Chapter 20 - Wiring Issue
After the quick test run in the previous crappy video, I finished up the wiring. One minor issue with it, that's my own fault: I used pin 87a on the gauges' relay (instead of 87), which I understood to be powered up when you switch off the relay - this seems to be a correct assumption, as the switch worked as I hoped, but there was one issue. Left the battery plugged in, with everything powered down, for a couple days. After a day or so, no problem, still had enough juice that the lights worked, but the gauges seemed intermittent. But when I took the bike out to shoot the upcoming video, the battery had totally died. One of the cells (3S LiPo) is totally gone, couldn't rescue it, won't hold any amount of charge. So no working gauges in the next vid.
As for diagnosing the issue, with everything powered down and no battery connected, the battery terminals had 88 Ohm resistance, and with the switch in the on position, something like like 15k Ohm - oops, that's a 130mA draw when everything is shut off, meaning the 5000mAh battery would last about a day and a half with everything powered off! Must be that by using 87a, the relay routes power to the gauges when its coil is off - i.e. when I turn off the gauges, I'm powering the switching coil in the relay.
Should be an easy fix, just swap the connector to the 87 slot in the relay holder. The reason I used 87a in the first place was so my switches were all "down for off" because the gauge switch had to be upsidedown to fit between the gauges. So no biggie.
Video has a few more minutes to finish uploading, so coming soon!