PP derbi thread... What kinda stuff you guys doing?

Hey I'm sure there is a thread for this but i didn't really find anything other than jbot being radical and some old ass threads. I got a very locked up PP engine recently that I'm going to be building for a mild ripper.

If I can't salvage the stock cylinder from seizure and rust I think I might grab that PP metrakit 50cc just because I love 50 kits.

Let's talk PP! What are you guys doing with em? Mild to wild let's see it

Re: PP derbi thread... What kinda stuff you guys doing?

Bill Mazzacane /

Are you planing on using the old crankshaft.

I like to have expected results, you could create a port map of the stock cylinder as practical experience for when you purchase the top end kit.

It would help to know the squish clearance, the geometric compression ratio, a picture of the combustion chamber, and a picture of the bottom side of the carb slide.

PP engines can easily produce mild power to insane peak HP (at a loss of easy starting and low end).

Bill M.

Metra 50 is pretty sweet, not mega torquey, but very reliable. For the money you could get a really nice puch kit, like an ajh or Gila or something. I was running a euro kit on mine, then once I got tired of having to have a buddy help me start it every time I went to the pp metra 50, now I have the pp metra 65. It has whiplash amounts of torque. I recently ditched the starter shoes for a one way bearing and what a game changer that was now it just wants to go go go.

Bah yeah I really want to avoid the lame starting issues. I agree on the price thing. I just really like the stock looks of the metra. Seems like a lot of people love the 65. Man even a one way bearing bike seems like kind of a hassle to start to me.

I probably will not be able to salvage the crank due to this being a junkyard engine with no intake and sitting at tdc for who knows how many rain/snow seasons in the dang dirt. Is anyone trying those cheap pp pr cranks on treats? I might try to lathe down the cheeks/see if it will just fit? IDK.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I recently ditched the starter shoes for a one way bearing and what a

> game changer that was now it just wants to go go go.

How's the reliability? I don't think I know anyone with a bunch of miles on one but I was wary that a one way bearing seems kinda fragile for this kind of application. Admittedly this is the first time I have reason to use one so idk.

> «tyler » Wrote:

Is anyone trying those cheap pp pr

> cranks on treats? I might try to lathe down the cheeks/see if it will

> just fit? IDK.

Just ordered one to tryn lathe down, I bent my crankshaft on a Gila pp a few days ago. One way bearing is rad, I haven't tried much with starter shoes but it basically goes like push the bike forward, then put your weight down on it and it starts right up if it's tuned right. Haven't got a whole lot of miles on it but I figure inspect and regrease every so often tho

French pipes seem like they hack n weld up pretty nice, I got one of those rgd Doppler clones for cheap(edited)

> jordan * Wrote:

> > «tyler » Wrote:

>

> Is anyone trying those cheap pp pr

>

> > cranks on treats? I might try to lathe down the cheeks/see if it will

>

> > just fit? IDK.

>

> Just ordered one to tryn lathe down, I bent my crankshaft on a Gila pp a

> few days ago. One way bearing is rad, I haven't tried much with starter

> shoes but it basically goes like push the bike forward, then put your

> weight down on it and it starts right up if it's tuned right. Haven't

> got a whole lot of miles on it but I figure inspect and regrease every

> so often tho

>

> French pipes seem like they hack n weld up pretty nice, I got one of

> those rgd Doppler clones for cheap

Yeah those cranks are too cheap not to try. Lmk how it goes for you. As far as exhaust I'm probably just going to weld up some sort of high pipe. Although I've had a pug simonini sitting on the shelf forever too. Might be the easy way out.

Since I'm leaning towards mild I might just try the stock starter arms before going to the one way

Yea the 65 rips, I let a dude who has a revo ride it and he was like, damn that is scary. The Parmakit is super lame, don't waste your money. I saw that there's some autisa kits floating around too. Kstar is super easy to make work, or tccd 50 would be pretty cool too!

One way is super duper easy to start. I think with the one way I wouldnt have had as much trouble starting the euro kit, fighting the starter clutches to get a full engagement was harder than cranking the motor over.

The one way bearing is most certainly not going to hold up great for daily riding. It took just over 10 minutes of straight idling, albeit without enough grease, to blow it up. This time around I completely filled the whole inside of the clutch bell with lithium grease. We will see how long it lasts.

I mean doppler clutch pulleys do fine with the one way bearing set up.

Currently working on the Puch airsal eurokit setup, but theres a very reasonably priced metra 50 in B/S

Hmmm good thread, we've been talking about this at the Zeros shop.

My PP Derbi has the 65 Metra, TjT, stock contra, vm18, currently has a 65 Zen pipe, formally had a Ninja circuit, oh and yellow springs

it starts with a quarter kick, or a slight push, the carb is dialed in perfect

BUT it his a wall, around 45 maybe a bit higher it just flattens out and hangs there, off the line its insane, pulls like a monster, but then it just, well stays at 45ish. We recently tuned a stock PP motor, didnt touch the cylinder, added a 14/12 (15sha is on the way), DOS vario, with the Ninja circuit it did 38-39, we added some clutch springs and a Tomos BK100, it now does 41, but feels exactly the same, just hits a wall.

Now Im thinking this is a just a thing with the PP motor? I have a very similar set up on my PR Derbi, 65 Metra, malossi reeds, TjT, Tomo Estoril, 15 sha, however while the low end is great, its got nothing on my PP, this bike does high 40's touches early 50's with no wind, however im running a Pietcard set up on my PR Derbi, maybe its all in the ignition?

My pp does 40 and likes it. I've got the 65 Parma, dos variator with flat Reed plate, 18 sha, and the blue baffle Metra pipe. I'm running a tomos technigas right now with not much difference. Also pietcard cdi with the retard box. The lightest I've had the variator is 7.2g up to 24g. Top end is a wall. A 65 metea is in the way, maybe that'll be better.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Interesting thread, I have a PR motor waiting to be rebuilt for my RD50, and I have a 65metra and a 15 Dakar for it. Planning on running the stock RD pipe to begin with, and maybe throw a 65 zen on it. Stock variator....I'm hoping for low to mid 40's with good torque.

I said 18sha really it's a phbg

Sounds like maybe you could raise the ex port on the 65 metra? Sounds like a port timing deal

We ran a one way bearing on the Bakers Dozen one season. It did fine. Two seasons ago. No issues that I remember

yeah loob is a good idea!

chainsaws use the same type of arrangement with the bearing in the clutch bell and they are in sawdust, dry clutch dust and barely any lube all the time.

i got this really sweet grease a few years ago that is called 'super lube' and its teflon based, really nasty stuff that won't even come off with water. probably would work great for that application.

derek from black pipes moped gang /

I bought one of the cheap Derbi cranks and lathed it down. Haven’t finished building the bike yet but the crank seems to fit in the cases now. The trouble tho with lathing the crank was the hardened steel bit that holds the crank halves together (idk what it’s called). Really tough to cut but not impossible. Just be ready to eat up cutting bits.

I’ve been using the one way for Not quite a year meow and has held up perfectly fine through a few rally’s and plenty of daily. I was toldddd (don’t scold me if it ain’t true) but the one way I’ve been using is supposed to be oiled and not greased like the stock. But obviously rpms could just take all that oil away. (It’s just what I was told from the guy who made the set up)

(Here is a dumb video of me putting it on

)

I can’t take really any credit but got my piston port with a 65 , welded gianelli fire pipe from Vespa, tjt, 19 phbg stock crank and points and she allegedly kisses 50.

I did go the decompless head since the stocker was leakin pretty bad as well.

I tried a muff for a bit after the fire pipe broke and I lost a ton of speed. But I’m back on that fire.

I’m tryna go to KC rally and I’ll prob bring it Tyler if you wanna ride it and check it out.

Parmakit, high boy pipe, tjt, 17.5 phbg. Not sure how fast, runs hot, been sitting in my garage for awhile, needs to be tuned.

I just exploded my second clutch. I guess red springs are too much. I have one plate that is still good, and 3 shoes that survived. I can Frankenstein one more together from my broken bits. I'm going to try tack welding in the posts on this one, a brace is probably out of the question though.

Ever try a hobbit clutch in there?

Yea ive tried it, shoes go the wrong way and the taper is pretty far out and not close enough to the same angle. You get like 4 threads.

What're you guys running for gearing? I had a 24t rear and it was kinda lame and jumped up to a 30t and that was night & day difference, pulled way harder and was getting higher top speeds cuz it actually variated all the way and revved out.

> jordan * Wrote:

> What're you guys running for gearing? I had a 24t rear and it was kinda

> lame and jumped up to a 30t and that was night & day difference, pulled

> way harder and was getting higher top speeds cuz it actually variated

> all the way and revved out.

1 tooth bigger in the front, so ahhhh a 20? maybe a 21? Stock in the rear for me

What kind of rpm's are y'all getting? I'm not getting past 8k with the Metra 65 and Parma 65.

My mlm derbi pipe is good but it hits pretty damn low. I gotta make a shorter pipe to rev out

I was getting a little over 11k with a rgd pipe, welded the flange at the end of where the former ball joint was so a little shorter than og doppler

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account