames on eBay for not much more than any small mx frame.

>

> >

>

> > I would think the extra weight of a motorcycle frame wouldn't matter

> too

>

> > much with a 20+ hp scooter engine hanging off it

>

> Travis king used a small dirt bike frame , I don’t know how the motor

> swings. Maybe he can give some insight.

>

> Not my bike but Travis Kings awesome brain’s

>

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4138215

I like that one. Looks almost factory. The engine doesn't look out of place.

Re: Mbk 51 project

About how long are your forks from the top of the leg to approx axle center?

Re: Mbk 51 project

There was a place in san antonio like Bob's, sadly it was owned by a real asshole of an old man. Was called A.B.E Cycles. The guy finally sold the place to another guy who had a massive sale but prices were insane for bikes that were not taken care of for decades. After that sale they were offering bikes for 50 bucks a piece but unfortunately I was on my way to Houston for training. Guy ended up moving some of the inventory to another location and setting up a shop and the rest of the bikes were hauled off by the tractor trailer load to the metal yards. Bought a few things at the guys newer location for a cb550 chopper I was building at the time. Shortly after that the guy went bankrupt and closed up. Sad to see all those bikes be hauled off for scrap because that old man wouldn't turn anything loose for so many years.

Re: Mbk 51 project

> Joel P Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> About how long are your forks from the top of the leg to approx axle

> center

Just measured and they are 25" long from cap to axle center.

Re: Mbk 51 project

> The Dude Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There was a place in san antonio like Bob's, sadly it was owned by a

> real asshole of an old man. Was called A.B.E Cycles. The guy finally

> sold the place to another guy who had a massive sale but prices were

> insane for bikes that were not taken care of for decades. After that

> sale they were offering bikes for 50 bucks a piece but unfortunately I

> was on my way to Houston for training. Guy ended up moving some of the

> inventory to another location and setting up a shop and the rest of the

> bikes were hauled off by the tractor trailer load to the metal yards.

> Bought a few things at the guys newer location for a cb550 chopper I was

> building at the time. Shortly after that the guy went bankrupt and

> closed up. Sad to see all those bikes be hauled off for scrap because

> that old man wouldn't turn anything loose for so many years.

That kind of behavior is pretty common in the auto/motorcycle world.

It makes no sense to me. Especially when it is a junk car/ bike that was gotten super cheap and they are trying to get many times more for the parts than the entire thing is worth.

Some folks will sit on something till it turns back to dust rather than sell it for less than they think it's worth.

On eBay for example there are so many overpriced parts that just sit for years.

Kind of funny when theres a make offer option and you offer a pretty fair price, maybe 10% less and they counter with a price that is like $1 less than the asking price.

I have found some great deals though on ebay and dealt with a lot of good sellers when I am not in a rush to purchase something

Re: Mbk 51 project

I decided to try painting the frame again.

I went with "brilliant aluminum" and satin clear. I tested on an old mirror frame and that came out much darker than the bike did.

I think the aluminum colored frame will look great with almost everything else black.

The decals are just some cheap vinyls from eBay.

I got the forks put together and put some bars on.

Kind of stuck because I can't afford good shocks right now.

Gonna pull the egoboost shocks of the 103 for now and cut some reducer bushings for them.

The steel tank cap is from rouge mobylette on eBay. The threads inside the tank were corroded badly and the filler neck was dented a bit and I spent a lot of time trying to get it to screw in properly.

Re: Mbk 51 project

Looks awesome, but the decals make it look cheap.

Re: Mbk 51 project

Yup. like $2 cheap.

I wanted a bit of black and didn't want to put some silly parts brand sticker.

The originals were those bubble plastic ones and couldn't be reused after removing them.

Re: Mbk 51 project

I have started reassembling the bike and I am starting to dig the color more and more.

Bars are way too long.

I have to put another letter B decal on the left side tank because a corner didn't want to stay on. Oh well

I found an older Kawasaki ex250 radiator to use for the lc motor

Much bigger than the little dirt bike one and should work better come summer time.

I was worried about clearance issues with the huge 90/80 rear tire but everything looks good so far.

Checked with a scrap of chain and I have plenty of space.

The shock is only temporary till I can get a pair for this bike

Gonna work on the front wheel and brake caliper mount next

Re: Mbk 51 project

Finally got my shocks. Not my first color choice but the seller gave me a discount because of a paint chip and they sent them express from Thailand for no extra charge. Only took 3 days to get here

They are 330mm yss with adjustable rebound, made for the new Honda Monkey.

They feel really nice and should work great.

The forks still feel like dirt bike forks.

I will need to add some preload spacers to stiffen the up a bit.

I got my launch lever mounted and will need to make a bracket to mount the engine spring. This spring setup may require a longer belt.

I am trying to find a spot for the massive coil/cdi box that doesn't interfere with anything.

Going to use a ninja pivot rod to mount the exhaust.

The clutch pulley shaft is too long so I will have to cut it down.

In a couple weeks I am going to order a fiberglass seat/hull and rear fender.

Re: Mbk 51 project

reynie domingo /

That Mvt kit has really good power but the nikasil plating is cheap, it will blister and flake off, that new Doppler clutch needs work, the softest setting is too stiff and doesn’t grab, slips too much. You need to add weights to the clutch pads. That giraudo vario, you need to locktite the 4 Allen screws on the moving cheeks, they come off

Re: Mbk 51 project

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

That pipe is really low. Pivot point on the frame should be next to the pulley shaft if you're running that long of an exhaust arm. Don't forget to bend your stinger to clear the swingarm.

Re: Mbk 51 project

> NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That pipe is really low. Pivot point on the frame should be next to the

> pulley shaft if you're running that long of an exhaust arm. Don't forget

> to bend your stinger to clear the swingarm.

I think I may need to make the pivot rod longer because if I bring the pipe up any higher it interferes with the spring.

Do you know if people usually use the longer (843mm) belts with this spring setup?

I have a malossi and Doppler av10 belt and with them the spring will need around an inch or more preload to mount

under the frame with a bracket.

Once I get the spring mounted I can move on to the exhaust mount and check baffle clearance

Re: Mbk 51 project

reynie domingo /

Use the jd/bando belt from treats. They are longer than that Malossi and Doppler.

Re: Mbk 51 project

> reynie domingo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That Mvt kit has really good power but the nikasil plating is cheap, it

> will blister and flake off, that new Doppler clutch needs work, the

> softest setting is too stiff and doesn’t grab, slips too much. You need

> to add weights to the clutch pads. That giraudo vario, you need to

> locktite the 4 Allen screws on the moving cheeks, they come off

The kit has some crazy porting for an air cooled kit but does seem pretty cheap.

The cylinder deck and head weren't flat and super grainy casting. I had to clean up a lot of flash in the transfers.

I widened the exhaust to 28mm and enlarged the auxiliary exhaust ports and didn't get any flaking. Can't be any worse than a chromed cylinder.

Having a 103 I am a firm believer in loctite and nylocs on just about everything

Re: Mbk 51 project

reynie domingo /

I raced that kit and tore it down after to inspect, layers of nikasil came off on the intake side, exhaust side had blisters, like the plating is lifting off. I’m sticking with the Malossi gr1 kit, it needs more porting to get power from it but so much better quality. Bidalot kits are nice too but too expensive.

DDDA2F44-D6DE-4C24-A3D3-C5098A37BB33.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account