Re: Peugeot build update and Questions

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I really like the metrakit. If you have the skills to build it, it is definitely worth it. I think it solves the cooling problem because the fins are vertical and massive compared to other kits

You need the reinforced mounting bracket as well if you are going to run the simo

I dunno what most people's experience is with it but I've had to weld it back together about 5 times. Pretty ripping pipe though.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You need the reinforced mounting bracket as well if you are going to run

> the simo

>

> I dunno what most people's experience is with it but I've had to weld it

> back together about 5 times. Pretty ripping pipe though.

I’d say that’s the case with any non swing arm mounting 103 pipe though

So the pipe gets here tomorrow if the tracking is correct. super excited to put it on and rip. I also will be installing a bunch of other goodies like new clutch pads, brake cables, front brake pads and spark boot.

Oh Yeah! also ready to do whatever weldin and reinforcin and bracin that I have to to keep this thang on.

So I kinda been thinking about it and realized that since the performance moped pipes out there are all designed for a very similar displacement cylinders with similar blowdown and exhaust timings. that just leaves the expected peak power rpm and inlet diameter as the remaining variables which again will probably be all different within a range common to mopeds. basically that will allow someone to hack and weld any moped pipe they want onto any moped they want and still be able to expect a high probability of performance gains. Is this correct? If it is, what would be the issue with buying cheaper used pipes from like whatever moped you want and then fabricating mounts and header and possibly a ball joint to mount them to a Peugeot. And then cross your fingers and hope for some good performance? If nothing else it would be an interesting experiment... Or a thought experiment...

Dirty30 Dillon /

Most moped pipes can be fit to any moped. There aren't many pipes that you couldn't make work on any bike if you have the correct dimensions.

Whats the best belt for my bike? I've heard allot about the AX something belt...

> Caleb Walker Wrote:

> Whats the best belt for my bike? I've heard allot about the AX something

> belt...

Gates AX32

A32 or 4L340 cheapo China V-Belts are sticky as heck and way less than a Gates belt.

Softer the rubber the better the grip the faster it wears. I prefer better grip than a belt that lasts (and slips) forever. Ones I buy are 1/3 price of any "name brand" and I just carry a spare.

> Caleb Walker Wrote:

> Whats the best belt for my bike? I've heard allot about the AX something

> belt...

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> A32 or 4L340 cheapo China V-Belts are sticky as heck and way less than a

> Gates belt.

>

> Softer the rubber the better the grip the faster it wears. I prefer

> better grip than a belt that lasts (and slips) forever. Ones I buy are

> 1/3 price of any "name brand" and I just carry a spare.

>

> > Caleb Walker Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Whats the best belt for my bike? I've heard allot about the AX

> something

>

> > belt...

The Gates belts are about 8$ here, but you prefer the A belts with no teeth? Interesting, what do you feel the advantage is?

AX? I have been running BX toothed belts on my Peugeot builds with good luck. I thought AX belts were too narrow? Hmmm... I’m going to have to look into this now.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I was only getting a few weeks out of the 4L340 belts before they became hard to start without the decomp/ v slippy. They definitely fare better on low power stockish builds. Seem to accelerate better than the AX32 belts.

That being said, i've been dailying the same Gates AX32 for like 4 months now and it's only a little slippy at this point. A little slower on the acceleration, but the top end is also a little better.

My pipe finally came yesterday. I went ahead and mounted it and have been messing with the jetting and needle settings. I went ahead and dropped the main jet down to a 90 and it was way under powered and boggy and just ran hot and lean. so I worked my way up every larger jet and every richer needle setting it ran better and better. its got like an 118 main jet and the third from top needle setting now. I know this is ridiculously rich but the bike wont have it any other way. I have searched for air leaks and haven't found any. its got brand new seals that I put in with great care and some grease. And I was super careful and used a gasket silicon goop stuff on my intake gaskets. As far as I can tell there are no air leaks. and the timing is set to 1.5mm btdc. sooooo... I am done thinking about it and letting it bother me. I cant really think of anything else to blame it on except the cheapy chinese PHBG carb that I'm running. in all, the setup as a whole seems to be tuning in nicely, and except for the jet and needle settings being weird, everything is performing as expected. I guess I could swap back to the SHA and tune it in and see what jet it likes with that (I bet it would be like an 80) but I dont even know if its worth it. Since it seems to tune and work fine except for running rich jet and needle settings, I'm gonna just roll with it.

So at any rate, back to the pipe this thing is awesome. I should have bought a pipe for this bike long ago. Right around 30 MPH the powerband comes on and it runs right up to 45 MPH. I am loving it. RPM's are peaking out around 8,000 and some odd on road (not the stand). My top speed was 51.5 MPH on a slight downhill according to my Garmin GPS cross referenced with a phone app. I weigh around 150 pounds though so it hauls me pretty easy. I still got a lot of tuning to do and little details to fix (brakes, air cleaner, vario, carb) but I am loving the progress.

Nice! The clamp on China carbs sometimes have a bogus spacer/shim that don't fit right

Also I try not to give advice on French bikes, every single one I build is completely different. You can build the exact same setup back to back and have it run 10 jet sizes different, who knows. Jet where it's happy and watch the temp and sacrifice a virgin to your chosen deity just to be safe.

Yeah Graham! I'm sure that's right! I found two O-rings that fit on both sides of the shim one against the intake and one on the carb body. the more I think about it the more I become sure its the carb. so I think I mentioned earlier that the atomizer that came with it was the four stroke version so I went ahead and ordered the two stroke bushing and atomizer. when I went to take the old one out, I realized the carb body was actually threaded and there was no bushing present. the atomizer just fit up in and screwed into the carb body itself. I guess this is one place the chinese took liberty to cut corners and make a cheap carb. No bushing means one less part to manufacture and assemble. I decided just to drill that out so that the au atomizer bushing would fit. Everything then fit nicely together but now I wonder if the atomizer is higher up in the carb then it would usually be, thus somewhat restricting the fuel flow and requiring the rich needle and jet settings. the more I think about it the more plausible it sounds... besides, after seeing that who knows what else is different and weird in this stinking carb.

Bottom line is I only have $50 give or take a little in the carb. this is about half what the genuine dellorto would cost. maybe would have just bought that but still ain't doing bad. most the money is in needles atomizers, jets etc. so if i ever buy an actual dellorto carb I will have anything I need to set it up and tune it in. so nothing lost there really and as a pluss I know waaaaayyyy more about these carbs and carbs in general than I did before. If I had a build I wanted to do super cheap, I would maybe consider going this route again understanding that it is gonna need to be tuned somewhat differently than the genuine dellorto. Chinese PHBG's arent PHBG's. They are cheap, chintzy, lousy carbs that resemble a PHBG. If you are willing to to deal with the nuisances they have the potential to be a cheap high performance PHBG alternative.

Thats my two cents...

pic with the current progress....

20200409_192902.jpg

I buy the ones they sell for the ktm cobra, they are already jetted pretty close out of the box but they are spigot mount so not great on a Peugeot. Too be honest it's one application where I like to stick with the sha because they run pretty hard on the lower performance setups and they package really nicely.

Ilia Edouardovich /

Regarding the clamp style PHBG, should you go that route I strongly suggest following a torque sequence to prevent air leaks at the clamp. Let me explain!!! I recently had to replace a clamp style PHBG due to damage that occurred on the work bench. I was very bummed and dished out the approximate $100. When installing the new one I noticed that it slid onto the intake much smoother than my old one. Upon close inspection I realized that 2 of the 4 clamping tabs that compress and bite the manifold were compressed out-of-round. It turned out that I had a major air leak there. Strange because the bike ran great before, but now I went from a 94 main jet to a 74 main jet on a 17.5 mm carb. Plus I dropped a size on the pilot jet. I was blown away! Not sure if it was caused by the first owner, but with the new PHBG I made sure to carefully tighten the clamp with a sequence. Tighten, loosen and rotate 45 degrees, tighten, losses and rotate 45 degrees, and repeat to ensure that I got an even amount of compression on the 4 tabs all around. Also, I placed the open portion of the clamp at the 3 or 9 o clock position to prevent this from occurring due to up and down force when riding.

Maybe I’m over thinking this, but I don’t want to ever have to replace that carb again. If so, I may take Graham’s advice and transition to a SHA next time around. For under 8k rpm on case induction, 15mm should be more than enough.

> Ilia Edouardovich Wrote:

> For under 8k rpm on case induction, 15mm should

> be more than enough.

The thing about reeds is that they develop such a strong pressure signal that you don't need as big of a carb to get as much air flow. Even more so with 70cc. It's counter-intuitive but lower speed, big displacement will suck more air through a smaller carb than a small displacement high rpm setup. Plus you got a vario so you can tune for the low rpm power and still get a lot of top speed.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account