Derbi flatreed gila 50

Can’t seem to nail down the right needle for this setup- gila 50, stock head, stock reeds, 50cc zen, 19mm phgb/intake, k&n filter. Seems to want a high 80s main jet.. maybe a 90.. I can’t figure out the right needle.. it’s either lean in the middle and 4 stroking up top, or 4 strokes in the middle and a hair lean wot. I’ve got a modified reed block to throw on with some carbon reed.. just haven’t yet. If anyone has set this up with success I’d like to hear the numbers!

image.jpg

Re: Derbi flatreed gila 50

Overpriced Parts /

You may have 4 stroke parts in your carb

Do you have a AU or a AN atomizer? Do you have raised 2 stroke bushing or flat 4 stroke bushing? (Bushing is where needle point goes in)

Never been much of a fan of those 50 gila kits. Occasionally I'll forget and track one down, slap it on and then remember and immediately sell it and buy a 47mm metrakit.

Tldr; buy a 47mm metrakit --- you'll be much happier.

Try 48 idle jet, 94-96 main jet an a W9 needle. That should get you close enough where you can dial it in better.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I had nearly an identical setup, except I was using a 15 Bing and I loved it.

That said, I always fought pretty similar conditions with lean mid range. Ended up sanding my needle and it worked pretty well.

swapped out the atomizer and bushing when I first got the carb for the correct pair. it made a huge difference. Thanks Stephen I’m on the right track then. Ordering the w9 and w20. This has been one of the more difficult kits to tune for me.

Dirty30 Dillon /

My current metra47/21phbg combo was also acting terrible off idle until I changed the slide cutaway. made a HUGE difference.

Emil Kniemel /

i too will be putting something like this together. i was considering a vm18 as it is what i have available but seems like maybe smaller is better for the 50 gila (?)

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My current metra47/21phbg combo was also acting terrible off idle until

> I changed the slide cutaway. made a HUGE difference.

Which slide did you use?

Emil Kniemel /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I had nearly an identical setup, except I was using a 15 Bing and I

> loved it.

>

> That said, I always fought pretty similar conditions with lean mid

> range. Ended up sanding my needle and it worked pretty well.

What jet did you end up with on the bing?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Emil Kniemel Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I had nearly an identical setup, except I was using a 15 Bing and I

>

> > loved it.

>

> >

>

> > That said, I always fought pretty similar conditions with lean mid

>

> > range. Ended up sanding my needle and it worked pretty well.

>

> What jet did you end up with on the bing?

I believe it was like a 84-88 range... I honestly can't recall. I do know the jet is still sitting in that bing tho.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > My current metra47/21phbg combo was also acting terrible off idle

> until

>

> > I changed the slide cutaway. made a HUGE difference.

>

> Which slide did you use?

I am fairly certain I started with a 40, and went to a 50? I would have to check this though

I’m thinking maybe I need to case match the 3rd transfer.. wouldn’t that cause funny jetting issues?

6D3012AA-643D-4A85-97F2-1965B52FFCDB.jpeg

My points ignition was weak.. selettra solved all my problems. Cruisin now! 98 main, 45 idle, w9 needle. Case matched the third transfer. Modified stock reed, red polini single flapper. Gonna do led lights with a battery under the seat- I could use suggestions on batteries.

image.jpg

Where under the seat? Nothing but a gas cap there. Should have went Hpi so you can have the lights. Not saying that's not a good ignition just sucks not having lights

The deep pocket where the tool kit was. I’ve seen some slim rechargeable batteries that could maybe be Velcro’d In there? Idk

9F754F33-B2DD-432D-A5DB-C2AAC1E0935F.jpeg
5F9C852F-A1B7-498B-B7F2-BDC38A61255F.jpeg

I had a bike come in with 2 9v batteries. Powered two led lights for about 10 hours.

Yooo! I knew led’s were efficient but that blows my mind. I’m thinking one of these bad20d will pop right in the cev headlight housing. Then the tail light and an on/off toggle. Maybe brake lights.

9BFD3D59-0091-4F3B-9978-18A427BD5A0E.jpeg
080C291A-0CFF-4525-BF4D-1FA6C6143CBD.jpeg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account