Puch Maxi Sport MKII - Best Speed Kit - Reliable, but faster?

Hello fellow brappers. I am an experienced tinkerer and two-wheel enthuiast. However, this is my first 2-stroke bike. I have a 1978 Puch Maxi Sport MKII - ZA50. I have read a lot of forums regarding tuning and various kits. Seems like for a 70cc kit, the E50 motor is really the one to have. For my ZA50, a few people are saying to just do a 50cc speed kit and call it good as they are more reliable.

I am looking to get this rig up to 45 mph, but be reliable and not require a ton of tuning. This will be a weekend bar hopper bike, take to the park, errands etc. I want to do some sort of speed kit with a matching pipe (and whatever else you pros think I need). Looking for links to all the parts so I can click, buy and install.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!(edited)

Re: Puch Maxi Sport MKII - Best Speed Kit - Reliable, but faster?

go with the treats party pack. it's perfectly already setup for ya. the 50cc pack is cheap and mild and should manage 40+

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-50cc-party-supreme-p/puch-treat-50cc-party-supreme.htm

for the ZA's it's not so much the power but the RPM it doesn't love, so you can go with a 70 kit, just gear it up to keep peak RPM lower and limit wear on the bushing crank. oh and definitely flip the clutches to maintain your low-end speed. or just do it anyway because it's a very easy and satisfying upgrade.

Hi Wild, thanks for the hot tip. I have read about flipping the clutch, but can't find any details about how to do it - not even really sure what it entails. Do you have any info or links on it?

Appreciate it.

Brap

Dirty30 Dillon /

Treats Reed Kit with Estoril Pipe and 15 Bing, flip second speed clutch, and gear out to like 20x37

Can you please link me to the kit you have in mind? There are a few that meet that description.

Thank you

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Treats Reed Kit with Estoril Pipe and 15 Bing, flip second speed clutch,

> and gear out to like 20x37

Ken? Is that you?

Homies - I am lost on treats website. Simply too many options, opinions and combinations. Can anyone link me to a good combination to improve my ride? I have my CC in hand, trying to make it rain, just don't know what I need . . . The hope is I can make one purchase and install in one session.

LINK ME BRO

I will settle for just a link to the kits ya'll mention above, please, just a link to help a brother out.

I would go with the treats party pack Will linked above

Thanks, Nick. I was only concerned with the slow acceleration reviews - I live in Denver, so acceleration is key, top end is a factor too, but I really only need 45 or so. Thoughts on that? Anything I can do to keep acceleration?

Thanks for the advice.

My za bike was a 70cc kstar, 15bing w/ 15mm intake. Tecno estoril pipe..

Hit 45 no problem. Clutch flipping is easy, think there's a write up in the wiki. It's under the rectangular cover on the side...

this + this +theses (should) = 45 mph, but be reliable and not require a ton of tuning is up to you to determine.

Derek you forgot THESE and THIS if he's replacing the bearings and seals

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> Derek you forgot THESE and THIS if he's replacing the bearings and seals

Thanks Mike, I knew I would forget something, hadn't had any coffee yet.

i just got done building

THIS

greenzarunning.JPG

Using

THIS- Puch Airsal 44 mm piston port kit

you will need to file the skirt of the piston- read the review i just left on there- to clear the ZA cases

and

This- puch proma GP pipe

As others said, do the 'shift pucks' aka shift dampers (must do these!!!)

I made a quick video of what they are and how to get at them for ya

I just got this bad boy finished up last night, it started right up and sounds super healthy. I'm running the stock 14 mm intake (ported to match kit) with a drilled out 16 mm bing carb, but it will run ok with a stock 12, stock 14, aftermarket 15 whatever you want... super nice kit out of the box, super good finish.

for a first timer i wouldn't recomend those ultra cheapo kits, they take a little more setup and can be tougher to tune.

Hi Graham, Thank you for all the advice. Really helpful. Think I will go with this setup as it is a bit of a displacement upgrade but not pushing to the limits. Regarding the nubbin I need to file down, can you elaborate a bit more? Have a photo to show me? Sorry for being so needy, just don't have any context and it will take me half an hour to research or 30 seconds getting it from a pro.

Should I get a new 15mm carb with intake and all that? Is there a kit that has this setup with the carb and other bits? I did order the pucks and gaskets already - thanks to all those who recommended.

Thanks again.

Half an hour of research is a low cost of entry to kitting a moped

yeah sorry i don't have a picture , when you install the kit, you should remove the rings carefully and dry-fit everything without gaskets, the piston will hit the nub i'm talking about in the cases at BDC. Some ZA's have a nub and some don't, its a weird thing.

research is cool and all but you gotta hit the garage and tune tune tune. if i were you i'd start with just the proma GP pipe and rejet your carb and figure out how all that works. get comfortable taking the carb off and on, adjusting timing, get everything dialed in.

my best advice is hit the garage and work through all the boring stuff first before you spend any money (or get the pipe and do all that other stuff) and get everything running perfecto. The biggest performance gains come from clean, grease and adjust your wheel bearings, get your cables lubed up or replace them, get the chain lubed or replace that, good tires, clean and greased forks, etc.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> my best advice is hit the garage and work through all the boring stuff

> first before you spend any money (or get the pipe and do all that other

> stuff) and get everything running perfecto. The biggest performance

> gains come from clean, grease and adjust your wheel bearings, get your

> cables lubed up or replace them, get the chain lubed or replace that,

> good tires, clean and greased forks, etc.

2nd'd, I always start with good roller before I worry about making it move faster. Wheel bearings is one of those things that makes such a difference that most will over look.

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> Half an hour of research is a low cost of entry to kitting a moped

Also 2nd'd.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> Derek you forgot THESE and THIS if he's replacing the bearings and seals

Well hell, if we’re doing all this, you might want a set of these.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> > Mike Boyd Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Derek you forgot THESE and THIS if he's replacing the bearings and

> seals

>

> Well hell, if we’re doing all this, you might want a set of these.

1000% I recommend those tools if you want to do this job right the first time around

Also, when you remove the clutch cover. Do your best to save the original gasket. End float is very important and changing the gasket can result is a bearing blowing out the side of ur case...if ur not in a position to measure the end float that is....better safe than sorry.

Hi guys, appreciate all the feedback! Regarding the maintenance, I have basically done all that. The bike runs great and can hit 30 with a long enough stretch. I am by no means new to bikes or motors, I have had many motorcycles, currently own two, plus a C3 scooter with 10k miles and three cars - I do all my own work, lol, in most cases. Just saying I am competent and work very methodical. But I have no idea how to work on 2-strokes.

I ordered the pucks and gaskets, guess I’ll order the 65cc kit and one of the pipes mentioned. Tires will be here tomorrow. Should be looking good soon.

Here is the bike, it’s in pretty good condition, hope a little TLC is all it needs.

I’ll keep ya’ll posted

6E710093-88EA-4CFD-A31F-302807389F25.jpeg

Look into a sealed bearing conversion for that rear wheel...loose bearing snowflakes gave me a tonna problems. Definitely not an urgent deal but still.

Pretty bike!

Overpriced Parts /

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Look into a sealed bearing conversion for that rear wheel...loose

> bearing snowflakes gave me a tonna problems. Definitely not an urgent

> deal but still.

>

> Pretty bike!

Built my 64cc Polini kit, 4 petal reeds, 21mm phbg, 55-60 mph maxi MKII 10 years ago, still very fast and the loose ball bearing wheels works fine though past few years they are spoke (not snowflake mags) rims with loose ball bearing wheels, (the snowflakes rims are on another bike and still work great with original balls and races)

If you got some that were clean and low miles and had them adjusted up and taken care of they would probably be ok, seems like every time i get a set of snowflakes they are already loose and chewed up with bent axles.

the 11 mm rear axle is considerably weaker than the 12. The one i just built i cleaned up the bearings and got them nice and snug, but you could already tell the axle was bent and the cups/cones weren't sitting quite right, and this is on a very clean and well maintaned 4,000 mile original bike.

Sealed conversion is quick and easy and never have to worry about it blowing up on you. 2 years ago at a rally someone ate shit real bad when a puck snowflake bearing/axle exploded.

Looks like the 12mm axel and bearings are only $50 - prolly going to get that. My za only has 638 original miles, pretty crazy.

Brad William /

Made my day to hear Graham approves of the Airsal 65cc kit. Been worried if I made a good choice. Mine is unboxed and has been sitting on the kitchen table waiting for a little energy/inspiration from its owner to slap it on an e50... or the za50. I'd rather go with the za, but have been indecisive. Think I'll go with the za now that I know I can pepper Graham with questions along the way:))(edited)

^ i really want to pair the airsal 65cc kit with the MLM reed intake conversion...

For a za50, the mk65 is better. For an E50 airsal 70cc all day, its the perfectly timed puch cylinder.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account