Re: I'm casting another cylinder

Thanks for all the support ;) Now that the Holidays are over I should be casting again this weekend. I'll be sure to share whatever happens.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

What durations are you using?

Looks like It could make big power.

I don't really know much about this kind of casting but would it be easier to cast the cylinder around an existing sleeve? Or perhaps to cast the bore undersized and then bore it for a press in sleeve? It seems to me that the bore/sleeve is the most critical part.

People who think it is a waste of time don't get it and probably never will.

Yep you can buy or pay for some trick shit. But everyone's end goal is not the same. The quest for knowledge outweighs the end result.

Lots of people have trouble seeing the forest for the trees.

I poured another mold yesterday & cracked it today. During the plaster investment there were issues so I wasnt too hopeful. The result made progress on some things and problems elsewhere. Now that I have two to compare, Im tweaking the mold. The new one isnt usable, but only barely.

20200106_182548.jpg

Tantalisingly close. This is soooo cool

@Matt the numbers can change based on how the jug gets machined, but the starting point is 190 .deg exhaust 130-127-122 .deg transfers.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Okay this is my two cents when you're casting it and you're doing the wax molds there is a spray that is a ceramic coat it will clean up all the jagged edges and give you a smooth finish

Josh G what cad program did you use to draw the cylinder print and does any one know if any of the free 3d cad programs manage to do this ? or do you need a expensive program ?

Hi Alan, I built the model in SketchUp, of which the basic version is free. I however, would probably recommend Fusion 360 because of its parametric capability, even though it's a bit harder to learn. (it does better with curvier shapes)

I cut one of my failed castings in half to check on the metal quality & ports. I cleaned it up a smidge, but this is before boring, machining or porting:

Cylinder cut in half.jpg

I know jack all about this wizardry, but I'm fairly confident in saying you did good there. Surely what you want to see is solid metal going through and that is what I can see. Am I right? Are you right? Right?

fusion 360 is free with the correct license and works awesome for this kinda stuff.

I can't wait to run a team nerdspeed cylinder one day

Thanks Terry!

Ryan- This cylinder was kinda iffy during the plaster investment process. I misjudged the water in the mix and the plaster went in like peanut butter, creating accidental large voids the aluminum would fill (blue circle) also, the aluminum was poured slightly cooler than optimal, which creates the 'marbelized' pattern in the purple circle. -but this would've been cleaned up while boring to spec. I'm mostly worried about the imperfections in the orange rings, as it looks like some plaster or sand gathered in such a way to defect the top of the port. My latest mold is using a different plaster mixture ratio and I will be pouring the aluminum at a higher temp. *fingers crossed!*

Cylinder cut in half2.jpg

Do you have to have sand mixed in the plaster of paris ?

Alan- Oh yes. Plaster of Paris alone will crack apart when you heat up the mold, sand strengthens it against the heat.

isn't this like recreating the wheel? not to be lazy but can't u contact one of the manufacturers and shadow them? this must be i wanna figure it out by myself thing.

There are 2 very good reasons to do this;

1. The experience of doing so.

2. Making a more adventurous cilinder than the ones available.

good work! keep it up. great to see someone go beyond basic mopeds!

Dirty30 Dillon /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> isn't this like recreating the wheel? not to be lazy but can't u contact

> one of the manufacturers and shadow them? this must be i wanna figure it

> out by myself thing.

Lol, yeah. Malossi/Polini are just gonna let some US enthusiast watch their R&D and Manufacturing process.

I agree that this is really mostly driven by an "I did it myself" philosophy,and that most professionally cast/mapped cylinders will out perform the vast majority of anything home-brew. That said, if you cast your own cylinder and it performs well at all, that is FUCKING SICK.

a couple months ago id seen stacks of molds across the lot from a fishin rod place. It was some sort of auto/industrial casting place and i thought to myself wouldn't that be cool to learn "how to do that".

Dream job #273: airsal factory

Kind of an old video but it might help...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account