Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I'm really liking this setup. The toothed belt is very nice. It made it worse when I was running the stock motor but the metrakit has enough power to make it go.

MVIMG_20191112_193653.jpg

I'm getting some drip from somewhere getting on the exhaust. I think it may be the screw mount flange. I used the malossi gasket and I don't think it crushes good. I might use a stock copper one. Maybe it's just spooge seeping through the weld lol. Last I checked it was tight af.

I picked a sheet of PTFE to put in the variator to shim the outer cheek to variate a little further. I'll get that put in sometime this week. I'm afraid it might be too soft. We'll see.

I know it's getting cold when my temp sensor stops displaying correctly lol

IMG_20191112_212845.jpg

(edited)

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

with that much squish, why run a head gasket?

love this thread, keep it going!

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> the worst terry Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> with that much squish, why run a head gasket?

I was fighting myself with this when building it. I think next time i pull the motor i'll sand the mating surfaces on some glass and run no gasket. Should put squish around 1.2mm. At this point the head definitely has some more heatsoaking potential.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i'm a huge advocate of copper spray instead of head gaskets on everything and it's never let me down. best heat transfer too!

IMG_20191018_143849.jpg
IMG_20191018_144222.jpg

(edited)

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Me: Jokes about welds leaking.

Welds: Hold my beer

IMG_20191113_183120.jpg

Rips dicks now tho. Still counts as stock pipe.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

YO SHOULD I GET THIS BLASTER

NOS-sito-peugeot-cobra-3-2.jpg

or get like a simo circuit or something.

I want to keep my pedals and dont really want to get an extender because i dont think i can get my right side cotter out. i broke a c-clamp last time i tried to pull it. Maybe it has changed it's mind

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

The Simo Circuit is a good'n.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

The simo that they sell breaks literally everywhere. I would say pick up a tomos tecno and hack it up, better pipe for sure.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

It is fragile, but it's soo good

Just have to brace it real good and it'll hold up for maybe a couple hundred miles sometimes

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Channeled my inner Stephen Simmons and hot glued the bitch back together. The bigger the gob, the better the job. Hell yeah brother

IMG_20191114_184109.jpg

I would weld stuff but long story short, I got kicked out of my previous garage and the one car unit I moved into doesn't have a breaker/decent power and the landlord will kick me out if I cause problems. (edited)

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Channeled my inner Stephen Simmons and hot glued the bitch back

> together. The bigger the gob, the better the job. Hell yeah brother

>

> I would weld stuff but long story short, I got kicked out of my previous

> garage and the one car unit I moved into doesn't have a breaker/decent

> power and the landlord will kick me out if I cause problems.

Getter done!

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

Awh.....I am doing bad welding toooo! Hahahah well not brazing!

So so good!

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Channeled my inner Stephen Simmons and hot glued the bitch back

> together. The bigger the gob, the better the job. Hell yeah brother

So i lost like 8 miles an hour sealing it back up which i find amusing but it all makes sense

I think I'm going to put 2 additional exit pipes on it. I might do 3 do i can smoke down the road like a crop duster. Maybe wait for a sale i guess to grab a different pipe.

Are moby pipe threads different than peugeot (wait now i see they are the same)? I Have a Banana Blaster I could probably use but i would need to get a ball joint for it. HMMMMMMMMMM. that would look sick though HMMMM

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

And Banana Blasters are secret sauce game genie cheat codes.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

> Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> And Banana Blasters are secret sauce game genie cheat codes.

Ya I want one but don’t want to drop the cheese......

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

If you can't dent it with a hard flick, it ain't a real blaster ;)

> Baron Von Moped Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > And Banana Blasters are secret sauce game genie cheat codes.

>

> Ya I want one but don’t want to drop the cheese......

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

Jansen Hanzer /

use a real pipe

you are wasting your time

putting lipstick on a pig

ok thank you

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

> Jansen Hanzer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> use a real pipe

>

> you are wasting your time

>

> putting lipstick on a pig

>

> ok thank you

This may be true but the right modified pug stock exhaust has done 45-50 mph. There is no fun in just bolting stuff on either. So to say someone is waisting their time is BS......

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jansen Hanzer Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > use a real pipe

>

> >

>

> > you are wasting your time

>

> >

>

> > putting lipstick on a pig

>

> >

>

> > ok thank you

>

> This may be true but the right modified pug stock exhaust has done 45-50

> mph. There is no fun in just bolting stuff on either. So to say someone

> is waisting their time is BS......

Yeah I got 47 on the stock pipe with cracked header welds lol. I don't think I'm wasting time, but I'm definitely not wasting money. I like messing with these things probably more than I like riding them. I ride to work every day all year; I get enough of that. I'm pretty much just waiting for stuff to break so I can fix it.

ALSO, I mocked up the banana blaster last night. I would need to move the mounting bracket on the pipe back but thats fine because it's in a terrible spot anyway and there's a lot of rearward weight on it. With a ball joint, it should fit and will shoot out less upwards than when mounted on a flatreed. It should clear the centerstand but I will need to extend the pedal. NBD. Prolly gonna do that but I don't think it will be for a while.

Do other springs like the Doppler fit the polini spring thingy? I can't reuse the stock spring. Maybe I'll get a gas piston too. Polini spring too soft.

I haven't messed with the weights yet. I might just try running some nuts or something. Maybe trim the weights a bit. I'll mess with the variator today.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> I like messing with these things probably more than I like riding them. I ride to work every day all year; I get enough of that. I'm pretty much just

> waiting for stuff to break so I can fix it.

^^^^^^ I know this feeling! I love to ride but I love building even more.

> Do other springs like the Doppler fit the polini spring thingy? I can't

> reuse the stock spring. Maybe I'll get a gas piston too. Polini spring

> too soft.

I always use the gas strut on MBK and Pugs. I honestly couldn't tell you how to set up any of the springs because I've NEVER used them unless the bike was completely stock. I always use ceramic balls also instead of the metal ones. Well I'm Motobecanes but I will be in my Vogue build also.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> I always use the gas strut on MBK and Pugs. I honestly couldn't tell you

> how to set up any of the springs because I've NEVER used them unless the

> bike was completely stock. I always use ceramic balls also instead of

> the metal ones. Well I'm Motobecanes but I will be in my Vogue build

> also.

What weight strut do you usually run on 70cc?

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Stephen Simmons Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > I always use the gas strut on MBK and Pugs. I honestly couldn't tell

> you

>

> > how to set up any of the springs because I've NEVER used them unless

> the

>

> > bike was completely stock. I always use ceramic balls also instead of

>

> > the metal ones. Well I'm Motobecanes but I will be in my Vogue build

>

> > also.

>

> What weight strut do you usually run on 70cc?

It really depends on how much weight you have in the variator. 50lbs usually does the trick but I have had to run a 40 and a 60 to get variation just right. They're only like $11 for the strut and easy to swap out once you install it.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Stephen Simmons Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Jansen Hanzer Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > use a real pipe

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > you are wasting your time

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > putting lipstick on a pig

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > ok thank you

>

> >

>

> > This may be true but the right modified pug stock exhaust has done

> 45-50

>

> > mph. There is no fun in just bolting stuff on either. So to say

> someone

>

> > is waisting their time is BS......

>

> Yeah I got 47 on the stock pipe with cracked header welds lol. I don't

> think I'm wasting time, but I'm definitely not wasting money. I like

> messing with these things probably more than I like riding them. I ride

> to work every day all year; I get enough of that. I'm pretty much just

> waiting for stuff to break so I can fix it.

>

> ALSO, I mocked up the banana blaster last night. I would need to move

> the mounting bracket on the pipe back but thats fine because it's in a

> terrible spot anyway and there's a lot of rearward weight on it. With a

> ball joint, it should fit and will shoot out less upwards than when

> mounted on a flatreed. It should clear the centerstand but I will need

> to extend the pedal. NBD. Prolly gonna do that but I don't think it will

> be for a while.

>

> Do other springs like the Doppler fit the polini spring thingy? I can't

> reuse the stock spring. Maybe I'll get a gas piston too. Polini spring

> too soft.

>

> I haven't messed with the weights yet. I might just try running some

> nuts or something. Maybe trim the weights a bit. I'll mess with the

> variator today.

Go to Ace Hardware or the equivalent in your area and buy some springs that match the OD of the polini spring.

Also get some skinny ones to slip inside the bigger one.

You can get get them for a few dollars a piece and cut them and experiment. Make them a bit longer so you can preload them or make some dual rate springs.

If you put a gas spring on make sure its mounted to match the movement of the engine. I've had the mounts break and the shock explode from slight alignment issues .

Love that you got that stock pipe on there.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I messed with the variator a bit. I put a 1/32" thick piece of PTFE under where the arms push. I'm not sure how long it will last, I assume it will deform/compress fairly quickly. It is super slippery though and I can push the launch lever down all the time now since it doesn't get jammed. Get a lil bit extra variation out of it. Next time I open it up, I'll see how it's doing. Might switch to a harder delrin shim.

I lightened the weights too. They are 25 grams each initially. I just chopped off even amounts which I think was too much for my "pipe" setup and lowered them to 16 grams each.

IMG_20191116_145345.jpg

Also put the old set of ebrs on it. Had to swap the lower tree from my Vespa with the magnum length one that was on the forks. The ol switcheroo. At least both have proper length tubes now and I have a ton of leftover spacers lol. Still need to graft the fender and speedo stuff over.

IMG_20191116_171710.jpg

Also, after i modified the variator, the circlip on the spring fell off at some point. im not sure how long i rode it around like that. it was all jacked up but it was still working lol. I put another spring inside the polini spring while i had it apart and put a nice aluminium shaft collar on the end so it should be good now. no more goating at least, but honestly im not sure if it variates all the way with all that.

I've only ridden it home and to the corner store. It definitely feels better.I ordered the stuff to try and mount the pipe. (edited)

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

I love this thread.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

https://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-engine-cases-54mm-bore-for-metrakit-cyli-p/peugeot-case-metrakit-bored.htm

WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL LOOK WHAT WE HAVE HERE! NOT A LOT OF MEAT ON THEM BONES YOU GOT THERE EH?

also the kit with the uncut head is back to $125 so that's neat

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

This is a dumb question, I'm sure, but these bored out cases still need the spacer. Yes?

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This is a dumb question, I'm sure, but these bored out cases still need

> the spacer. Yes?

yeah definitely need the spacer. It looks like the cylinder skirt still needs to be cut too

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You have to use both the polini and stock spring, just the polini spring

> is probably goating like a mf’er

This made my day, I never knew what to call under sprung jerky lerching... forever goating.

Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

fukkin tits man!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account