Re: Peugeot 104/103 Airsal 70cc kit

I would get a new Piston and run it. I have ran kits MUCH worse than that.

How deep does that ridge feel?

You can also cleanup cast iron really well if you seize it. Worst case is getting it bored out but finding an oversized Piston can be fun. (edited)

Carraig Butler /

Pretty deep but I might be able to save it

> Carraig Butler Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Pretty deep but I might be able to save it

The only part that matters is above the exhaust port! Is doesn’t look that bad. If the piston is cheap enough I would buy it, run and tune the kit until it’s “perfect” then buy a new one.

It sounds like maybe you were running a 70cc kit with a pipe and a small bore single circuit, potentially under jetted, carb at low throttle which could lead to a lean mixture, less cooling (less airflow , less charge cooling), and less lubrication than ideal. Also, you put a bunch of miles on it with a massive airleak, most likely causing lean condition overheating damage.

If you got the highest quality kit money could buy, and all these things happened again, what do you think would happen?

What did your plug chops look like? at what jetting were you four stroking? What were your cylinder head temps?

Both the piston and cylinder are serviceable .

Clean the landings so the rings don't stick . Smooth the skirt and check piston to cylinder clearance . .002" is MIGHT be fine IF everything is perfect . It won't be and obviously wasn't .

I'd run about .004" clearance .

Big port airsal is a beast, no surprise it didn’t tune in easily. I would go for a 50cc kit if you’re looking to shed heat better, airsal 50cc is great.

Carraig Butler /

What speeds will I get with a 50 and my current setup?

Dunno, it’s all about how well you can tune. 40-45 is easy.

Carraig Butler /

That’s pretty much what I get stock. I think I’ll stay at 70 and make sure I got all the jetting and such right this time

Its Mph not kmh

Carraig Butler /

Yes mph so I feel a 50cc kit would do little to nothing

That is wrong, 50cc are faster. You may get a little bit more low end torque from the increase in displacement, but you don’t really need low rpm performance on a variated engine.

Carraig Butler /

so quick update, I just got the Malossi cast iron 70cc kit yesterday and installed it last night. the bike runs well arguably even better. I am still in the process of breaking it in and I only managed to put 14 miles on it today. I have also bought a trail tech clone from amazon so that I can monitor the temp, which helps A-LOT with tuning the jet properly. Thank you so much Arron for the recommendation!

Rich that thing up until it four strokes. Than come down. I always run a little rich for safety/lazyness.

Gotta linkypoo to that knockoff tt?

Carraig Butler /

I got you.

Runleader RL-TM004 Measuring 2...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6SJW8U/

The sensor it comes with is flat so you would need to gently bend it to fit in-between the fins. Bend it just enough at like a 60 degree angle to avoid snapping it. It comes with two so if you mess up it’s fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account