17" Sebring Acorn to Disc

Hey all! I'm trying to convert the front wheel on my Sebring to disc, and am wondering if anyone here has made that conversion? If so, how did you do it? It doesn't seem like the Mike Thomas kit will fit after measuring the ID of my wheel (which I believe is 89mm), and short of that it seems like custom is the only way to go.

I've looked around & haven't found any other threads of folks doing this, so figured I'd ask ye ol Moped Hive Mind.

Thanks all!

81686394_10217935314786961_8747463087495315456_n.jpg

Re: 17" Sebring Acorn to Disc

Look up the snowflake disc brake conversion thread. Acorn wheels will use the same parts as the snowflakes, there is an idler pulley that is 90mm that you can mount a cheap eBay disc to easily.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Look up the snowflake disc brake conversion thread. Acorn wheels will

> use the same parts as the snowflakes, there is an idler pulley that is

> 90mm that you can mount a cheap eBay disc to easily.

Fairly easy to get done, if you're handy.

IMG7211495979452402960.jpg

The front acorns are perfect for this. They actually have the area cast for the nuts to hold the rear sprocket on. I assume it was because they were all cast the same then some became fronts and some became rears. I leaned this too late after I used 2 rears on a bike to make a front disk brake setup. I was super bummed because all you have to do is drill out the holes, make some spacers, and use the gold 4 hole pit bike rotors.

todd amundson /

Pictures not good enough but 17” Sebring rear with disc on a Free Spirit frame.

829804D8-84B4-49D4-B537-8221E78AAB4E.jpeg
F8009E6A-7D41-4D1A-9B10-3A760E45F033.jpeg

Use a modified hole saw from Home Depot.

Oh damn, I have seen that thread, but it didn't occur to me that I could use the same method! Thanks so much for pointing that out, I'm most likely going to order those parts today & go that route.

Oh shit, you're totally right! I saw all the holes & thought they must have used the same cast/mold as the rears to make the fronts (which makes sense, from a manufacturing perspective), and figured there must be a way to attach a rotor here. Can I ask how you how you did yours? Like, what rotor you used, and if you remember how long the spacers were? I'm sure it's p obvious but I'm not the most knowledgeable/resourceful about these sorts of things.

also just now realizing that responding to individual comments looks funny in the non-threaded view of this post... haha, sorry about that.

E7589524-14C2-4636-8AC2-1036D5E064AE.jpeg

They look like this. The standoff are going to vary whit how you clapper is mounted and wheel is spaced. It is going to be trial and error. But I’d do recommend this tour for acorns.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account