Re: Crazy Custom Frame Hobbit

I wouldn’t say a lot, considering he’s going to be building a frame and drive train, bolting up a radiator and a water pump seem pretty easy.

jbot are those bicycle bars? i've wanted bars like this on my bike since i built it, and now seeing it only reinforces that idea

These are very old 50s bicycle bars.

My other pinto converted to French style bike has similar bars from a huffy cruiser. Not as good looking but they work.

I do wish more folks would try bars like this. It's really fun to ride like they did back in the olden times. And on this bike, if I'm in very windy conditions, I can push my knees into my forearms and make the bike crazy stable. Only issue is sharp turning, but throwing out a knee is pretty baller

Other bikes bars. The MINTHO.

(Moby/pinto/hobbit)

IMG_7468.JPG

I still lived in MI when Joe was building his hobbit. Was fucking rad to sit and watch him build, create his own parts, test shit. Fuck, riding it was tight!

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some perspective.

>

> This is 22in to the center of bars

>

> But only 15in to the center of grips.

>

> It's awesome to ride but on turns I push the knee way out and fall into

> the turn. Works great just takes time to get used to.

>

> I tried a mostly straight bars on this and wanted to die.

>

> The pullback bars are basically parallel with the tank, it saved this

> build, liked it so much I did a tube frame moby style build like it.

> It's super unusual but it works for me

> >

I might be a bad tuner but dam is my building style way more clean and modern.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> I might be a bad tuner but dam is my building style way more clean and

> modern.

Capture.PNG

CLEAN

MODERN

Siccc

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> >

>

> > >

>

> modern

cLeAn aNd moDerN

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> cLeAn aNd moDerN

> >

Orange one is done so you can hate on it all you want! White one still needs some work same with the maxi.

Naw like I don't get the gas tank or the rad attached to the forks. Do those forks get heavy? How do you Turn with the hoses? I personally do not like the bars. a lot of un-necessary clunky items on the bike. Simplicity, less is more. You could clean the bike up but I don't think that's your style.

I bet it rips dicks off!

Jbot is on a 1935 board track race bike. While I'm ether riding a maxi that looks like an ugly ass race maxi with fiber glass fairings or my stripped down scooters from the early 90s.

Moder styling is tasteless.

If you want some more photos of the scooters il post them, I should have the crossover maxi done by the summer.

Why you hatin on my scooter builds? I thought this was a moped website

Rocco,

You’re an idiot, next time you think you have something important to say shut the fuck up. This isn’t a thread for you to prove you’re a better builder than jbot; take that shit somewhere else.

Your builds are garbage and are devoid of any semblance of taste or modernness.

Jbots bikes rip and he is a rad dude. Your bikes suck and you’re a douchebag.

/threadjack(edited)

Lol, how do I turn with the hoses?

ITS ALL GODS WILL (my god has a wolf head and it's on a giant crab body FYI)

and a quick note, everything on my bikes are used. Nothing is added that is not used. My bikes aren't a Cracker Barrel wall. I'd tell you every lil device I have added but what would be the point? You're just mad I called ya out for running a scooter with no shroud or fan which is stupid as fuck. But sadly your insults aren't landing, and it just makes you look like a pathetic lil bitch boy. So let's just stop and get back to the thread at hand.

IMG_7357.JPG

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Rocco,

>

> You’re an idiot, next time you think you have something important to say

> shut the fuck up. This isn’t a thread for you to prove you’re a better

> builder than jbot; take that shit somewhere else.

>

> Your builds are garbage and are devoid of any semblance of taste or

> modernness.

>

> Jbots bikes rip and he is a rad dude. Your bikes suck and you’re a

> douchebag.

>

> /threadjack

Naw I never said I was better builder and I clearly stated that jbot bikes rip dicks.

But okay

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Lol, how do I turn with the hoses?

>

> ITS ALL GODS WILL (my god has a wolf head and it's on a giant crab body

> FYI)

>

> and a quick note, everything on my bikes are used. Nothing is added that

> is not used. My bikes aren't a Cracker Barrel wall. I'd tell you every

> lil device I have added but what would be the point? You're just mad I

> called ya out for running a scooter with no shroud or fan which is

> stupid as fuck. But sadly your insults aren't landing, and it just

> makes you look like a pathetic lil bitch boy. So let's just stop and get

> back to the thread at hand.

> >

you didnt call me out for not running a fan or ducting I actually told you lol but okay

We have to make this site more open, fuck it Ill say my bikes run like shit. this idea will bring a lot of new people in. People are to worried to be shamed for haveing a bad running bike and turns them away.

Do not be discouraged by someone ideas on looks that is a personal opinion unlike a bad running bike lmao

> Chicken Finger Wrote:

> modern.

OH NO HE DINT!

fucked your thread right there, no coming back from that mistake

Soooo not to derail the thread at all, but the build is officially started! Jig is together and the chromoly should arrive this week!

Biggest challenge I'm running into at this point is figuring out how to clear the gearbox with the intake. I'm going to be going straight up, so essentially flipping around the stock intake. I don't have all the parts in as of yet, but once they arrive I'll be taking a look to see how easy it'll be to just "flip things over" - my guess is that it won't work out that well, but fingers crossed.

Daniel recommended going with V-Force reeds, and initially my reaction was that it was a bit $$ for the initial build - a year down the road once I get some good rides on the bike it seems like a solid upgrade. HOWEVER, I'm realizing now that the stock reed block depends on the angle of the intake, so I may end up needing to revisit my approach.

The machinist is going to press out the spline from the wheel and we're going to press it into a mount for the front sprocket. Depending on how the rear wheel lines up with the engine, I will be putting the bearing on either the inside or outside of the sprocket on the shaft it rides on.

what wall thickness tubing are you using?

.83" thickness, 7/8" tube

I'm into Hodakas, and VanTechs etc by association, so I dig the lines. It will be cool to see how you execute the design!

It seems like your machinist friend is a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, which I can appreciate.

i think Vantech's were 3/4" .083, with some 1" peppered in, but i don't think they were chromoly. Don't know if they were even DOM.

with chromoly at .875 dia., I bet .065 thick would certainly be sufficient. even at .750 dia.

Yetman competition frames used something like .035-.049 DOM and the street versions were .049-.065. small diameter stuff too.

then again, those were for high output motocrossers and road racers.

Personally, if i was building an initial concept of an around-towner of similar design, I would probably use .750" x .065" HREW because of the cost. DOM once confident with the design and for peace of mind. I wouldn't start thinking about chromoly until i was concerned with weight or stiffness in a competition environment.

To be explicit here, I'm not shitting on your plan, you are just fueling my desire to think about this stuff a bit more. so, thank you - keep up the good work.

what are you doing for a frame jig?

sick of not having one - planning on a hybrid of these two:

http://didis-welt.com/jolly/downloads/rahmenlehre.pdf

https://www.chopsource.com/frame-jigs.html

Hey! Yeah, this is definitely a thoroughly over-engineered type of build, but I want this to be an everyday rider in a city with a TON of potholes. Plus I like the ability to hop curbs to get around traffic if necessary. He did the math and upping the size/wall thickness added about 3lb to the whole build.

Honestly for the build and what I'm looking at the metal is about 1/5 of the cost of the labor for bending and welding, and I'm looking to end up with a bike (or at least a frame) that can do anything I want it to.

I think the biggest fear at this point is that I end up with a bike that maybe doesn't have an engine that stands up to the frame - not enough power, and ends up feeling sluggish and boring. However, that's the beauty of a kit frame like this - I should be able to upgrade the kit (I'm starting with the Malossi kit), or throw in a small motorcycle engine, and make it fit what I'm hoping for!

Dirty30 Dillon /

I think that you will find the layout of this frame and seating position to be very ill-suited to skipping curbs and fast, tight city maneuvering. I understand the aesthetic inspiration, but the bike you're drawing from were not meant to be traffic-ridden bikes and the ergonomics follow as thus.

Either way, listen to Andy. He is an immense source of knowlege.

Also, HI ANDY

Oh yeah I know - I used to have a cafe racer styled cb175, and honestly loved the ergonomics of it, and I based this build off the cb175 frame. If I hate it I can always shorten the tank and raise the bars, and the top of the frame is set in such a way that seat thickness should be able to put me wherever I want to end up!

Who's Andy?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Colin Ratcliff Wrote:

> Who's Andy?

jumpsuitsteve above.

He knows his stuff as he's been racing and building small to large displacement bikes for awhile now.

Ahhh word!

Biggest challenge I'm running into at this point is the reed spacer. With the angle I'm setting the engine at, as well as the positioning of the gearbox, I need the carb to be straight behind the engine, or ideally slightly angled up. The stock reeds definitely won't work, as they need the flow to be coming from what would be the bottom of the engine. As such I'm going to get the v force reeds. Looking at the options for the spacers, they all angle somewhat downwards (which makes sense for the stock engine), so I'll probably need to make my own. Has anybody done this, and do you have any advice?

Barack Obama /

I thought of a good idea last night in a dream! To keep it simple just cut, shorten and weld the subframe.

That was easy

Love it - definitely doing that!

I'm still playing with some options for the drive - I believe the Hobbit is 12.5/1 ratio for the drive. I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow skip out on the Hobbit gearbox and just do rear variator on a jack shaft with sprockets creating the ratio. Best I can get from Puch sprockets as far as I can tell is 5.45/1 ratio with 60 tooth rear sprocket and 11 tooth front, which seems way too low. Thoughts? This thing will have quite the kit, but I feel like that won't be very fun to ride.

Barack Obama /

> Colin Ratcliff Wrote:

> Love it - definitely doing that!

>

> https://media.giphy.com/media/dJEMs13SrsiuA/giphy.gif

Good because bitch boy country boy thought of it :)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account