Re: Epic Vespa Thread

Dirty30 Dillon /

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That is amazing 👏🏻

>

> Wish you did a thread for the whole process. I really love it.

Thanks man, and honestly I wish I did too.

This things followed me through three moves. I bought it so many years ago. Originally was a single speed, Malossi 43mm build. Was fun, but spun the brass bushing in the stock crank and decided to go variated and bigger displacement. The variation part was harder than anticipated as the stock Kinetic rear hub wasn't splined, it was a single Keyway. SO, I had to lace a Vespa rear hub up to it in order to accept the standard trans gear.

The project sat for a long time as a chassis while I put together the motor. and then it literally sat missing cables and a variator for a year.... The quarantiem motivated me to get on top of some of these old projects.

Thankfully, this one wasn't rushed, so I had actually built and checked everything methodically. Hence why it went together so easily.

It's variating about 8k rpm, which is right in the girth of the power for the Pinasco, but the flat band on the pipe means that it still pulls really hard between the 4k clutch stall and 7.5-8k variation. Really looking forward to getting some seat time on this in the next month. It would be nice to have a Ciao to daily again.

I am just digging those giant rims.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Can't wait to see that thing on a ride

Just a pretty picture of Grande to keep me motivated.

20180622_174556.jpg

I did a little variator tuning on my dads si, 3 3g and 3 4g in a modded gy6 variator it’s pulling hills strong now.

1497538F-65DB-4860-A1EE-59D55BE67A8C.jpeg

Beautiful bike, Joe! Love the side bags!

I started teaching myself to do needle valves again.

Start with an old stock jet. Vespa 12.10 came with 45 so I have several. Drill a 1/8 inch hole through the center.

IMG_20200522_215125.jpg

I used map gas the first time, but I wanted to see if I could use the soldering pen. Basically, I put a 1/8 inch copper tube through the jet and then solder it in place. It worked, I'm pleased to say.

IMG_20200522_215850.jpg

So that's as far as I got today. Next time I'm in the shop, I will do the float bowl and needle valve mount.

IMG_20200522_222244.jpg

I gotta get me one of them needle jets

I was able to get the rad setup mounted and filled. Running a thermosiphon setup with no water pump it seems to be working. The top of the rad was getting hot while the bottom was significantly cooler. The first run up the street was lean with a 90 jet I put the biggest I had in at a 98 it was better but still lean. I ordered some bigger ones from dos hopefully they will help.

A4376C94-5943-407B-92AF-592A0E967B31.jpeg

nice

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Man I am really thinking about adding a needle jet to my carb. Today was a good day for me, I temporarily swapped over my variated stuff over to my bravo, as well as testing out something stupid. I am now running my bravo on E85 with 30:1 premix for safety. I currently have a 60 jet in it, which is too lean, since you want to jet about 25% up, and I also have the finger ports and no filter. It doesn't make any more noticiable power, maybe less than before, but this should let me play with the timing and maybe raise the compression a decent amount, I just have to find/make a good head. I would be worried about the ethanol eating through the crank seal, but I will be rebuilding this engine shortly with my antipatico crank and some more porting. I dunno what my plan is really, just trying to go fast with the stock cylinder. Not shooting for any specific number like 50/50

Also theres no smell like a 2 stroke on e85. I wouldn't call it good, but its not bad

> Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F Wrote:

> Also theres no smell like a 2 stroke on e85. I wouldn't call it good,

> but its not bad

Interesting . I wonder if you can make it smell like a well seasoned grill .

And , next you'll be running white lightening with a 15>1 mix ? LOL

Put a 78 jet in, runs much better, but temps are very high it feels, which confuses me a little bit, since e85 is supposed to run cooler, but my jetting may be wrong. No 4 stroking, but I think the timing needs to be adjusted for the fuel, maybe that’s causting the high temps

Dirty30 Dillon /

What temps are you seeing?

I don’t have a temp meter, just going off of feel. Normally going up and down my street, about an 1/8th mile, the head will be hot, but not insane: now, the heat is extreme, taking about 20 minutes for the head to cool down. Maybe it’s another air leak, I’ve been having trouble with the head sealing

Dirty30 Dillon /

> I don’t have a temp meter, just going off of feel. Normally going up and

> down my street, about an 1/8th mile, the head will be hot, but not

> insane: now, the heat is extreme, taking about 20 minutes for the head

> to cool down. Maybe it’s another air leak, I’ve been having trouble with

> the head sealing

There is honestly no way you can possibly reference CHT without a sensor. In this casez it's probably much more important so you can whether the E85 is properly combusting.

It's a small investment to avoid roasting shit.

Yeah I think I am going to buy one

> Put a 78 jet in, runs much better,

whoa, 78 is huge for the baby sha, somethings letting in alotta air especially if you ain't four stroking. my guess carb shim

The e85 does require a very large jet, 25%-35% larger than stock, and its a grande engine which came with a 49 I think, so stock with e85 I would need around a 66, so with the open finger ports it makes sense that mid 70's would run well, but there is an airleak somewhere. I'm 90% sure its the head, I can't get it to seal just by lapping it, so some are on the way

E85 is an interesting idea. I was just reading about it on the government website. Apparently it is supposed to improve performance despite the fact that it has a lower energy content. It also has less mileage for the same reason.

I'm not sure I understand how less energy and less efficiency translates to better performance.

It doesn't make more power, and it gets much worse mileage. But what it does let you do is run very high compression and advance the timing a decent amount, as well as keeping temps lower. I have found it difficult to work with, since it absorbs water over time so Im only buying a gallon at a time in my jerrycan. Also I have to shake the tank before starting, since over time it slowly seperates from the oil. I am just messing around having some fun, I have always wanted a very high compression bike

I wonder how much compression you could get out of a Vespa motor. I decked the cylinder on my ciao and cut the head back to tighten the squish band. I’m not sure how much it increased the compression.

BA6E73D1-A6A2-4818-9629-75FA39A290BB.jpeg
A0454220-FE3D-4D9F-A800-E8C1803CA0B1.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's sad that all the US Vespa motors were so bodged in there port timings to meet go restrictions.

Stock Euro market, especially the PX and on, were super lively stock top ends that had a proper tolerance to the squish.

Yeah at first I am going to try what you did, with the deck milled to the crown of the piston at TDC, as well as using a ciao head. Even with the smaller head than the offset plug one Im running now, If I deck the complete lip of the head off, I would still have a fairly large squish gap and not as high as compression Im looking for, just because of the decomp hole and the dome with the sparkplug hole. Using the tormach at makerworks, I may try to make a cylinder head with the charecteristics I want

Got my carb ready. Get the throttle cable finished up and I'm ready to install the engine!

IMG_20200525_123316.jpg

Out for a ride with my wife. Bike ran great... And looks great. She's happy, and I'm happy.

IMG_20200526_201914.jpg

Just got a ciao! It’s really clean and I got it to run within 30 mins. The engine was seized, but some wd40, a wrench on the clutch and some 2 stroke oil freed it up. It’s a nice stock bike, but I may do some light porting to make it a little bit faster, like cutting the piston to expose the exhaust port, and maybe some semi fingers that you see on other Vespa kits. I’ll be letting my brother use it over summer, he will be working in a flower farm so I can’t think of a better bike lol

38C7EF4F-74BF-457F-9274-1838CC566FDF.jpeg

> Ike Pipe Wrote:

> Got my carb ready. Get the throttle cable finished up and I'm ready to

> install the engine!

> >

Woah, does that go with a reed valve?

> discontinuuity _ Wrote:

> > Ike Pipe Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Got my carb ready. Get the throttle cable finished up and I'm ready to

>

> > install the engine!

>

> > >

>

> Woah, does that go with a reed valve?

Nope. Speed cases and a Mazzuchelli. Should be pretty quick despite being a Vespa.

IMG_20200528_165711.jpg

This sweet ride had been stripped and hung, but I've added parts to make it a roller for some upcoming insanity.

A friend is making a trailer for it to pull, and I found some silly wheels to put on it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account