Pug/Moby Le Partie Timing

I always run at 1.1mm before tdc, but ive been reading some old threads claiming that is to extreme?

What are you running? Whats your set up?

Re: Pug/Moby Le Partie Timing

Richard Eberline /

1.2mm is what I run, Airsal 74cc or 47mm.

1.2 BTDC to start then adjust based on heat. Soooo it is usually ends up 0.9-1-2 BTDC

1.1 is a good place to start for kitted bikes, with static timing you won’t be able to run much more advance without overheating. On a polini w port engine I had for a bit, it timed suuuuper conservative and one time i pulled up to a stop light and everything is fine, then when I went to take off it had started running backwards and I rear ended myself on the car behind me. Shut it off and restarted and it was totally good again. Spooky!!

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 1.1 is a good place to start for kitted bikes, with static timing you

> won’t be able to run much more advance without overheating. On a polini

> w port engine I had for a bit, it timed suuuuper conservative and one

> time i pulled up to a stop light and everything is fine, then when I

> went to take off it had started running backwards and I rear ended

> myself on the car behind me. Shut it off and restarted and it was

> totally good again. Spooky!!

That is amazing, I’ve only seen one bike run backwards, someone installed a Pietcard backwards on an e50, he racked himself on the forks/bars

Anyhow to your point of static timing, as the stock Le Partie boxes are. All my 103’s besides my “stock-ish” bike are liquid cooled, I’m changing it to a Doppler thanks to the treats sale. I also picked up one of the replacement Le Partie boxes that has a curve, I’m gonna give it a try on this motor

I would still time it for 1mm at max rpm, I’m not sure what the curve of the box you got is. I actually prefer static timing on hot single variated bikes as you don’t need the advance with a clutch pulley and variator doing all the work to keep you at xxxx rpm.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> I would still time it for 1mm at max rpm, I’m not sure what the curve of

> the box you got is. I actually prefer static timing on hot single

> variated bikes as you don’t need the advance with a clutch pulley and

> variator doing all the work to keep you at xxxx rpm.

On a v1 the curve on the 2041 boxes is a life saver, so I figured why not? Guess we’ll find out!

I still don't understand how curved timing boxes haven't become the standard throughout mopeds yet and especially on French bikes, it seems so basic for such a huge performance payoff vs. the static timing boxes yet very few people seem to use them, but I digress.

I run my 50cc Doppler setup at ~1.8mm btdc static (iirc) which is ~1.2mm on the curve. (edited)

> Jarod V. Wrote:

> I still don't understand how curved timing boxes haven't become the

> standard throughout mopeds yet and especially on French bikes, it seems

> so basic for such a huge performance payoff vs. the static timing boxes

> yet very few people seem to use them, but I digress.

>

> I run my 50cc Doppler setup at ~1.8mm btdc static (iirc) which is ~1.2mm

> on the curve.

what box are you running for that curve

and excuse my ignorance but for clarification, the 1.8 is more advanced for more heat in the low rpms, aka to spin the motor up faster, then the curve retards to 1.2 to run cooler in the high rpm's yes?

Yes and that's what I do too.

but fuck using mm.

Degrees btdc ftw.

Haven't found a bike yet that doesn't like at least 23deg initial then retarding down to 18deg at wot. As long as you have enough cooling you're golden. Wc heads or good wicking standard AC heads with a good combustion chamber and squish.

BUT...,if you're a member of the 12k or higher rpm all the time club you might wanna drop that down a bit, to your taste

what box are you running to get the curve? parmakit box?

Pretty much any 5 wire box will work. Jog, scrappy dog, am6, ect.

Love my a3202 boxes.

Never had one die ever

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account