How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Wesley Ambrosini /

Just got a loaner E50 motor today while I rebuild my zah. Crank looks great no play (maybe a mm of side to side)

Threw a stock 50cc treats kit on it. Refilled the trans fluid. Set timing.

Shit runs cool.

It's noisy as a mofo though. A little engine shake at idle. Once you get it going it's cash though. Is this the cranks death rattle?

Definitely not hitting the head.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

It sounds fine from here. Run it.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Wesley Ambrosini /

[url=

][/url]

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Overpriced Parts /

Ya it don’t sound very good if noise is just coming from the engine

I’ve had a bad death rattle that ended up just being a loose headlight bracket but that sounds like it’s coming from the engine ,

Did you prep the kit by chamfering the ports and gap ring?

Move the flywheel by hand backhand fourth and see if you could feel something catching like a ring and or feel for bearing noise/grinding through flywheel

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

to a certain degree those cheap PP kits all make that rattley sound, the 'treats brand' DMP and TCCD seem like they are the worst. that is like reason #3 i hate building them and haven't touched one in years.

I was just discussing with a buddy of mine whether its caused by the 1 ring piston or if its piston slap or what it is making the noise. I think its piston slap based on loose tolerances on the skirt. They are probably just made real loose tolerance to be on the safe side and some of them are worse than others.

putting a better air filter/airbox quiets them down a lot but i know people who have thousands of miles and years on treats kits that have sounded like that their whole life.

definitely gotta set things up right, chamfer and gap rings, but if the rings are snagging or something real bad like that you wont make it past the first or second start.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Wesley Ambrosini /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ya it don’t sound very good if noise is just coming from the engine

>

> I’ve had a bad death rattle that ended up just being a loose headlight

> bracket but that sounds like it’s coming from the engine ,

>

> Did you prep the kit by chamfering the ports and gap ring?

>

> Move the flywheel by hand backhand fourth and see if you could feel

> something catching like a ring and or feel for bearing noise/grinding

> through flywheel

When I moved the flywheel the crank was smooth. The bearings were a little loud though but still smooth if that makes sense

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> to a certain degree those cheap PP kits all make that rattley sound, the

> 'treats brand' DMP and TCCD seem like they are the worst. that is like

> reason #3 i hate building them and haven't touched one in years.

>

> I was just discussing with a buddy of mine whether its caused by the 1

> 1 ring piston or if its piston slap or what it is making the noise. I

> think its piston slap based on loose tolerances on the skirt. They are

> probably just made real loose tolerance to be on the safe side and some

> of them are worse than others.

>

> putting a better air filter/airbox quiets them down a lot but i know

> people who have thousands of miles and years on treats kits that have

> sounded like that their whole life.

>

> definitely gotta set things up right, chamfer and gap rings, but if the

> rings are snagging or something real bad like that you wont make it past

> the first or second start.

Kit was prepped

The sound is so borderline "bad" and I've heard that E50s are just noisy as hell so I'd thought I'd ask.

My local moped guru is all about "Fuck it, ride, bikes are noisy" but I'm so paranoid about breaking shit with my ZA taking a shit a bunch of times that I can't ignore it.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Sounds like crank bearings. Just send it.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Sounds like a homeless guy shaking his coin cup asking for change. Sounds about right for a cheap kit. Lmao

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Wesley Ambrosini /

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like a homeless guy shaking his coin cup asking for change.

> Sounds about right for a cheap kit. Lmao

Normally I'd agree but the bike shakes too. Either way bearing and seals are cheap and e50 rebuilds seem to be pretty painless.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Baron Von Hamilton /

I don’t sound that bad. I would run it. I had a ZA50 with stock crank that was making a similar noise. The small end bushing was going bad. I ran it like that for a season then rebuilt over the winter.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Sounds like a homeless guy shaking his coin cup asking for change.

>

> > Sounds about right for a cheap kit. Lmao

>

> Normally I'd agree but the bike shakes too. Either way bearing and seals

> are cheap and e50 rebuilds seem to be pretty painless.

Rebuilding an e50 is actually a lot of fun and so fucking easy a 6 year old could probably build one. I really enjoy staying up late and using my mom’s oven & really nice kitchen to rebuild my engines. The bearings come out so toasty from a convection oven.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Francois Labat /

LMAO

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Sounds like a homeless guy shaking his coin cup asking for change.

>

> > Sounds about right for a cheap kit. Lmao

>

> Normally I'd agree but the bike shakes too. Either way bearing and seals

> are cheap and e50 rebuilds seem to be pretty painless.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Wesley Ambrosini /

Clutch side crank bearing was toast

Crank is in baller shape though. Now I see why dudes recommend starting with an E50 instead of the za. I had this thing apart and the bearings/seals out in 2 hours, meanwhile my za is in pieces waiting for shims and a new con rod.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Had a Terrible rattling from my Spermaxi at top speed and thought the Bearings would go bad, thought that since about a Week after i bought it, today i found out its just the Plastic Headlight rattling.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>. Now I see why dudes recommend starting

> with an E50 instead of the za.

yuuuuuup.

they'll run for a crazy long time with bad bearings and until the seal gets tore up and they air leak, nothing bad really comes from it... but for a few bucks in bearings and seals and less than an hour to rebuild one, its nice peace of mind.

Re: How noisy is too noisy? E50 problems

Wesley Ambrosini /

She runs! Top end is definitely doing the hobo cup rattle but I can live with it.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account