Hello! I’ve been working on this moped for 2 years and finally decided to start a build thread. I enjoy reading through all the builds on here and they’ve helped me a great deal so maybe somebody might learn from all the mistakes I’ve made over the last 2 years. I also thought it would be easier to just ask questions from a build page so you can see a quick history of the bike right where I ask the question (Cause now that the engine is apart I have a whole lotta questions coming).
This is my first moped, I bought it at an online estate sale auction in November 2017. When I picked it up the first issue I found was that it was seized. Instead of replacing it with a stock cylinder I got the 80cc Polini and a SHA 15.15. I put that on and still couldn’t get it started. I read through the forums and tinkered with it a little and realized the stock exhaust was completely rusted shut. I took it off and put an airline on one end and my finger on the other and no air was going through it. So then I kicked the pedal and the motor started with no exhaust. I put a MLM People’s Sidebleed pipe on and took it for a ride up the street. I rode about 1/2 mile and that was good enough for me. I tore the ped down to the frame and started to rebuild/replace everything.
My original intention was to put it on the back of my RV so when I painted the RV I painted the moped frame beige to match. Everything was completely rusted out so I wanted to just replace it all.
-EBR Maxi Forks
-Seat from S-Co Kustoms on Etsy
-Heidenau K52 tires
-Treats brake pads
-Treats clutch shoes/springs
-Trail Tech Temp gauge
-Black rims from Treats but original spokes/nipples/hubs
-cafe style handlebars
-all new cables
-super stuffy crank
-new output shaft
-new starter plate/springs
-new rear shocks
-Treats engine rebuild kit (bearings, seals, gaskets)
...and maybe a few more odds and ends.
The gear ratio is 11 x 44 (I think, I haven't counted the back sprocket yet though).
The SHA 15.15 came with a 68 jet but I haven't upjetted yet. I have 70-90's to try.
The seat isn't attached yet, it's just sitting on the frame in the photos. I haven't decided if I want it up front above the old seat post or all the way back.