Tomos clutch tuning

I’m still new to this so excuse me if this is stupid, but I know the springs make a difference and I want to know to hold 1st gear longer, also what gear oil should I use?

Re: Tomos clutch tuning

Fill up to the inspection level hole with type F. I have a stretched out red in second on my 65cc A35 along with the softest springs on a jammer first gear. A little over fill on the fluid shouldn't hurt, but do not use gear oil to change the shift point, you'll only wear things out faster. Bike takes off quickly and shifts smoothly into 2nd at a reasonable RPM with this setup.

I have tried the yellow and red springs in second gear. With the yellow spring the shift point was around 18mph, with the red spring It shifts around 23mph. The red spring gives just enough delay for the pipe to kick in first gear and shift into second with more momentum and not lag so much after the shift.

My clutch setup consists of relined second gear with rubberized cork and the red spring from treats. First gear has the Dos clutch pads with the stock spring. I run synthetic motor oil.

IMG_20200323_205431013.jpg
IMG_20200323_205500017.jpg

gearing makes a huge difference in shift point on tomos too. in my experience the oil doesn't matter much and you can't over fill it or it blows out the sprocket. you can fine tune by cutting the springs shorter but only so far.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Well you can do a lot to a Oem Tomos clutch. Depends in what the gearing and terrain.

Pads the substrates will have different properties. Vibram rubber pads with epoxy filler mix toes . light oil quicker grab heavey higher engagement rpm . the toes semi melt and get tacky. When you Pac man the clutch to bite by flipping the pin spots I have only run a3 clutches flipped but a35 using a3 shoes . could run them dry...

Tomos shift at a specific rear wheel speed, it’s bizarre but it works. Roll your tomos down a big hill with the engine off and second will automatically engage at whatever speed it shifts and start the engine.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tomos shift at a specific rear wheel speed, it’s bizarre but it works.

> Roll your tomos down a big hill with the engine off and second will

> automatically engage at whatever speed it shifts and start the engine.

Lol, it's true. When I was draining the oil one time, I spun the pedals as fast as a could by hand to fling all the oil off the gears and get as much out as possible, and I started the damn thing

That is so weird... I did not know this!

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Yep, when you spin the rear wheel, you spin the 2nd gear clutch. Spin it fast enough and it engages the bell, which spins the crank with the one way bearing and starts it.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

That is a failing rollback bearing I coast down hill all the time off. Or the ? Mark spring thing l do know for years it will engage 2nd but not enough to fire coasting even steep downhill.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account