What can you tell from these pics?

I could use your help.

I built an e50 for one of my Magnums a few years ago.

Treats Reed kit - mild porting and case matched

Airsal 72cc head (original)- not the one cut for the Treats Reed Kit

Malossi 4 Petal reed block

Stuffy crank

MLM intake

Mikuni VM20 carb

Treats pipe

Stock points

Has been a great kit and has runs strong for the 500- 750 miles +/- it has been on. Noticed a few puffs of air shooting out and some leaking between head and cylinder. I pulled apart tonight to clean and replace gaskets.

My question: Should I replace the rings while it's off. Is it necessary at all. What can you tell by looking at the pics attached. Does the cylinder Wal look fine. Is there more case matching/porting I should do. Again, this bike runs great with solid pull. I am maxing out at 49MPH with me at 180lbs without issue and comfortably cruise with traffic at 40MPH. What more can or should I do?

Thanks so much,

Dean

1CC9DFEE-FC68-4FD0-9A93-4C69663FED47.jpeg
B86BC8FF-AD4D-408F-A0DB-C2C168DE39B3.jpeg
286F4671-7A65-4EC3-A00A-576FA05D50B1.jpeg

Re: What can you tell from these pics?

Tweaker trash /

Wow if that is 750 miles that is amazing! Yes replace the rings ( just buy entire piston) maybe a single ring if your feeling some higher rpms and cooler temps :)

If it were mine, I’d replace the base gasket. Soak it in oil before installing. Deck your head on glass with 1000 grit sandpaper until mirror shiny, and reinstall it. Torque properly in criss cross pattern. Start it up. Retorque once warmed up, and again after 10 miles, 50 miles, and 100 miles. Rings should be fine, you’re barely broke in.

Just some soapy water and scuffed the cylinder wall with a fine Scotch-Brite pad put it back together ditch the head gasket

Tweaker trash /

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If it were mine, I’d replace the base gasket. Soak it in oil before

> installing. Deck your head on glass with 1000 grit sandpaper until

> mirror shiny, and reinstall it. Torque properly in criss cross pattern.

> Start it up. Retorque once warmed up, and again after 10 miles, 50

> miles, and 100 miles. Rings should be fine, you’re barely broke in.

What just broke in :| I guess my wot runs for like 7min are no good. If that was my kit the fucking skirt would be broken by now

So what are you looking for? Everything looks great. I don’t think replacing the rings is needed at the moment. Put a new base gasket on and seal the head and keep going! If you want it faster than that change your sprockets and tune your clutch

ahhhh

i dunno man its always hard to tell taking photos of cylinder walls, did you gap the ring? they are always way off on those kits.

it looks like a bad break-in to me, the piston will tell you if there is brown residue below the ring or if the ring has inconsistent shiny/dull patches.

Ya it looks like there was not enough ring gap and kinda scored the wall. But it is hard to tell in the pictures.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> ahhhh

>

> i dunno man its always hard to tell taking photos of cylinder walls, did

> you gap the ring? they are always way off on those kits.

>

> it looks like a bad break-in to me, the piston will tell you if there is

> brown residue below the ring or if the ring has inconsistent shiny/dull

> patches.

This is what Im looking for. When you say "looks like a bad break-in" what indicates that? I did gap the rings. As stated, the bike runs great. I will absolutely check rings for uneven wear and replace gaskets. Just did not want to miss anything I can do while its apart. Thanks for the comments.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Buttcheeks BUZZARD Wrote:

> So what are you looking for? Everything looks great. I don’t think

> replacing the rings is needed at the moment. Put a new base gasket on

> and seal the head and keep going! If you want it faster than that change

> your sprockets and tune your clutch

I agree with this, If anything, that's barely even properly worn in.

its tough to get good pictures of the cylinder wall, it looked like scratches but it can be just a reflection.

the piston is what tells ya if its right or not, either way chrome cylinders are pretty tough and you can usually keep running them unless they are real damaged

Overpriced Parts /

Probably just a bad head gasket or not torqued correctly in sequence But it could be that the head has the wrong chamber/it’s made for 46mm instead of 45mm as well as I bet you didn’t base space, set squish or nothing,

Your set up should be blasting at 55+ mph if setup and timed/tuned correctly so you’re not making much that much more power than you can get out of a stock ported cylinder and a 14mm carb

I will get the proper head for this set up and put it back together. Thanks so much for the feedback.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account