Re: Noped engine with steroids - Indian Hero Puch 3 sp with Kawasaki Ar80 cylinder

jonathan alvarez /

Another little update, I had almost no free time on the weekend for work on this engine, only thing I did was paint the jug.

You can see in the right the cases with epoxy curing on the low mating surfaces. I drilled out again the oil passages for the main bearings, I didn't know why they were completely blocked.

Yesterday was shopping day, I bought new hardware, seals, bearings, clutch disks and a set of gaskets to use as a template for the modified one. Notes aside, the engine came to me with no gaskets at all, only a metric shit-ton of red RTV and 3M sealer in every mating surface.

Unfortunately I can't find a clutch basket bushing, I'm starting to think I'm going to need to fabricate one in a machine shop, if that's true, all my remaining budget will be thrown on this single piece.

Notes aside, this engine came to me with no gaskets at all, only a metric shit-ton of red RTV and 3M sealer in every mating surface.

Unfortunately I can't find a clutch basket bushing, I'm starting to think I'm going to need to fabricate one in a machine shop, if that's true, all my remaining budget will be thrown on this single piece.

Re: Noped engine with steroids - Indian Hero Puch 3 sp with Kawasaki Ar80 cylinder

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> jonathan alvarez Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately I can't find a clutch basket bushing, I'm starting to

> think I'm going to need to fabricate one in a machine shop, if that's

> true, all my remaining budget will be thrown on this single piece.

Did you get the measurements for that bushing?

jonathan alvarez /

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> > jonathan alvarez Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Unfortunately I can't find a clutch basket bushing, I'm starting to

>

> > think I'm going to need to fabricate one in a machine shop, if that's

>

> > true, all my remaining budget will be thrown on this single piece.

>

> Did you get the measurements for that bushing?

Man, I didn't have a good bushing to measure until I bought one.

Maybe this one will work? I dunno if the 3spd and z50 have the same clutch basket.

https://www.mofakult.ch/puch/kupplung/gleitbuchse-z50-kupplungsglocke

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

o shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

this will work for me

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Maybe this one will work? I dunno if the 3spd and z50 have the same

> clutch basket.

>

> https://www.mofakult.ch/puch/kupplung/gleitbuchse-z50-kupplungsglocke

Should work. He's got the Monza style basket, but they are the same as the z50 just beefier.

Only problem is shipping from Switzerland is pricey

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Only problem is shipping from Switzerland is pricey

I ordered 2 of them and it came out to a little over $30 shipped. Cheaper than a lathe I guess.

jonathan alvarez /

Yesterday I got one! It´s the same Daniel mentioned, 17x15x16.5. Fortunately I found it just under $1.5 dollars.

Now I just need free time to assemble it, I think I have all the parts.

(edited)

30 shipped for a little baggy seems pretty steep. Belgium post is so much cheaper than swiss or nl for whatever reason. Somehow will janssen is able to ship a set of 5 stars for 30€. But I order a small box of pistons/gasket sets and some bearings from puch shop one town over and its 45€.

jonathan alvarez /

The projekt is not ded!

I was busy with other projects, for example I bought a 1987 brazilian made VW bug that has been my daily driver for months, but need a lot of TLC.

Also in March I moved into a house without a shed or workspace, so now I'm trying to make some home improvements to get a small workspace up and running.

The last I did on the Hero Puch motor, was flatten out the cases, they were warped from the aluminium added to match the AR80 cylinder. I made gaskets for the cases, but I lost them on the move, so I need to remake them.

Quarantine has me working two weeks a month in my house, so I have a little more time to get things going again, next task on the list, is to revive a 50cc Zanella Due (Minarelli V1 clone made in Argentina) to sell it, because I have no room for it now. I will open a new post in Offtopic to document the process.

Stay safe.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

oh man I want that Zanella Pocket

and the Cativa stuff is certainly super awesome, I tried to get the intake duplicated, but chatted with benji and I think theyve got an AM6 intake that bolts onto V1L which is an improvement all around (Cativa intake is a little larger than AM6, but a non-standardish size)

Getting parts out of Argentina might be hard in the coming months

jonathan alvarez /

Nothing can enter or leave Argentina right now, It was complicated on pre-quarantine days, imagine now...

I made a Cativa like reed adapter, but to use with a Yamaha RX100 reed block, because here is more common, very little to no scooters here to grab a Jog reed block like the Cativa adapter uses. It works beautifully with a chainsaw carb, extremely torquey, just very low mpg

Brazilian vw’s are rad. I have a fox wagon, it’s called a parati over there, and I love it. It’s like a super budget lightweight Audi.

jonathan alvarez /

My uncle had a VW Parati G1 when I was 7 or 8, and I love it. I would love to have a VW Gol (Goal), the car version of the Parati, in the GTI version with an "AP" 2.0 16v motor.

"Parati" (Paraty in Portuguese) is the name of a historical city in Brazil

We didn’t get a gol unfortunately, those are so rad. Not many cars got the 16v in the USA and most of the ones still around are either swapped or ruined. The 1.8t is what most people here swap into their vw’s. But the longitudinal configuration and short engine bay really limit what you can put into a fox. There are a few sites in Brazil that I wish I could order from, but only a few shops deal with shipping internationally .

jonathan alvarez /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> There are a few sites in Brazil that I wish I

> could order from, but only a few shops deal with shipping

> internationally .

I live in Uruguay, between Argentina and Brazil, but I cannot order anything from those countries because shipping costs are prohibitive, sellers don´t offer shipping to other countries, and the cherry on the top, my country has a limit of 3 international purchases of U$S 200 each, so not much to buy.

And living in a small 3 million people country, really limits the things I can acquire, for example, we have only one supplier for WD40, so you only can get spray bottles, no one gallon cans. Same with Rust oleum, only one supplier and it didn´t import primers for example. No suppliers for Gunk products too, so I didn't have a decent carb cleaner.

Living in a small third world country can be frustrating when your hobbies are not so common...

> jonathan alvarez Wrote:

> No suppliers for Gunk products too, so I didn't have a decent carb cleaner.

>

Use brake cleaner . It's better and probably cheaper . ;)

jonathan alvarez /

> P D Wrote:

> > jonathan alvarez Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > No suppliers for Gunk products too, so I didn't have a decent carb

> cleaner.

>

> >

>

> Use brake cleaner . It's better and probably cheaper . ;)

Same deal with carb cleaner, very few people uses it, so suppliers didn't import it.

The closest to carb/brake cleaner we have here (at an accessible price) is plain gas, or thinner

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Anything that ends in "ene" can usually be a cleaner

Benzene

Kerosene

Tolulene

Gasoline (I think the I is a quirk of English but idk)

jonathan alvarez /

yeah, I know. I use it simply as an example to illustrate that the market in my country is pretty small an limited. I use thinner, gasoline or diesel as cleaning agents, depending on the part.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Yeah I was mainly explaining for the USA folks

Obviously if you are aware of what's imported into your country or not then you've got some research skills

jonathan alvarez /

It's frustrating to see some really cool things made here in the forum, and the fact that I can not import any of that puts me a bit in the demotivated side.

At least, I have some kickstart engines to play and a metric shit-ton of chinese 4t bike parts to pimp some frames. Something will come out, but first I need a small shed and buy an old bus to make a mobile workshop, don't want to be in this exact same situation in a few years if I need to leave this house again.

Yea that sucks, you would think that s. American countries would have some sort of trade agreement with each other. I bet it has something to do with the u.s.a and it’s long arm of imperialism. Keeping the countries with leaders that are loyal to the United States vs ones who are loyal to their own people. Venezuela tried to shake off that yankee co-dependency and look at them now. The us government wants to destroy Venezuela, invade and forcibly remove their elected president to install a corrupt drug lord with American monetary interests. I hate what this country does to the world.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

well theres also the whole history with Brazil/Uruguay/Paraguay

Paraguay lost like 50% of its male population in a war for... something?

jonathan alvarez /

We have an agreement, it's called MERCOSUR (MERcado COmun del SUR, southern common market in English), but in practice only benefits the big corporations in the big countries in this region, Brazil and Argentina, the small business and common people are very limited to buy goods outside the borders by extremely high taxes (60% of the item in my case) and stupid quantity restrictions.

But let's stop talking about economics and politics, we will have better luck focusing on burn some two stroke oil ;)

jonathan alvarez /

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin Wrote:

> well theres also the whole history with Brazil/Uruguay/Paraguay

>

> Paraguay lost like 50% of its male population in a war for... something?

The "Triple Alliance War". Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina versus Paraguay.

Because... reasons. Really no one knows why, historians speculate that it was because of the difference between the revolutionary vision of Argentina and the traditionalist vision of Paraguay, but the British Empire was in the middle, so it's more complicated than that.

Who would have thought that I would end up talking about Latin American war history in MopedArmy hehe(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account