Re: Epic Vespa Thread

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I use an old Sjobergs woodworking bench for a few years. The dog wholes

> through the top work great for capturing crank-ends, and the large

> width, wooden tail-vices are great for hold cases upright.

One of these?

image.jpg

I use this all the time. Works great for holding cases and such.

@Les

I'll try to measure and post up tomorrow.

So I have a bit of a dilemma.

IMG_20200317_175450.jpg
IMG_20200317_175720.jpg

It only fits with the idle screw gone.

IMG_20200318_183143.jpg

Thinking about just using a hole saw and drilling it.

Also, maybe the center box would make a good airbox? Like a Hobbit?

I really want a custom sub.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Just pop a hole in the sub.

That's the reason I went Malossi RV vs. Polini Speed Case.

I wouldn't use that hole saw . Might weaken things too much .

The hole only has to be a little bigger than the screw head .

Or , maybe a bit less angle on the intake adapter ?

when i put SHAs on stock sachs i've cut the screw off and made it into a super short flathead, then dinged the threads a tiny bit for threadlocker

Dirty30 Dillon /

> P D Wrote:

> I wouldn't use that hole saw . Might weaken things too much .

>

> The hole only has to be a little bigger than the screw head .

>

> Or , maybe a bit less angle on the intake adapter ?

The whole needs to be big enough to accomodate engine sliding back and forth for belt tension.

And you can't change the angle on the spigot as it is already zero clearance between the carb body and cases

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Maybe cut the idle screw short like Graham suggested, and set it to where the slide is just barely open. Then just use the throttle bendy adjuster to play with the idle? Just to avoid cutting holes entirely? Or, maybe you could use a right angle screwdriver?

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I wouldn't use that hole saw . Might weaken things too much .

>

> >

>

> > The hole only has to be a little bigger than the screw head .

>

> >

>

> > Or , maybe a bit less angle on the intake adapter ?

>

> The whole needs to be big enough to accomodate engine sliding back and

> forth for belt tension.

>

> And you can't change the angle on the spigot as it is already zero

> clearance between the carb body and cases

In that case , I'd go with Graham's method of making a short screw ... no hole .

And , I wondered if there was any clearance , carb to case .

Thanks for the education . :)

u could epoxy that side(a little bit of tape on the inside makes it nice) and drill and tap the other spacious side of the carb.

Dirty30 Dillon /

A 1" whole isn't going to weaken your sub enough to cause issues.

And the shortened adjuster is fine, but then you have to adjust the carb off the bike? Seems like a lot to avoid just poppin a hole in there

Having done this. You want a hole there if you don't want to take your carb off a bunch just to get your idle right

I really appreciate all the advice! I think I figured out that I can pop the engine all the way forward to install the carb if I don't put in the bolts right away. I may end up drilling a hole for adjustment, but not as big. We'll see as I get to that stage (I'm nearly there.)

IMG_20200320_211250.jpg

I've been focusing on wiring for the last week. I built a whole new wiring harness from scratch. I changed the way it works, and upgraded. One big reason was that while the bike ran, I had no tail light or brake light. Now I do.

IMG_20200317_211629.jpg
IMG_20200319_234610_059.jpg

Also found this super cool GPS speedo that fits mopeds!

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

I was using the throttle cable adjustment as an idle adjuster on ciaociao for a while, then finally put in a hole for adjustment. It easy peasy and won't compromise your swingarm at all.

I jumped projects again because my garage is now full of stuff for house projects and mopeds got squeezed into a corner.

And my hubris got me.

IMG_20200328_184413.jpg

Got these awesome wheels from Will from the Netherlands.

IMG_20200328_194029.jpg

They're for Ciao so they have the offset brake plate. I thought I would just swap to the steel.

IMG_20200328_202103_891.jpg

Nope.

Turns out the springs are different.

IMG_20200328_193351.jpg

To accommodate a larger hub.

IMG_20200328_202103_892.jpg

Here is my Bravo rear fender wire fix tip: to open the rolled edge where the wire is tucked, use a 2 inch roofing nail.

IMG_20200401_205410.jpg
IMG_20200401_205414.jpg
IMG_20200401_205602.jpg

IMG_20200402_204949_295.jpg

It's so pretty.

IMG_20200402_182531.jpg

An interesting development.

IMG_20200411_140753.jpg

PSA:

Flywheel magnets may pick up tools when sitting on the bench. These tools will not make your bike run better when accidentally stuck inside the flywheel.

You're welcome.

I finally got my grande to fire. The rope on the Chinese pull start kept breaking. I replaced it with 11 strand paracord now it works perfectly. Here’s a video of it running I’m getting a ton of belt slap I’m going to add some rollers to help wit that.

> - Joe - Wrote:

> I’m getting a ton of belt slap

Maybe due to varied width of the belt along it's length .

Jbot did a thread on that subject and showed his solution .

Joe, that is a lot of belt slap. What belt is it?

Also, I broke my sister's crank. The tip just came off when I was putting on her new Polini. So I rebuilt her engine with a different stock crank.

While I was at it, I repainted her subframe, rewired the rear fender, swapped her wheels for nicer chrome with new tires, and made new wires for the engine harness.

Should be able to start it up soon.

IMG_20200412_184804.jpg

Here is a video with one of the Dutch guys running the same belt with the belt slap. He added a rollers to calm it down. I’m not sure if it’s a belt length issue, or weak contra spring, or the belt needs to be dressed to keep a consistent width.

80FECAB7-2C26-4C13-B76D-CCD5E505D570.jpeg

In a more recent post he’s only running a single roller on the top.

5424E9CE-C968-456E-A289-18A724A765C2.jpeg

Ah I see now. You guys are running the scooter clutches. That's interesting. Do you find it to perform much better than the moped ones?

Dirty30 Dillon /

That dude's running front and rear scooter gear, it seems. Possibly running a Sacre motor, I see LC lines.

Most regular Vespa builds wouldn't benefit from the bigger rear clutch and cheeks

> Ike Pipe Wrote:

> Ah I see now. You guys are running the scooter clutches. That's

> interesting. Do you find it to perform much better than the moped ones?

I haven’t really ridden this bike yet just down the street and back. I want to get the radiator on the bike before actually riding it since I don’t have a cooling fan. But it was pretty quick for the short ride I took with a ported 46 polini, ktm cdi, 15/15 sha, and Doppler spec pipe.

Here is that guys build thread, he’s using a custom set of cases and a scooter kit.

https://vespa-ciao.nl/forums/topic/freakz-si-perso/page/17/

Dirty30 Dillon /

The problem with running the scooter clutch is that if you run a front vespa moped variator, then you won't be able to run a wide enough belt to take advantage of the rear cheeks full height.

I plan to make a spacer for the variator to solve that problem. I’m trying to get the rest of the bike built then I’ll come back to that.

some kick ass stuff in here, I want to see more vespa carb mods! I experimented with those huge rear variator walls that treat land sold, and couldn't get much extra from them, I ground the insides a bit even so they could get closer/ further out, but the problem is the front variator. I had some ideas but I have forgot, I will have to pull out my notebooks.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account