Peugeot 103 build - airsal kit, reeds kit, etc.

Hey there folks! whats up?!

I've ridden my Peugeot moped quite a bit in its current position, but I'm ready to take it up a notch. right now I'm running a little over thirty mph with a basically stock set up. current mods include exhaust port shaved, derestricted stock exhaust, Athena reeds, 15mm Dellorto SHA carb, and brand new seals and bearings and gaskets. recently it just stopped running and I'm like 98% sure its the hacked up ignition coil (i used Myrons fix from the web site Myron's moped. it worked for a long time but I think it just went kaput).

Basically, its time for some new parts. I would really like to see a solid 45mph with good acceleration so definitely gonna get a kit. here's a picture of the stuff I plan on buying. since I'm pretty good with welding I will probably make my own pipe ( my wallet could use the break anyway, bein a poor college student and all). will probably continue to run the dellorto sha I got for now also. so what should i buy. anything that I don't have in the cart that i should get? anything in the cart I shouldn't get. also just go ahead and give me all your advice and two cents about doing this build. Im a relative newb so any info would be great!

Screenshot 2019-12-31 at 2.42.08 PM.png

Re: Peugeot 103 build - airsal kit, reeds kit, etc.

I have a similar set up

70 Airsal (small port)

15 sha

Airsal carbon fiber reeds

Le Partie cdi

Polini Country pipe

Honestly the sha is a bit boggy for this set up, and I love me a sha, you'd be better off sticking with your present reeds and ordering a PHBG set up, I know its a bit more money, but mannnn my sha is hurting on there, I just ordered a 19 PHBG and will be swapping it out tomorrow

PS: Order a real head gasket! The gasket included will fail on your first start

Do not get a 70cc cheapo kit, you will blow it up. Also those reed blocks are garbage and you will have air leaks. Keep the sha with the athena reeds. Get a le partie cdi and either the airsal 50 or the teknix kit. It helps to learn to tune first. I’m a firm believer in one thing at a time.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do not get a 70cc cheapo kit, you will blow it up. Also those reed

> blocks are garbage and you will have air leaks. Keep the sha with the

> athena reeds. Get a le partie cdi and either the airsal 50 or the teknix

> kit. It helps to learn to tune first.

I’m a firm believer in one thing

> at a time.

This is solid advice, the 6port 50 Airsal is 90$ and fan-fucking-tastic

Hey guys thanks for all the great input! I definitely agree with you on the one thing at a time process. due to the coupon code and free shipping over $150 on treatland, however, I wanted to buy the kit and all other parts at once. once I get the package, the go-fast stuff will sit on the shelf till I get the new ignition coil on and the bike running as-is.

With that out of the way, let's talk speed parts. I reeeeaaaally would like to run a 70cc kit, but yall are steering me toward a 50. would yall suggest I just get a different 70 kit, or definitely do 50? if I do go 70 would ya strongly discourage the Airsal kit as it did seem to have relatively good feed back from the folks who have used it? As far as intake + carb goes, I absolutely plan on going with a phbg. the reed set up that I had in mind seemed like a good high volume intake that would fit my case and hook up to a spigot mount phbg relatively easily in the future when i have some more cash.

So what are your thoughts on that? I really appreciate all your input so far! it has been fantastic!

French bikes with 70 kits are a challenge, as heat management is always problem, you can get good speed out of the 50 kits while displacing heat better

That said im running the small port 70 Airsal and loving it, however Im using a liquid cooled head to mitigate the heat, not that a normal head cant, its just easier

intake/carb, just get the Malossi phbg combo pack, it will treat you right

Airsal 50 is way faster than the 70. The big port airsal 70 is a beast though, kinda like a the old gila 70 but with mondo transfers. Probably won’t seal up on stock cases well unless you use a metal spacer. They have phbg intakes for the 2 petal, but If you must run a 4 petal, the malossi is the only way to go.

Why not port your stock cylinder into a three transfer setup? Nothing is stopping you from cutting your way into a legit 50cc kit

> niklaus _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why not port your stock cylinder into a three transfer setup? Nothing is

> stopping you from cutting your way into a legit 50cc kit

I'm a NOOB!!!!! Honestly, maybe I could do it, but I'm down to just to spend the money and get a kit that I know will give me good results and that other people are familiar with so I can get help with tuning. Great suggestion though!

Also if I was gonna go to the trouble of carving that much aluminum, I would probably jest by the Metrakit 70cc frankenkit for Peugeot and build it out with that...

At any rate, this is where I'm at:

- treats cdi ignition for peugeot

- Airsal 50cc

- When I can afford it - Mallosi intake/phbg party pack to go with the current Athena reeds

so what do yall think of that? keep in mind that I plan on using the formulas and spreadsheet to design and weld a pipe for it in the future. so my final set up would look something like airsal 50, cdi ignition, Malossi + phbg, home built pipe. Good set up????????????

also, (maybe a stupid question) does the treats CDI have a lighting coil and if so is it 6 or twelve volts? (pardon my ignorance)

And last, I was thinking about buying the malossi intake and getting an aliexpress Chinese phbg copycat till I can afford the better quality dellorto one. I know these carbs have got a bad reputation but hey I'm running a Chinese SHA right now anyway!

Screenshot 2020-01-04 at 12.00.16 PM.png

Yea that is a good start. Depending on the pipe you should be able to meet your goals pretty easily, it isn’t that difficult of a kit to tune in. You’re probably going to want to do some variator weight shaving to get it to hit right.

Alright! Parts are ordered! If yins want I'll post pictures and progress updates as I go on this thread. I already bought some translucent blue powder coat for some various parts of this ped (probably the rims and top tube will get a hit of it). I have also started working on welding up a top tube. I've got an old seat that I plan on recovering with some tan vinyl from the sewing store. and would like to set up a new set of handlebars + controls. At any rate...

Thank you all for the input! I am sure that this will turn out much better now than if i'd remained uninformed.

Nice, good luck. Looking forward to see what pipe you end up with. Don’t forget to hog out the cases for the top transfer!

Alrighty, guys! Well, the parts finally came in the mail and so it was time to install the CDI kit. I went to it and quickly realized that the mounting screws that hold the stator plate to the case were too short. I ran to the hardware store and got two of the correct size Allen bolts, a bag of washers and two #10 screw protectors. I used the screw protectors with the ends cut off as bushings in the holes and they made the stator plate fit perfectly centered and nothing was rattly or susceptible to vibration. Bingo!!! At any rate, I got it all put together, loctited, and wired it up. despite the engine being cold, it started the first kick of the pedal. It seems to run better than it ever has and im wishing that this would have been the first thing I had done to the bike when I got it. It would have eliminated a whole lot of hassle.

Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 11.07.16 PM.png

Here's a few pics...

20200110_210419_compress16.jpg
20200110_211744_compress39.jpg
20200110_211904_compress73.jpg

And here's my current exhaust setup. It's just the stock pipe with a new end cap baffle thing with extra holes for extra power...

20200110_211814_compress54.jpg
20200110_211808_compress33.jpg

Any updates? Also thinking about going airsal 50 + stock cases punched out to third eye and curious how ya made out.

^do it it’s great

Yeah man! Absolutely! I will go ahead and post some updates. The thread kinda went dead so I stopped posting but when I get home to my computer will throw up some pics and progress.

i have a stock 103 also - cant wait to se how this turns out.

Ok, guys! Sorry, it took so long. busy with college and I'm just taking this one slow so that I can do it right. So I know this kinda sounds crazy but with the new CDI kit installed on the bike (phbg, kit, and no other modifications yet), and I'm running 41 on a slight downhill. that's essentially running a modified stock bike!!! I knew that people did this with Peugeot stockers but despite lots of tuning could never seem to get it right. I am guessing that somehow the old ignition system was somehow limiting the revs and therefore restricting me to 30 ish miles per hour. IDK but my speedo doesn't lie (I think ;)... so working on getting everything ready for the kit. decided to tear down the carb and intake and spent several hours polishing it with a dremel. not sure if that will help at all but hey im having fun with it and thats what this is about right?! I also went ahead and ordered a tachometer that i hooked up to the current setup and interestingly enough it seems to be reading around 12,000 rpm. that surprised me. is that in line with a stockish setup?

led.jpg
rectifier.jpg

So i have also been working on the electrical system. I bought some car led conversion bulbs and designed and 3d printed an adapter to mount them to the headlight. the headlight was the original CEV sealed beam headlight so I just cut the stem off the back, pulled all the filament out and am now able to slip the led in. I bought a 4 wire rectifier off amazon and am hooking that up. fingers crossed that everything will work as planned cause I'm a welder not an electrician. I only have a cloudy picture in my mind of how these parts work together. the rpm thing is kinda interesting though. I was playing with the pipe spreadsheet that is linked in the tuning wiki and found that with peek rpm being around 10,000 and .75 inch exhaust port diameter, I will get a really nice small pipe to work with.

More pics...

20200126_153552_compress26.jpg
20200126_153828_compress6.jpg
20200126_153655_compress31.jpg

A few more.

20200126_153627_compress17.jpg
20200126_153723_compress37.jpg
20200121_200421_compress28.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account