Derestricting a Derbi RD-50 pipe

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I'm looking to derestrict this stock pipe and use it, rather than fitting or modifying another pipe. I like the look of it, and I wouldnt mind keeping it original to boot.

To start, I plan to weld a larger header onto it.

Question is, what to do about the stinger?

The exit cone of the pipe comes down to an 18ish mm hole at the end and then opens up to an 8" long baffle can. A sound baffle slides into it and mates up with the exit hole at the final cone, and acts as a cap, which has the 14mm ID stinger pipe on the end that goes to the muffler. I want to cut off the sound baffling structure that slides into it, and just have a cap.

What I'm curious about is, how would the exhaust gasses behave when exiting the final cone of the pipe into this 8" long empty space, and then going into a stinger and out the muffler? Should I instead chop off this baffle can and just have a stinger going from the end of the final cone all the way to the muffler?

In red:

Cut off baffle and make an entirely new stinger?

In blue:

Cut off internal sound baffle and use the existing end cap and stinger?

20190908_003137.jpg
IMG383865294567652666.jpg

Re: Derestricting a Derbi RD-50 pipe

Josiah Radebaugh /

Could make your own baffle. I'd Cut that off.. Get a longer piece of tubing the same diameter and make bigger baffle.

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Could make your own baffle. I'd Cut that off.. Get a longer piece of

> tubing the same diameter and make bigger baffle.

Why would he want a bigger baffle?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Why not. Less noise.

Baron Von Hamilton /

It looks like you have a good idea. Try it and see what it does.

« Go to Topic — end of thread