Advice on performance parts for 2019 Tomos Sprint

Hi all. Finally posting after weeks of scouring moped army and reddit for the answers to what/how I should upgrade my completely stock and new 2019 Tomos Sprint. This is my first moped ever, so as the story goes I am still learning, so bear with me, yadda yadda yadda.

I have narrowed down a lot of options in terms of what kind of exhaust pipe to upgrade to. I don't want to break the bank but I also don't want to replace it in a year. This is my daily rider; I commute around 8-10 miles total on it a day. I've had it since May 2019 and have just hit 1,100 miles on it.

My goal for this bike is to get it to hit 45/MPH. I live in NYC and want to be able to get over the bridges to/from Manhattan/Brooklyn without having pissed off bikers flipping me off for taking the bike lanes (SLOWLY I'm not a dick) & drivers zooming around me because I'm stuck at 29-35 MPH depending on wind/excess weight (heavy work backpack) / if my ped is playing nice that day. Generally I can hit 30 MPH easily on flat streets when it is just me and little to no extra weight. But that varies when I am carries around my backpack of heavy tools for work or when I bring my pup to work and I have a special backpack for him. Hes only 22 LBS and I am 130. So really not much total here.

Currently running everything stock. But eager to make some upgrades.

TL;DR I want to upgrade my 2019 Tomos Sprint plz help point me in the right direction to hit 45 MPH and tell me if I am missing any important parts to make this upgrade a success.

Dellorto 6mm Jets range 59-69

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=tomos%2D6mm%2Djets%2Drange%2D5pk%2D0002&CartID=1

Tomos Tecno A55 Bullet Pipe (treatland mystery pipe)

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=tomos%2DA55%2Dtecno%2Dbullet%2D20017&CartID=7

tomos A35 A55 rear sprocket - 42.5mm

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=tomos%2Drear%2Dsprocket%2D42%2E5mm%2D24T&CartID=8

BR8ES Spark Plugs (for tuning testing)

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NGK%2Dspark%2Dplug%2DBR8ES&CartID=9

tomos moped a55 70cc airsal cylinder with head

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=tomos%2Dairsal%2DA55%2Dkit%2D01210444&CartID=10

Feel like I am probably missing some small components (air filter??? Gaskets??? anything else????)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Advice on performance parts for 2019 Tomos Sprint

Your diving too deep.lol 45 is very possible for a stock a55 top end, if I were you I'd upjet and throw a pipe on...just not that one. And see where your at

Someone will chime in with a better pipe reccomendation.

I'm biased, the bullet may work fine. I just don't like em'.

What’s your preferred pipe? Open to any and all suggestions. I was looking at the MLM peoples pipe as another option. I know a 70cc airsal kit isn’t necessary for this... but why not if were doing upgrades? Again, open to any and all suggestions...

Also I feel like my bike heard I was getting ready to tear her up... started to drive home this evening and while at WOT I could feel her kinda struggling to keep consistent speed? And then after my first red light after she was idling just fine didn’t hear anything out of the ordinary, she died as I went to take off. Wouldn’t restart. Not out of gas, tried flipping the petcock to reserve, switch was on, checked everything I could look at on the street in the dark with no tools. Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary. Checked spark plug and disconnected and reconnected it a few times and nothing.

When I go to start her up, she’s attempting to catch but nothing catches after I kick the pedal hard. Lights up for a second but nothing engages.

Now this has turned into repair/performance. She’s still under warranty so I guess I could take her to the shop. Just don’t have a way to get it there for the next few days. :/

I think a top end swap is a bad idea. Once you start down that road reliability can go into the shitter quick....plus the a55 has a great top end already...but whatever, it's your bike.

If it's under warranty by all means take it in...

It's gonna be the cdi. I'd bet money on it....there failing on all the newer tomoses...

Also, you say it isn't "catching". But the fact that the lights go on for a second implies that it spun the engine over..meaning that it did catch...so are you just saying it spun but diddnt start?

I'd still bet on the cdi going...I assume you bought it from second stroke?

Dirty30 Dillon /

First off, you can get a reliable, quick bike on the stock topend. One of the DDGC guys here in the city has a great stock bike setup on a new Sprint.

Second, it definitely sounds like your CDI may have failed. They are a weak point of the newer Tomos.

Get Second Stroke to replace that free of cost

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Yeah, keep the stock cylinder, carb, intake, and airbox to have a reliable and quiet bike.

Get the bullet pipe, it's great for the money, and will get you the speed you want with a 24 tooth rear sprocket. You could also go with a 22 tooth for a little more speed, but I find that 24 is the best balance between speed and takeoff on a stock tomos. As far as jets, buy a range from 58 to 68 or so.

Overpriced Parts /

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, keep the stock cylinder, carb, intake, and airbox to have a

> reliable and quiet bike.

>

> Get the bullet pipe, it's great for the money, and will get you the

> speed you want with a 24 tooth rear sprocket. You could also go with a

> 22 tooth for a little more speed, but I find that 24 is the best balance

> between speed and takeoff on a stock tomos. As far as jets, buy a range

> from 58 to 68 or so.

If you’re not gonna get a solid true on the flat 45mph with those ^ few mods, maybe 38-40mph with no wind, no incline, not to mention many tomos (that have 16in wheels) speedos can be off at least 10% showing faster then you’re actually going,

My tomos revivals came with 17 inch front wheel and speedos are pretty close to the actual speed so I’m beginning to think they used the same speedo drive for both 16 and 17inch wheel sizes but I never had a 2019 to compare speedos, run your bike against roadside radar and remember what it is at that speed,

A bike that has fast enough takeoff like a car to keep with traffic and goes 45mph on the flat will need lot more mods as well as clutch mods, which on a modded tomos a55 engine the clutch and tranny are the weak link

I did indeed. I’m hoping to bring it to them tomorrow. Bummed as this is the third time in less than 6 months I’ve had to bring it in.

It might be worthwhile to have a different cdi on so this stops happening.

Also, you own a moped. It's gonna break often. But three times in six months is too much. Especially if it's the same issue...which it probably is..Ask them about a discount on a different cdi....

Yeah I asked if there was a different CDI I could get. Thankfully the repairs are still free. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THank you all for the responses! Yeah I am gonna start off with the pipe, 24T, and upjetting. Go from there depending on the outcome afterwards.

jfc, whats with these new tomos being such piles of shit?

this is the third one ive heard of thats had to routinely go in for repairs right after purchase

are the cdi's doo-doo or has the build quality dropped a lot since the bankruptcy?

Not sure. I know at the beginning of the year they stopped work over in the homeland while they sorted out what the hell was gonna happen. I bought mine in May, and it was built and put together here. Guys at Second Stroke were making them to order for a little bit while they still had all the parts n such. Not sure if they're still doing it.

Like I was prepared to do repairs and such, but three times in 4 months??? just a bit disheartening. but it is what it is. just blows.

The rest of the bikes are pretty good quality wise...its the cdi they used that screwing everybody.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account