What variators do you use on your Moby?

Maosn Campbell /

Friend of mine bought a 1979 50V Moby today. Purchasing a AV7 74cc 47mm kit and a Delltoro PHGB 19.5mm AS Carb. He needs a new variator badly as well. What have you guys used and had success with?

Also if you have any recommendations on other upgrades that may need to happen with this kit please feel free to chime in.

Re: What variators do you use on your Moby?

Why does he need a new var? I usually use the stock one with a 2 ball guide for mild set ups. Anything “racey” gets a kickstart er3 variator and a ripper will need a clutch pulley and er3 for me to want to ride it at all.

Maosn Campbell /

The stock variator is completely rusted out and locked up. Messed with it all afternoon and cant get it to work properly. Should I just replace with stock then? I guess I really don't understand the why or why not I would need a clutch pulley. And sorry for my ignorance but does the stock var act with a clutch pulley or without?

A clutched pulley is used in conjunction with a clutchless variator. It’s not super crucial to make a moby work well, but it does make it more fun to ride. I would try to find another stock one probably, but don’t get the aftermarket stock replacement ones, or do and try to use as many of your parts as possible, they are all out of round and make your bike vibrate like the dickens. I have had bikes with the stock variator go really fast, but the take off is never that great. Though with the 74cc it should have decent pick up.

Maosn Campbell /

Cool, so if I were to go with clutched var it could work then yea? and my buddy is the pro of Mobys, has had quite a few. But he is not here and asleep haha, can't get his 2 cents. Don't need the bike to rip, want it to start and run reliably but be a little fun to ride.

Barack Obama /

> Maosn Campbell Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Cool, so if I were to go with clutched var it could work then yea? and

> my buddy is the pro of Mobys, has had quite a few. But he is not here

> and asleep haha, can't get his 2 cents. Don't need the bike to rip, want

> it to start and run reliably but be a little fun

https://www.sundaymorningmotors.com/product-p/c004086.htm

Don’t thank me just tell them honey sent you

Extra torque from a kit will help keep you in around the power band. Stock Motobecane with 3 ball guide, shaved movable cheek and stuffed counter spring will do most of the automatic 'shifting' work for you. Add a launch lever if you have lots of traffic or real hills (not large bumps).

Maosn Campbell /

So buying an upgraded var with clutch should be a good buy yea? So long as I don't go clutchless? Don't feel like installing a clutch pulley.

The clutched aftermarket variator just has a an idler bearing. You either need a kickstart, pull start or do the card board trick. I would recommend a reconditioned stock variator with either a 2 ball guide or put spacers on the counter spring to give it a later shift.

Maosn Campbell /

Cool. Last question. If you purchase a var without a clutch and get the clutch pulley, will the moped still be able to start with the pedals?

Pedals aren’t useable without making a custom or modifying the doppler pedal shaft. Most people just switch to pegs with a clutch pulley as you dont need to start with the pedals, the clutch pulley uses a one way bearing for the starting clutch and it basically fires up when you sit on it. That’s an exaggeration obviously, but a well tuned bike with start in < 3ft.

Maosn Campbell /

Ok cool, so just to clarify, if I decide to go with an after market var and a clutch pulley I will still need to start the bike using the cardboard trick, pull start or kick?

Barack Obama /

> Maosn Campbell Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ok cool, so just to clarify, if I decide to go with an after market var

> and a clutch pulley I will still need to start the bike using the

> cardboard trick, pull start or kick?

if you buy the clutch pully you can start it like a true moped gp racer. Bump start*

No cardboard need

Plus it will probably idle way better because the stupid er3 with a clutch is really just a cheap idea and basically is next to direct drive(edited)

Cristian Luna /

I had a av10 with a er2 with the idle bearing and carrying around cardboard gets old really fast but that was pre pull start days so that would make things easier

Stock pulley uses 2 x HK1612 (16x22x12) needle bearing cartridge, you can use HF1612 (16x22x16) one way needle clutch with a little modifications for the wider bearing.

What the hell is the cardboard trick?

It works like this: on the idle bearing clutched variators or if your belt tension sucks/is worn out you can remove your belt and shim the variator with cardboard, business card, popcorn kernel, side walk trash, ect. to engage the belt, once it starts and revs up at all it will shoot the cardboard out and you get the idle feature back. If your bike stalls you have to repeat the process. It’s kind of annoying on a bike you are trying to ride casually, but on a race machine I highly recommend it. It makes for a really nice launch and almost always a perfect tune with only trying a few weight combos.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account