2 speed clutch from 82-83 Express will work in 1 speed 81 Express

Jack Rutherford /
2speedclutch.jpg

I gave up on my search for a replacement 1981 clutch but then found out that a 2 speed clutch from an 82 or 83 express would work. Found this clutch on ebay. My crank didn't have a key way for the little key that comes with this so I didn't use it. Works great. You barely notice the shift from first to second. Now I just need to get it to delay shifting until 20 mph or so.

It was almost as if Honda was planning to introduce the 2 speed clutch in the 81 model and then ran out of time and threw in a 1 speed clutch.

Re: 2 speed clutch from 82-83 Express will work in 1 speed 81 Express

dang! that's a pretty crazy find. you mean it even shifts?

Jack Rutherford /

yeah. and theres your confirmation. need another?

Ana L. of the Aurora Roras /

Have u tried 125cc clutch springs?

75B44B9A-BDED-4AA6-B2D9-2A3C1276BE56.jpeg

Jack Rutherford /

no, but would like to - link?

Ana L. of the Aurora Roras /

Ebaiy has them. 1.5k is the yellow I have installed in my 1 speed. Slip ur 1st gear with the 1k blue to hit the pipe sooner, then 2nd gear slip that shift with yellow or red. Prolly be hitting on the pipe the whole time if u have a proma or similar. That’d be rad if u could dial it in to hit the pipe twice. Dammet! Now I wanna play with a 2 speeder :)

B2E60B82-98C7-4D36-9582-97B80B47952E.png

if u figure the express tops out at 42mph +/- kitted, then getting it to shift at 25-32 is doing alright. I needs a few transmission guts if u know of someone parting out, keep a look out and lmk thanks!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account