Re: 1978 Concord XKE Minarelli V1 Build

If timing is too far off , it will not start .

Get it timed , then think about the carb .

In case you don't already have it , here's the service manual :

https://martysgarage.info/manuals/minarelliservice.pdf

Page 33 Timing .

Ok now I got the point gap and timing set exactly how the manual says. I put the 68 jet back in the carb and it still won't start. What else should I be looking for in the carb? How does the choke work? When I click it on I don't see a way to shut it off. Does it automatically shut off somehow?

If the condenser was bad in the stator would it still get a little spark?

This morning I hooked the old tail light back up to see if it wasn’t working because of that resistor but that still didn’t help. The light lights up as I pedal so it seems to be wired correctly. Anybody have any other suggestions? I’m going to check it with a timing light after lunch and maybe try some starting fluid.

Make sure you have fresh gas. Might sound like a stupid response, but I've had bikes that just wouldn't start, put brand new fuel in and they fired right up.

When you go full throttle on the stand the choke will pop off. Or should? I always choke it, kick over and when it starts, blip the throttle wide open and choke will disengage (edited)

I haven't run it in 2 years so I took the old gas can to my parents house and poured it in their leaf blower a few days ago lol. So I bought new premium gas the other day so it is definitely fresh.

I thought that was how the choke worked when I first got it but I couldn't remember. It did used to pop off when you gave it throttle. It doesn't do that now, does that mean I'm missed a piece internally when I put the new throttle cable on?

I also tried the starting fluid today and it didn't work. My timing light doesn't seem to be working so I haven't checked that yet.

I measured the copper ring for the temp sensor and it is 1.1mm thick and I measured the old washer on the spark plug and it was 1.6mm so I put the old washer back on since it would space the spark plug different. That didn't work either.

I tried cranking it with a drill too and the spark seemed intermittent. The HT coil is brand new but I decided to order another one in case that was faulty out of the box. I also ordered a new condenser and a voltage regulator for the lights.

I also checked compression, looks good I think?

F8BCCCAD-E8A1-4A79-B934-E95A9E9ED896.jpeg

Compression is fine. I always got a few of these guys lying around. Most auto parts stores have them.

Screenshot_20200403-193709_Samsung Internet.jpg

Note that a spark tester does not tell you if the plug itself is good .

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Note that a spark tester does not tell you if the plug itself is good .

Yep, good advice. Use a new plug.

I got that spark plug checker but it's for regular car plugs and i don't have any adapters so i didn't use it. Here's some video of the spark. It looks weak and intermittent right??

Also, I noticed one of the plastic fins is broken on one of the internal coils (I think the ignition coil). Will that missing plastic piece cause weak spark for some reason? (one photo shows the side with the tab and one photo shows the side where it's missing.)

As long as the coil wire isn't touching a ground , it should be OK .

That plug gap looks realy close to the electrode? Spark dont look terrible man? May be a fuel issue. (edited)

Time it with a degree wheel, or mike the piston at TDC, and turn backwards to spec. Then you mark case and flywheel. (where you can aim a timing light. Reassemble, and see how far off you are.

I'm 90% sure the timing and point gap is good at this point. I tried to check it with my timing gun but it wasn't working. So I used that spark plug tester mentioned above and once the plug is in the cylinder it is rarely getting spark. Then I found another thread that said:

"I found that testing spark by grounding the plug and watching it doesn't necessarily prove that you are getting sufficient spark. I say that because I was doing the same exact thing. I'd bought a brand new condenser, and a brand new HT coil, brand new points. Fixed every single possible air leak, and still couldn't get the engine to run. Long story short, the new HT coil I bought was bad. I should have figured it out sooner because I tested the spark with an ignition tester and it didn't allow for a very long gap.

See, to spark at 1 atmosphere (15 psi) is no big deal. If you're really getting 160 psi compression, you're looking at 10+ atmospheres. At that density, it takes a very powerful spark to jump."

The HT ignition coil on mine is brand new but it's a no-brand version from treats so I'm hoping it was bad out of the box. I ordered the Olympia coil, a new condenser, a 12-volt light coil and a voltage regulator for the lights last Friday so I'll update again when it comes in. Until then this dead ped is staying parked on the table.

IMG_8271.jpg

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Dang, cool shop. Makes me think of Abom79

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'm going to guess that you may have weak ground to your HT coil, given all that nice, new paint on there. Make sure you have continuity/no resistance between the HT ciol/ground and Motor and frame.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I'm going to guess that you may have weak ground to your HT coil, given

> all that nice, new paint on there. Make sure you have continuity/no

> resistance between the HT ciol/ground and Motor and frame.

I used a dremel to grind the paint off the top of that entire tab the coil mounts to and still nothing. The new coil is supposed to arrive Thursday.

Ok last night sucked. The new HT coil, 12v regulator and condenser came in. Of course I accidentally ordered the condenser without the bracket so that was the first minor issue. First I took off the flywheel and replaced the 6v light coil with a 12v light coil. Then I switched the new HT coil and made a bracket for the regulator. I didn't want to use the condenser if I didn't have to since it didn't have the bracket so I was just going to try the new coil first. I hooked everything back up and used a drill to rotate the motor to check spark. It had spark outside the engine so I put it back together and used the drill to try to start it. It didn't start but it did get some smoke out of the exhaust so that seemed like a good sign, like it was actually getting enough spark to burn some gas with the new coil.

Since it didn't start I decided to try the new condenser. I went to pull the flywheel but I couldn't get the puller on. The socket in the drill bounced around too much and destroyed the threads in the flywheel for the puller. Luckily I have other random pullers and was able to get it off with this steering wheel (I think) puller. I just got some fender washers and used the threaded holes for the fan. Thank God it popped easily and didn't pull those tiny threads out.

The condenser fit really tight in the stator plate so that was nice so maybe it didn't need the bracket. I put everything back together again and dropped the moped down to the floor. Since the drill f'd up the threads I decided to just try the kickstart this time. Boom! It started, ran for about 10 seconds and stalled out. Started a couple more times and stalled at idle. Then it wouldn't start any more, the clutch lever wouldn't engage. I tried adjusting the cable but it still wouldn't engage enough to turn over. So this morning I took apart the transmission to check it since I wanted to switch to blue clutch springs anyway. Here's what I saw:

The ball bearing in the clutch starter plate welded itself to the spring plate and pulled out of the starter plate. I've read like every V1 thread on here and I don't think I've ever seen this happen. Is it another casualty of using the drill to start? Or was the clutch starter cable too tight and keeping it engaged? Mopeds are great!

Maybe it's just me , but , that^ looks like a pretty red neck set up .

> P D Wrote:

> Maybe it's just me , but , that^ looks like a pretty red neck set up .

Maybe you are just responding to the photos and didn't actually read the post. The flywheel was stripped so I couldn't use the puller. What would you have done that would have been less "redneck?" Smacked it with a hammer? Bent it with a prybar? If you want to insult me for my creative problem solving that's fine, I just posted it to show there's other relatively safe ways to pull the flywheel if you can't use the actual puller.

> Joe K Wrote:

> If you want to insult me for my

> creative problem solving that's fine, I just posted it to show there's

> other relatively safe ways to pull the flywheel if you can't use the

> actual puller.

I might insult you , but , it wouldn't be for your method of pulling .

I was talking about that chintzy ball bearing clutch release . ;)

I’ve had to use a yolk puller before. It works

I ordered the new starter plate and put that in today. Since I had the trans side open I also put the blue clutch springs on too. It started right up finally! It would stall out unless I gave it gas so I turned the idle screw in pretty far until it ran on it's own.

I drove it up the street about 1/4 mile and back. It is kinda slow off the line but definitely faster than it was the last time I rode it. I don't have a speedometer but the temp gauge maxed out at 287 degrees. What is too hot for the V1? 350? When it stops snowing I'm gonna test it with a GPS Speedometer on my phone.

I also have other sprockets I can switch to get it going a little faster. I have 11, 12 and 13 tooth sprockets for the front and a 38 and 45 for the rear. Right now it is at 11x45.

Here's a video of the first-ish start:

I want to thank MA as a whole for helping me get this thing rolling!!!

p.s. the moped stalls when I hit the brakes. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Did I wire something backwards?

Your brake light is most likely out or wired incorrectly. it’s an Italian thing. It’s a built in failsafe to kill the motor when the brake light is blown.

Luke Stroehlein /

Beautiful build, I'll be following this!

I need some more wiring help. I put an LED tail light on and can't get it to work right. I've read the other threads about the V1's dying when the brake light is out. Mine runs great until I hit the brake lever, then it dies. I was hoping to get lucky and I took the resistor out of the old light and connected it in line to the LED tail light and that did nothing.

I saw in the other threads that say you can ground the blue wire and run the brake lights on the yellow (black from engine normally but mine is yellow) wire with the headlights. I tried that and it half worked. When I hooked it up that way the headlight and tail light switch didn't work but the brake lights worked. I could start it and hit the brake lever and it would continue to run but the headlight/tail light wouldn't turn on at the same time.

So my question I guess my question is: is there a correct way to run all the light wires to the wires together to the yellow wire (black wire)? Or do you literally just connect yellow(black) coming out of the engine to blue (going TO brake switch) and white (going TO headlight/horn/tail light)? Thanks!

p.s. does anyone have experience putting an LED tail light on a V1?

I finally drove it a couple miles. At first I maxed out at 35.9 mph and I went home and re-adjusted the timing. Then I hit 42.7 at 1.7mm BTDC on it's 11x45 gear ratio, max temp was 374. When I got home I noticed the oil dripping out of the exhaust. It has new crank seals so I'm not sure where that is coming from. Could the premix have too much oil in it?

IMG_8350.jpg
IMG_8351.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account