Shaw Derbi

todd amundson /

Had to take this apart because the trans side bearing had the crank spinning inside of it. Lots of travel up and down, side to side. Of course the crank is toast because it wore a nice hyper race surface in itself. I knew this was Shaw's Derbi which is on its third owner. Wanted to take a few shots of what he did.

IMG_0540.jpg

Daniel mentioned a crazy untunable cylinder recently that Shaw did. This is tunable I think but the intake window blows through the skirt a bit because it's giant. Has decomp hole drilled through it. Piston will hit decomp on start up and I think that crude divot was put in by the builder? I can't tell. Assembled without a gasket just yamabond. Lots of JB weld but only a little showing in the transfers. Crank had lube slot cut into small end. Aluminum base gasket with razor thin cereal box on either side. About 3 mm thick.

IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG

Re: Shaw Derbi

todd amundson /

There's a hole in the center of the photo.

IMG_0552.JPG

Decomp added

IMG_0545.JPG

I do this but have not done it with double ear clips

IMG_0555.JPG

todd amundson /
IMG_0550.JPG

Not sure which order but:

Go Derbi, Jesus Saves, Shaw

IMG_E0547.JPG
IMG_E0562.JPG

nice

Thanks for sharing! We have a Shaw 50/50 stock Puch cylinder that I have been meaning to do port-mapping and pictures for but have had no reason to pull the bike apart. One day. Bike is stupid fast with a 15SHA and bitturbo. It is nuts. And it has been running like that for 13? Years? Maybe more.

Wanna see that port map for sure

That intake is wild! Maybe I need to take another crack at that magnum jug...

RAD to see • Honest²

Kevin Bishop /

Is that a 1” pipe for an intake?

todd amundson /

no It’s metric so I’m pretty sure this is a 28mm header off something. The cool kicker is the decomp channel on the 47mm head is filled with maybe JB weld, then he ran the gases straight out the intake side of the jug rather than use the leaky trough out the exhaust.

9D2B631D-49E5-40B6-9DFE-FBCDED812B04.jpeg
C41BF1D0-9003-4EDB-BE1B-B445F04B21E1.jpeg

If the decomp hole is plugged with JB Weld , there shouldn't be any gasses going anywhere , other than normal 2T flow .

Maybe he tried re-routing decomp gasses to the intake prior to plugging the decomp ?

PD it still has a hole it just realease compression to the intake instead of going allllllll the way around the stupid ring in the head.

OK .

That's the second post I miss-read today . I better go back to bed . :(

That’s brilliant. The main reason why I took the euro kit off my derbi is because it was near impossible to start with out a decomp.

Starter shoes are the worst.

Pull start disc are the best

FUCK DECOMP

Id prefer to keep my pedals, but also a pull start would be cool?

Ed - Dead Possums /

Love to see his work. Being at Shaw's house I was a kid in a candy store! So much knowledge, and he loves to tell the stories of the good ol days.

Kevin Bishop /

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> no It’s metric so I’m pretty sure this is a 28mm header off something.

> The cool kicker is the decomp channel on the 47mm head is filled with

> maybe JB weld, then he ran the gases straight out the intake side of the

> jug rather than use the leaky trough out the exhaust.

Damn not far off from 1” probably 26mm ID then. Sounds like a seat post cutoff. I love repurposed parts.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account