Jammer in tomos a35

After reading about them for a few years I finally bit the bullet and bought a jammer clutch. installed for about a week now and not sure what's going on but ive not been getting a fast take off at all.

The bike will gently take off and rev quite loud and slip loads in 1st then smoothly go into 2nd gear. I put medium springs on in the beginning as the bike has a kit but that made no difference.

Put light springs on hoping itd grab and pull harder and its pretty much the same :(

Bike is..

Techno circuit

Airsal 44mm kit

Mlm 15 sha intake

Sha 15 clone

74 jet

Royal purple atf

Re: Jammer in tomos a35

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

It's possible that you have glazed the clutch pads, especially since you used the medium springs. I dont think your setup makes enough power to utilize the medium springs, and they slipped too much as a result and glazed over. I would take the clutch off and inspect it. If the pads are glazed, give em a light touch with some 220 grit sandpaper.

How much Atf are you using in the transmission?

What's your hearing?

That's pretty much how they work. Too loud? Repack that baffle! I found medium springs to be the best in a similar setup.

Ok cheers. I'll deffo give that a go. I'm currently using about 290 ml of atf. When clutch pads glaze do they end up looking glossy or something? Last I checked they were looking normal. I'll be having a look again in a bit though.

Just the noise off it revving out really high which I wouldn't mind at all if said noise translated in me torque / acceleration but it doesn't. The bike deffinetly moves forward but there's no "insane take off" that I've been reading about. Just delude like a normal stock clutch. Not bad by any means just a bit meh compared to what other people are saying.

your setup probably doesn't make enough RPM's to run a super racey clutch, you're just sitting there above where that setup makes power.

The thing is ive read loads about people using this on just stock bikes with noticeable large amounts of improvement. Ive put the weakest springs on which are so weak you can move the shoes just by pinching them. I'm wondering if it's the clutch bell it's self that's worn. On the 1st gear side of it on the inside it's smooth and shiny. Should that be the case? If its not supposed to be like that could that be why it's not grabbing?

Drained the oil took the clutch out and inspected the shoes and they looked fine. I lightly sanded them and reassembled but it was the same :( the inside of the bell on the 1st gear side is very smooth and shiny though so wondering if that's what the problem is.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Bell is supposed to be quite smooth. Its possible that you either expected too much, or you just do not make enough power to take advantage of everything the clutch has to offer.

Gutted :( . I'm going to experiment with some different gear oils and see if that helps. If not i might end up putting the old cork one back in.

Funny. One thing people never ask is how much do you weigh? If you weigh upwards of 200lbs no clutch will get you moving any faster without serious engine improvements. You have a kit. Why are you still running a stockish carb? You need something in the 19 to 21mm range for a "70cc" kit.

And the best performance mod you can do to a moped... loose weight.

Good points. I'm not that heavy at all really im not sure exactly how much i weigh but prob around 140lbs give or take. I'm only using an sha 15 though.

I'm having similar issues with my new jammer in my a35 , with a 45mm airsal matched head phbg 19 , using swedish ktm oil ,working on a solution with treats right now, Mine slips 3/4 of the way thru 1st gear, tried soft and medium springs. So i swapped in a new stock type clutch with yellow spring and take off is awesome.

I just don't get it .. Read loads about people using this clutch on fairly stock ish setups and it being really good. Therefore with your setup it should be amazing. I've changed it to the weakest springs and it almost entirely slips through the 1st gear without grabbing at all. Bike revs out very high and will sometimes blow lights then it'll go in to 2nd gear and and it's fine.

might just put the old cork clutch back in like what you've done.

Also, what are treats saying to you about it?

Cheers

I have a Jammer in my bone stock 2008 A55 and it works great. Put it in with the weakest springs i believe. It was eating cork shoes in a few hundred miles, but Seattle has a lot of hills.

Treats said to make sure the shoes move freely with no binding with the springs installed , some times they are too tight, not the case with mine. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account