Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I was looking at the ball join last night, how do i get the restricter plate out? It doesn't look welded at least from the outside; i don't think i checked the inside. It doesn't seem to move so maybe there is a weld on the inside.

I assume i just hit it with a hammer toward the exit side.

Yep hammer that bitch out

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yep hammer that bitch out

It came out super easy.

This fits so that's cool

IMG_20191121_184336.jpg

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Here it is mocked up. Clears the centerstand er should at least. I got one of the fancy arguably over-engineered mlm pedal extender things. It will probably end up just a hair lower in the back.

IMG_20191121_190423.jpg

I accidentally ripped a huge hole in the pipe when I was removing the og bracket because I'm lazy and tried to crack the welds before cutting them enough so I hot glued a patch over it. Looks fuggin Tite.

IMG_20191121_200552.jpg

Gotta hit the hardware store tomorrow to grab some metal to make a bracket to hang the pipe. I am excite. This pipe is long as fuck and I think will work well for my goals with this. (edited)

Alan, DC's resident trash bike wizard. Always claims his bikes are going to blow up but they never do.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Ha sick.

IMG_20191122_204734.jpg

I need to lower that headlight

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

After i mounted the pipe, i rode it around the block and it has seriously woken up. Shocking i know. The launch lever absolutely kicks ass when you have power. Before, it would make it a little better but the soup can pipe setup's power is very flat.

My friends were out at one of the bars that I consider pretty far away for where I am at about 6 miles out. I was afraid to go that far primarily because i think my shit welds will break and the shit will be fucked. The pipe did fine though. I'm glad that my fake banana blaster is very heavy gauge metal and the welds took pretty easily. I'm actually getting some spooge leaking from where the braze patch is and not the spots i rabbit turd welded. neat

So i hit 50 on it on places were i would normally only get to about 40. But of course, now all the problems begin.

Previously, i would peak maybe 310 after chugging up a long uphill. I was like 50% through my 6 miles just before the blasty long stretch and when i was chopping throttle i was getting indications that it was hot and about to soft seize. i look at saw i was getting close to 390. o shit! i back off a little and diddle the thumb choke a bit to keep her cool. No problem; good thing I got that. I haven't had a cable choke on something in a long time and i miss it. I think the idle is still tuned pretty lean.

I pull off when i can and put one of the metal mesh SHA filters in to deal with the temps and it's back to blasting. I hit the road where i can really open it up. it's a 40mph section but i was passing cars on an uphill and i felt like i was flying. it was great, she was screaming and hauling ass. I get to the end of the fast bit and pull off on a side road to avoid getting stuck at a light. As im rolling up to a stop sign, the bike just kinda putters to a stop. Wtf i says.

I briefly try to get it started again, but it wants nothing to do with that. Hmmm. I hop off to see if there's anything obvious and the damn carb fell off and i lost my filter. It seemed fine when i put the filter on but now that i look back and think about it, i'm really not sure if it was. One time my garelli's carb was literally not attached and just floating over the intake and it was still running. I think the cables on that held it in place enough to still operate. I thought that was cool as shit.

Anyways, i put the carb back on and crank it down and make it to the bar a few blocks away.

MVIMG_20191122_215603.jpg

Going home is where the real problems start.

So, after i had done the screaming I started to notice a little bit of shuddering at high RPM but i wasn't consistent enough for me to worry about at the time. It worked fine after leaving bar A to go to bar B. But when i was heading home, and had a chance to wind it out again, the stutter started to get worse. and worse. I would stop and check stuff. add the black SHA cap to see if it was fuel, but that didn't seem to help.

I was about 4 miles from home and pull into a lot behind the police training administration facility or whatever the hell it is and try to troubleshoot. It's dark as fuck there and i can see my points arcing past the back of the flywheel, so i adjust them. The arcing stop but it still runs like shit. I pulled the carb to check for blockage and it's fine. I can only assume the cheap china ignition coil burned up. It idles fine, but it just will not take any revs. I tried the old trick of changing to a fresh plug to no avail.

So i pedaled the bitch 4 miles home. It was lit and i didn't get stabbed.

I have an internal coil from a sachs that i think i can make work. I'm going to dig deeper today and see if i can figure out anything else that could be happening but my bet is ignition. (edited)

Or get that le partie

Le party with the jog box is were it's at

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

So I swapped the coil to Bosch one from my Sachs stater. No change. But it was sparking and now there's fancy German parts instead of Taiwan parts.

IMG_20191124_130601.jpg

The compression felt kinda poopy so I pulled the motor to check it out. There was a small smear on the piston but it was nothing I would worry about. The ring looked ok and the gap was actually slightly larger than the recommended gap but good enough.

There was spooge everywhere. In all the stud holes. The head gasket was definitely leaking slightly.

I sanded the head and jug flat and used copper spray for a head gasket. Compression went from 120 or whatever to 155. Hell yeah.

I try to start. Still broke. Points are still arcing. I adjust them. No dice no start.

I touch the condenser and get shocked. Hm that's not normal. I poke it with a screwdriver a bit and it starts right up and is fine.

My solder joint was shit. Ha.

C'est la vie.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

The higher compression and tighter squish rips so hard.

My idle mixture screw rattled out so that carb might be a paperweight now. I'm going to see if a phbg screw fits; they look pretty similar but my hopes are low.

i'll probably just end up saying "fuel economy be damned" and throw on the 19mm phbg i have on there.

Too much blasting.

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> Too much blasting.

Is there such a thing ? ;)

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I rode to the hardware store to get some stainless hardware for an old paintball gun and cracked the header some how. I also found a big ass crack by the baffle.

Weldered her back together all good.

IMG_20191201_182349.jpg

I'm still impressed my hanger welds are doing good.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

So I rode it around for another week or so, only in the evenings when getting to where I was going was less important.

Found another crack in the header, so I fixed that.

IMG_20191206_192253.jpg

Heading home on Saturday night, my upper bolt on the exhaust pivotty thing fell out and I drug the pipe like 50 feet. I went back on Sunday to find the parts I couldn't find in the dark and a nice old guy found the last piece I couldn't find after looking for 30 minutes. He found it in like 5 seconds and then he disappeared. P sure he was a ghost.

Then on Sunday night when I was heading home it got really loud as it does when shit hits the fan.

IMG_20191209_193022.jpg

The whole baffle fell off and I have yet to find it. It's on a yuppie block and I feel like they'll call the cops on me for crawling under their cars to find the part or some shit. I keep riding by and trying to find it. I feel like it shouldn't be hard because it's giant, but I've had no success.

Not sure what I want to do with that pipe now. Might cap the end and make it a side bleed.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

But anyways for now, back to the stock pipe as it is trusty and the best.

Added another speed hole. Looks lit.

IMG_20191209_200444.jpg
IMG_20191209_200457.jpg
IMG_20191209_201403.jpg

So I have a 19phbg now (which I don't think I ever mentioned) and the stock pipe. PROBLEMS HERE WE COME

> So I rode it around for another week or so, only in the evenings when

> getting to where I was going was less important.

>

> Found another crack in the header, so I fixed that.

>

> Heading home on Saturday night, my upper bolt on the exhaust pivotty

> thing fell out and I drug the pipe like 50 feet. I went back on Sunday

> to find the parts I couldn't find in the dark and a nice old guy found

> the last piece I couldn't find after looking for 30 minutes. He found it

> in like 5 seconds and then he disappeared. P sure he was a ghost.

>

> Then on Sunday night when I was heading home it got really loud as it

> does when shit hits the fan.

>

> The whole baffle fell off and I have yet to find it. It's on a yuppie

> block and I feel like they'll call the cops on me for crawling under

> their cars to find the part or some shit. I keep riding by and trying to

> find it. I feel like it shouldn't be hard because it's giant, but I've

> had no success.

>

> Not sure what I want to do with that pipe now. Might cap the end and

> make it a side bleed.

Did you not notice how loud the bike got and decide to turn your head around to look at the baffle tumbling down the road?

I fucking watched a hub cap go flying off the rear passenger wheel of a company truck and that bitch was gone. Rolled for atleast a mile I bet

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

> Did you not notice how loud the bike got and decide to turn your head

> around to look at the baffle tumbling down the road?

yup! It was getting progressively louder as i got closer to home but I was a few blocks from home so i just figured i'd just push through. I was too busy hooning and not taking a safe route and must have hit a crack in the street that did it in.

It got v loud, i looked back and saw it tumbling, but didn't see where it stopped. Probably on the roof of someone's house or in low earth orbit.

I'm kinda glad i have the stocker back on because it is so much quieter and stoplights and stuff don't matter anymore

Oh man!

Hacked up stocker back at it!

> > Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > Did you not notice how loud the bike got and decide to turn your head

>

> > around to look at the baffle tumbling down the road?

>

> yup! It was getting progressively louder as i got closer to home but I

> was a few blocks from home so i just figured i'd just push through. I

> was too busy hooning and not taking a safe route and must have hit a

> crack in the street that did it in.

>

> It got v loud, i looked back and saw it tumbling, but didn't see where

> it stopped. Probably on the roof of someone's house or in low earth

> orbit.

>

> I'm kinda glad i have the stocker back on because it is so much quieter

> and stoplights and stuff don't matter anymore

stick the stock exhaust in the end of the expansion chamber!

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

> stick the stock exhaust in the end of the expansion chamber!

I actually had this thought. I might just make a side bleed baffle that is the stock pipe. I think that would be super janky and right up my alley.

I dont really want to run the end bleed because i think the balance would be a lot better with less weight so far out. hmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmm

> I actually had this thought. I might just make a side bleed baffle that

> is the stock pipe. I think that would be super janky and right up my

> alley.

Do it . You can always change it . ;)

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Baron Von Moped Wrote:

> Oh man!

>

> Hacked up stocker back at it!

Hell yeah brother! Only lost 2 mph too which I find amusing, we won't talk about the loss of acceleration.... :< . I think I could lean out the main and get that 2mph back though. My carb is 19 and the pipe is a carbon covered 18mm ID so prolly 17. Idk it's not ideal but it works and it's much more low key.

*HMMMM intensifies*

IMG_20191212_191942.jpg

(edited)

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

She's dead.

IMG_20200812_130732_065.jpg

The plug was way too hot and I think the timing was too advanced. Look how melty. It was also detonating fairly regularly but I was too lazy to do much about it. RIP

IMG_20200812_124003_01.jpg

On my birthday 2 months ago the variator nut came off and the starter shoes wreaked havoc on the kit, but I find it amusing that there is more scoring on the side with more fins.

IMG_20200619_200414.jpg

I ended up scooping up a Doppler street cup pipe and it woke this thing up real good. I had gps'd it at 63 and it was absolutely terrifying.

I already have another metrakit and I'm going to try and do a little better job with the set up this time; should be able to squeeze a few more mph out of it. I'll post stuff when I get around doing the job. Probably need a new crank cause there's piston bits everywhere, but it's not crunchy or anything. Idk. I'm also kinda worried about heat damage to the small end of the conrod, but I'll worry about that when I split it.

The soup can exhaust would have never let this happen :<

This was a great from conception of life to the death of a bike thread. Sorry it died but just means a fun rebuild!

Wow, that's a pretty good run for something putting down that kind of power.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Lol I'm glad treats was running a sale and I didn't hesitate to replace the crank. Initially, I thought I could get away with it. Now it only a maybe hahaha

IMG_20200909_121456.jpg

Nomnomnom

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

So instead of removing half the skirt, I'm just gonna bevel it like this. I stole it from tomahawks Instagram story lol

IMG_20200909_131017.jpg

As you can see, it fits pretty good already and I don't know why I didn't do this before. I need to remove some high spots in the skirt hole and it will fit fine. Even without cutting the other side. Much less slap. Granted it lasted really long despite the slap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_20200909_131049.jpg

I guess I'll cut the window out still. I'm not sure if I should leave the bottom of the window. Probably. I think I'll open the case to match the window too since I'm pretty sure the extra case volume won't matter since it's made for 50cc cylinders. I dunno. Mopeds

Also think I'll window the piston rocket myself to 1000mph (edited)

Cutting the "T" out of the cylinder skirt and notching the shit out of the piston will wake that fucker up, no doubt.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

So i cut out the T and the remaining skirt fingers are pretty thin but it should be fine i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I opened up the intake to match the fingers.

I dont know shit about putting piston windows in stuff so im kinda hesitant to just start chopping. Interestingly, the airsal single ring pistons that come with this thing appear to be backwards. The Thinner skirt is on the intake side, which looks to be the opposite of what i've seen in other posts.

With that in mind, cutting a notch as wide as the tapered skirt fingers is out of the question. I suppose i could move the ring locating pin but I don't think that will be necessary. I was thinking just a window the size of the top of the taper skirt fangers. My main interest is lubricating the wrist pin bearing.

Something like this. It's just a rough marking to see if it would fit and how much piston would be left over. I'll try and choculate some timing but realistically i'll probably just cut a hole in it and not give a shit. It'll be fine

the top line is when the piston is at bdc. The middle line is when the piston is flush with the bottom of the skirt, and the bottom line is roughly when the transfers begin to open.

The hole doesnt look like the right location but i have literally no idea what i'm doing. More hole make fast

It’s not out of the question. It’s done all the time. Go all the way down with what you already have marked out.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account