Sprocket Question..

Alberto Cordero Jr /

Hello All

Hope everyone is well.

Fitting Kreidler wheels on the old daily Magnum.

In changing wheels I went from having an 18 sprocket in the front and 40 in the rear to a 36 in the rear. Basically loosing 4 teeth in the rear now. Was currently hitting 33ish. What change in speed am I going to see when I finish?

Any chance there's a chart somewhere?

Thnx crew..

20200405_180935[1].jpg

Re: Sprocket Question..

Your low end will suffer greatly if the bike is stock. But you'll gain a few mph if the engine is strong enough to pull it. It's not ideal

Throw a 15 bing, intake, and a Tecno estoril on to get your bottom end back.

If you haven't changed your shift dampening pucks yet do it now.

https://martysgarage.info/

Use the toolbox in the menu

Alberto Cordero Jr /

Thnx for the advice on the pucks. Seems to be a pain in the ass to do on these ZA's

Alberto Cordero Jr /

I seem to have plenty of lower end currently. Tons of get up and go for me. Hopefully I wont loose to much. Thnx for the chime in.

Alberto Cordero Jr /

According to Marty Link At 30mph I'm only seeing a slight difference in RPM. I think I should be good but wish me luck.

Thnx all

1Front Sprocket/1Rear Sprocket=Ratio1

1Front Sprocket/2Rear Sprocket= Ratio2

Ratio2/Ratio1=Gain or loss

Gain or Loss x Max MPH with old set up= New Potential Max MPH

You can also plug in different sprockets.

This equation has been pretty useful to me.

> Alberto Cordero Jr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thnx for the advice on the pucks. Seems to be a pain in the ass to do on

> these ZA's

Just did them yesterday on a friend's bike, took about 2 hours

Less of a pain in the ass than exploding your engine. Check out the ZA post in the Buy/Sell forum for pics of what that looks like

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Alberto Cordero Jr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Was currently hitting 33ish.

giphy.gif

Naw the shiftpucks aren't hard. Length of rope for a Piston stop, socket set, and a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the bearings in the one way doodle. Grab an old towel and lay every single part out in obvious order, then you won't get confused with where things go. Look for shims on every part! They could be stuck to parts with oil. You don't want to loose em. Flip your second speed clutch while your in there, it delays the shift point and helps with acceleration..

Here's the big thing, the thickness of the cover gasket it PARAMOUNT to the geometry of the gear box. Do not rip it! Otherwise you'll need to measure end float and re shim the engine for the new gaskets thickness.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account