1978 Concord XKE Minarelli V1 Build

Hello! I’ve been working on this moped for 2 years and finally decided to start a build thread. I enjoy reading through all the builds on here and they’ve helped me a great deal so maybe somebody might learn from all the mistakes I’ve made over the last 2 years. I also thought it would be easier to just ask questions from a build page so you can see a quick history of the bike right where I ask the question (Cause now that the engine is apart I have a whole lotta questions coming).

This is my first moped, I bought it at an online estate sale auction in November 2017. When I picked it up the first issue I found was that it was seized. Instead of replacing it with a stock cylinder I got the 80cc Polini and a SHA 15.15. I put that on and still couldn’t get it started. I read through the forums and tinkered with it a little and realized the stock exhaust was completely rusted shut. I took it off and put an airline on one end and my finger on the other and no air was going through it. So then I kicked the pedal and the motor started with no exhaust. I put a MLM People’s Sidebleed pipe on and took it for a ride up the street. I rode about 1/2 mile and that was good enough for me. I tore the ped down to the frame and started to rebuild/replace everything.

My original intention was to put it on the back of my RV so when I painted the RV I painted the moped frame beige to match. Everything was completely rusted out so I wanted to just replace it all.

Updates Include:

-EBR Maxi Forks

-New Chain

-Seat from S-Co Kustoms on Etsy

-Heidenau K52 tires

-Treats brake pads

-Treats clutch shoes/springs

-Trail Tech Temp gauge

-Black rims from Treats but original spokes/nipples/hubs

-New Headlight

-cafe style handlebars

-ebay grips

-all new cables

-super stuffy crank

-new output shaft

-new starter plate/springs

-new rear shocks

-new headset

-Treats engine rebuild kit (bearings, seals, gaskets)

...and maybe a few more odds and ends.

The gear ratio is 11 x 44 (I think, I haven't counted the back sprocket yet though).

The SHA 15.15 came with a 68 jet but I haven't upjetted yet. I have 70-90's to try.

The seat isn't attached yet, it's just sitting on the frame in the photos. I haven't decided if I want it up front above the old seat post or all the way back.

Before Photo:

Current Photo:

Re: 1978 Concord XKE Minarelli V1 Build

My first major question is about the engine cases. The original case had a huge hold blasted through it by the chain. Instead of having it welded I got a used case from Treats. When I took it apart I noticed a few differences. The serial number is in a different spot, the starter clutch adjuster mounts differently and the major issue: the stator plate mounts differently. My engine has two holes that are close together and the new/used case has 3 holes that are spread far apart.

Is there a retro fit plate that will allow me to use my old stator or do I have to get what ever one fits that case? Is it even worth figuring out or should I just find a case with a matching stator mount?

Also, do any of you know if more problems will arise from using this other case? Anybody ever switched cases on a V1 before? For example, will things be shimmed differently? Thanks!

Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong but you can run that case with that hole in it, it's just external right? Nobody's ever gonna see that anyway

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong but you can run that case with

> that hole in it, it's just external right? Nobody's ever gonna see that

> anyway

It seems to me that^ should work .

I'd 'cap' or otherwise seal that hole to help keep the stator clean .

> P D Wrote:

> > Nick Haber Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong but you can run that case with

>

> > that hole in it, it's just external right? Nobody's ever gonna see

> that

>

> > anyway

>

> It seems to me that^ should work .

>

> I'd 'cap' or otherwise seal that hole to help keep the stator clean .

Yeah it works with the hole but I'm just worried about all the debris and grime the chain was throwing on the stator.

> Joe K Wrote:

> Yeah it works with the hole but I'm just worried about all the debris

> and grime the chain was throwing on the stator.

>

Exactly why I suggested to cap or seal the hole .

With the help of tape , I've used JB Weld to patch chunks out of a radius similar to your case . It may not be as strong as original , but , definitely strong enough to keep things clean and dry .

to make the new case half work, cant u just drill out holes on the old stator plate? or get a stator 3 hole stator plate and switch your internals, or get a complete 3 hole stator plater plate with internals.

> pat splat Wrote:

> to make the new case half work, cant u just drill out holes on the old

> stator plate? or get a stator 3 hole stator plate and switch your

> internals, or get a complete 3 hole stator plater plate with internals.

It's hard to take a good photo but the 2-hole stator is smaller than the 3-hole so nothing lines up right. I would put my internals on a 3-hole plate if possible but I don't know enough about it to know if that's an option, or where to buy a 3-hole plate. If I have to replace the whole stator than I'd probably just upgrade to a CDI but I don't really want to spend all that money. And it looks like the CDI on Treats is the smaller 2-hole size anyway. I also just noticed that the used case from Treats also doesnt have one of the mounting holes for the plastic cover.

I think I'm either going to fill the hole in the old case or try to find another used one with mounts for the 2 hole. The case was only $40 so I think at this point I'd rather just sell it and spend another $40 on the right one; rather than buying a new stator or confusing myself with HPI CDI right now.

IMG_7870.jpg
IMG_78722.jpg

yeah, the fan base has different mounting holes as well,annoying. at this point id take a piece of sheet aluminum bend it, goo it and pop rivit it onto that hole.

Update: I ended up dropping the old case off at a welder friends shop and he slopped some aluminum in the hole and filled it up. I had to mill it down a bit so the stator would sit flat and also for clearance for one of the case bolts. It seems like it will hold up almost as good as the original and it was free. Now I have an extra case though that I will probably post in the F/S section for like $50 shipped.

I had pretty much everything back together but when I got to the clutch I realized that the new crank has a bigger nut on the clutch size than stock. Now I have to order a left handed nut for that and then hopefully this thing will finally be back together!

nice pictures.

is that replacement case for the air cooled? like V1H or whatever? I'm dont know minarelli too well.

also the old metal cover ones had 3 fan cover bolts vs the plastic ones were 4 I think

oh yea the early vee ones had the bigger stator, same flywheel.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Yeah that's using the 96mm stator (or 92mm?)

Same as Carabelas.

I think

i looked over on myrons, the definitive source for basically everything. theres a 94mm stator and an 80mm stator both using the 80mm flywheel,

CEV 6876 Ø94 stator, Ø80 flywheel (V1 early)

CEV 6932 Ø80 stator, Ø80 flywheel (V1 USA)

Bosch 0212-010-005 Ø80 stator, Ø80 flywheel (V1-H and V1-L)

Thanks for all the info! It seems like this older version is less desirable because of the larger stator. I just saw a CDI review on Treats that says the mounting points are there for both stators and you just have to drill them out if you have the case with the large stator but that isn't true. The old 3-hole style doesn't have the mounting points for the 2-hole style but the newer 2-hole style has the mounting points for the 3-hole stator which actually wouldn't help if you got the CDI because it uses the smaller 2-hole style.

I didn't see much on here for a DIY Trail Temp mount that hid the wires on the back. I just grabbed some scrap steel and made a housing for it in my shop. I cut a piece of 2x3 square tube and welded a cap on the back. I ground the weld off with an angle grinder. I drilled a hole in the side for the horn button. The faceplate is stainless and has a spot for the gauge, a light switch and a kill switch. I got the buttons from Amazon. I'm either gonna paint it beige to match the frame, gloss black or maybe just polish it.

Nicely done , clean , protected . I like it . :) (edited)

> P D Wrote:

> Nicely done , clean , protected . I like it . :)

Thanks!

I still need a tail light for this thing. The stock coil is 6 volt right? So do I need a 6-volt tail light or will a 12-volt LED tail light with other minor electrical mods work? I don’t know much about electrical. I was thinking a small light like this one on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152955878364

I’m planning on making a small bracket that holds the tail light and license plate.

Almost done, just need to wire the entire thing...

Looks good to me . I like the color scheme . :)

Damn, this looks amazing!! Love to see your work on the DIY dash/mount for the gauge & buttons; really sick.

fucking siiiick i love the way this turned out, some real fgreat details like the way that seat wraps the light and the light dips under the rack loop, it just all fits really nicely. killer stuff!

also i love the xke frame in general so - hell yeah

> Robert Burns Wrote:

> Damn, this looks amazing!! Love to see your work on the DIY dash/mount

> for the gauge & buttons; really sick.

Thanks! I started the build thread kinda late in the process but you can see more detail on road-haus.com

> P D Wrote:

> Looks good to me . I like the color scheme . :)

Thanks! I painted it to match my RV (the next project I need to finish).

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> fucking siiiick i love the way this turned out, some real fgreat details

> like the way that seat wraps the light and the light dips under the rack

> loop, it just all fits really nicely. killer stuff!

>

> also i love the xke frame in general so - hell yeah

Thanks! I've been following your thread with the electric assist wheel. I noticed that was a Concorde frame too LOL.

I see that you're in Cleveland too, I'm finishing up the wiring this week and I might need some help with the tuning and timing when I get it all done. I'd pay you for your time if you are willing to help me with it at some point.

> Joe K Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

>

> > Looks good to me . I like the color scheme . :)

>

> Thanks! I painted it to match my RV (the next project I need to finish).

Good idea .

None of my bikes match our RV .

My FA50 is parked in front , See how it doesn't match ? LOL

> P D Wrote:

> > Joe K Wrote:

>

>

> > > P D Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Looks good to me . I like the color scheme . :)

>

> >

>

> > Thanks! I painted it to match my RV (the next project I need to

> finish).

>

> Good idea .

>

> None of my bikes match our RV .

>

> https://i.postimg.cc/B6VvPzg9/screenshot-61.png

>

> My FA50 is parked in front , See how it doesn't match ? LOL

Here's mine (both without engines LOL)

IMG_7636.jpg

Looks like maybe you have a little work to do on that RV . LOL

I got it wired but it won't start. It has spark and seems to be getting gas (plug is wet and there was some fuel in the air filter). When I rebuilt the engine I had to take the stator off and clean it because the engine case had a hole in it and the stator was covered in gunk. If the timing is way off will that cause it to not start at all??

I've searched a bunch of threads "v1 has spark but won't start" and none of them are resolved so I don't know if any of these other people found a solution. Some mention the jet is too high, what is a good jet size to start with for a Sha15.15 on this V1 polini? I have sizes 68-90 I think. Also it has the MLM 15mm intake. Pretty much everything is brand new, the kit has like a 1/2 mile test run on it from before I rebuilt the bottom end.

All the new wiring seems correct, when I push the kill button there's no spark, if I hold the horn button while pedaling with the clutch lever pulled the horn works. If I have the light button on while I am trying to start it the headlight and tail light both light up dim so that probably means the wiring is good? I also tried removing the blue and black wires directly and grounding them to avoid the safety kill and it still sparks but won't start.

Any suggestions? If it's the timing is there anyone in Cleveland that would be able to help time it? Thanks!!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account