Kitting a za50

Jeff insinna /

I just picked up a 70cc kit for my 1980 Newport Ii... I'm planning on tearing the whole thing down and painting it, so it will be a while before she's back together.... I know that I will have to do a plug chop, but what is a good plug to start with?... Any help would be great

Re: Kitting a za50

Overpriced Parts /

#7-8 ngk but you need to know a heck of a lot more than that!

I suggest you at read this :

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing and other things in wiki like kitting, jetting and tuning and re-gear your bike to keep RPMs down so you don’t blow it up,

Kevin Bishop /

1 Shift dampeners

2 Those bearings probably won't come off the crank so...

3 Loctite that shit before you close it up

4 End float

Plug chopping is for jetting, you don't change the plug type unless it's too hot or cold. You shouldn't need to worry about that tho if your not going crazy.

You'll need a bigger carb and intake. I assume that you have a 12mm bing, best to go with a 15bing if you want to stick to a single jet carb.

Shift dampeners are REQUIRED, even if your not kitting. They deteriorate over time and fall apart. Then boom, sumfin breaks.

Familiarize yourself with end float. You are going to need to reshim the transmission if you rebuild it. The trans gasket is a specific thickness, so if you decide to not rebuild it DONT RUIN THE GASKET when doing dampeners, flip the 2nd speed clutch while your in there too. Helps delay the shift...

Ruin the gasket or don't reshim right during rebuild and you'll blow the bearings right outta the casting.

You could just do a refresh if the bearings are in good shape. New seals dampeners etc. That's what I did on my first za that only had 200mi and was in great shape.

Don't do it of your not comfortable man. Alot goes into a za, its not just pull apart and re assemble. You need precise mechanist instruments to measure end float, pullers for the bearings.

Also, kinda pointless to do a 70cc kit and keep the old exhaust. Estoril is a good za pipe.

Edit- just checked your posts and saw that you did the dampeners already. Yay good job (edited)

do you have another Mope to ride while this ones in the repair?

Jeff insinna /

Nope...my only mope!... But it's winter here,so I'm rebuilding it in the down time

Jeff insinna /

I bought a kit off of moped division... Came with 15mm carb and a pipe...not really happy how the intake is, my carb needs to be tilted to fit...I'm having a friend machine a spacer for me... Flipped clutch and did pucks... Motor only has 200 miles on it... had 80 or so when I got it last year.... Spent last summer fighting a dirty gas tank... I tore the whole bike apart for paint and to thoroughly clean tank...

IMG_20200102_081044115.jpg

Mmmm choice cuts in gravy, my favorite.

Clone bingz suck. I’d recommend taking the guts out of yours, specifically the atomizer and needle. What is the pipe? If it’s a fuego boss, we should rename this thread, “killing a za”.

Jeff insinna /

This is the kit I bought...

Screenshot_20200102-214643.png

Jeff insinna /

Thanks for the advice... Will definitely take the steps I need... I'm a mechanic by trade...just recently got into moped's....lotsa learning! Hopefully not the hard way

Overpriced Parts /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Clone bingz suck. I’d recommend taking the guts out of yours,

> specifically the atomizer and needle. What is the pipe? If it’s a fuego

> boss, we should rename this thread, “killing a za”.

Ha ha ya that’s the truth,

Moped division knows little about what fits or what they even sell, the few things I bought from them was wrong from the description, they/he have no customer service knowledge compared to treats or DOS

You need a riser or 2 intakes cutting one off at base to make a riser to fit over a za50 hump or tall stock intake dremeled/opened up to 15mm

I wouldn’t go that extreme Ken. Moped Division is pretty damn good in my book. If you email them with any questions or concerns Victor gets right back to you and they ship super quick.

Treats has just been doing adjustments over the years to their party packs. I bought a phbg party pack years ago for a ZA and had to make a spacer for the same reason. It’s mopeds and there is no perfect part unless your using a NOS ZA intake and genuine bing. Which is getting harder to come by.

DOS/Treats are hard to beat but Moped Division is pretty solid. Plus they had the best holiday sale and they do discounts for return customers and clubs.

I will say my first step is always check the DOS site if I don’t see what I want on it I’ll email them and if they don’t have it I’ll check elsewhere. (Which is rare)

We are lucky there is so many parts available. DOS, Treats, Moped Division and Denny Cycles are all really good. I just steer clear of 1977 unless you want to pay more to get parts drop shipped from DOS or Treats.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account