Re: Stock Puch Head On Hobbit

I think 10/24 or 10/32 requires just a tap. No drilling required.

Emil Kniemel /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think 10/24 or 10/32 requires just a tap. No drilling required.

why not metric? im only asking because i plan to plug a decomp and ordered a range of metric.

Cuz I have a ton of standard taps, much more common than metric in the US. Use what you like.

I do a lot of building and standard thread hardware is way cheaper.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Cuz I have a ton of standard taps, much more common than metric in the

> US. Use what you like.

>

> I do a lot of building and standard thread hardware is way cheaper.

Agreed .

I can't think of any bike I've ever owned that was completely one standard or another . IE : USS , Metric , BSW , etc .

So I filled the hole with high pressure JB Weld. Put everything together and it all seems to be running well. We’ll see how long it lasts but from other forum posts of folks doing similar things, it sounds like it can last for a while.

I’ll check it in a week or so to see if it’s done anything weird. Hopefully it’ll just stay put. Fingers crossed.

That's a dumb move. Sorry but it's dumb as hell.

It's going to burn and drop into the ex port.

The tap and set screw costs like 3.50

JBOT, I’ll check it out in a week or so but I think it’ll hold up. It’s a high temp JB weld. It might now be perfect but it’s good for now.

I don’t want to go out and buy a tap right now since the pandemic is fucked (I live in New Orleans), I guess I can order one online, and I’ll check that out.

JBOT, have you tapped and filled a DR decomp hole? And what tap size did you use, and you didn’t have any adverse affects on the cylinder because of it?

I thread every decomp hole in every kit cuz decomp is fucking stupid.

Why would you want an open channel with 600+ degrees going at your head even if the decomp dead ends there? Just encourages heat soaked heads.

So yeah, pretty sure you can just tap right into the hole without drilling with either 10/24 or 10/32 threads, I forget. I can check tomorrow. 10/32 is good for small fittings for gas and air too tho so that's what I would do.

Yeah the epoxy won't hold up but hopefully it won't do any damage.

And you don't need to buy a set screw, just cut the head off a bolt then cut a flat screwdriver slot in the top with a dremel

Btw, if you've never tapped something, watch a video on it first, and clean all the garbage out of the decomp hole after tapping so the debris does not get into the engine. It will fuck your shit up (edited)

Emil Kniemel /

Does it matter the material of the set screw? Like seems optimal to be made of the same thing as the cylinder but probably just overthinking it. Nothing wrong with stainless i presume.

Any steel will be fine.

You aren't going to take this out.

You have pullstart or a 1 way bearing yeah? Cuz hobbits starter shoes are lame af

One way bearing is a god send. Totally worth the $30 something. Very easy to install. They say you should regrease it every few hundred miles or so. I put a fuck ton on before I installed it. I’ll regrease again at 200 miles just to be safe I suppose.

Anyone ever have you had any issues with the one way bearing?

Tried jb for a decomposing on a stock revolution and it lasted all of maybe 3 miles. 3 out of 10, would not recommend. Tap it for sure. I like the cut the head off a bolt and slot it for a flat head idea!

I just checked.

I was very wrong about the tap for the decomp hole on hobbit kits.

You need the very common 1/4-20 tap, or an M6. My memory fails me sometimes

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

Whoa you tap the decomp hole on your kit?? Is that something I should be doing? Man, I learn something new every dang ol day

Only tap part way then bottom out a set screw if:

1. You're using stock head and don't want to use decomp any more

2. You're using a different head that does not cover the decomp hole

3. The diff head does cover the decomp hole but you don't want the superheated exhaust gasses to bump up against the head, assisting the heat soaking which you don't want (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account