THE Devil's shoes.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

So years of reshoeing my clutches led me to some friction materials that run smooth.

Now finding the right materials to start is an arcane science.. I used this totally wrong rubber canvas with deep pyramidal pattern I left it exposed outside for 5 years to rid it of the elastomeres and antioxidant turned hard.

20200413_2136232.jpg

I used an a3 clutch hub and marked the pin locations on an a35 hub so I can run beefier a3 shoes.with the thinner pins it also allows flipping the pins.

The Tomos clutch tool should be renamed the Tomos work bench clutch tool you need a shop vise to work it also 2 hook probes.

Next cut strips. Using a wet stone grind surface verticly to give shearing bracing. I previously used jb weld and vibram shoe material with a texture the jb weld held the texture after the vibram wore off. So this time the deep texture is going shoeside to create the devil's shoes. I will lay a thick wad of jb weld hi temp steel filled epoxy down on all the shoes then clamp semi snug with ring clamp clean excess when set cap with crazy glue at seams dowse with baking soda sand clean.

20200413_2135572.jpg

My camera sux but I will get some pics on this.

20200413_2136072.jpg

Re: THE Devil's shoes.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The last set lasted 2 seasons and wore clean except the epoxy texture the hubs needed to be degreased and lightly sanded any epoxy that stuck leave on light sand verticly.immediately glue the shoes the alloy oxidises so you don't want air on it for very long the wet stone kinda cakes it with residue so just do it quick. I use an old Clutchbell as a form . or ring clamp semi loose so you get a thick epoxy layer. Pastime I used epoxy filled with nylon and vibram it lasted 2 seasons. Now the epoxy is steel filled maybe permanent shoes....

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The epoxy gets tacky when it's hot and gives the grab.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

More process

devilshoes.jpg
20200414_141802_Burst03.jpg
505.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The steel stuff is like play doh. I rolled out the excess and used an old bell oiled paper between strips to let them dry at the right arc . let fully cure cut excess sand. Also groove inside as well as sand so when you glue it with the regular jb weld it binds. Band with ring clamp let dry cut sand excesses. Super glue the seams add baking soda to cure sand do the inside edges. Sand a bevel when dry on the toes

♣Slew Foot♣ /

This is like the culmination of like 8 years of ridetime I used all sorts of stuff and fillers in different shoes to try to zero in the mix 6 different fillers tested some shoes had 3 different mixes. I think the wear will be minimal. It is just a little softer than the bell. I have so many bells this one is the tester it never blued.

todd amundson /

Dude, are you working in a bat cave? How do you see anything

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Squatch hole man ...

Terminology ....

I also use an old crank that no longer has the Conrod. To check clutch function and balance. Its handy to check the roller cages it also lets you set a keyway on another crank or flywheel.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Its gonna cure another20 hour s then

I hope the shitty rubber pulls off but if it doesn't I use a brick wall and wear off a mm. It will clean the wall even the epoxy marks... I have a utility apt. Its smaller than a studio or a 1 bedroom. I crammed a six bedroom farmhouse into here 12 years ago good thing I was Spartanesque..

I usually use my porch as a workshop but it has been raining poodles and. Manxes...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The stock shoe makers widths avail for vibram sux the thick stuff is too thick the thin stuff too thin so I layer the filled epoxy in thick then the vibram layer this gave the best results with a kitted bike and stock springs using oil viscosity to vary engagement.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

With a a3 adapted a35 hub I am doin the pin flips in 1rst. Gear. The a3 with the a35 Conrod had the wrong pedal shaft the internal chain was binding the stator was wonky too. So I am falling back to an Oem a3 base.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

To run both 1 & 2nd flipped.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

This is a long process about a week of work because of drytimes but they'll last two hard seasons on a kitted bike you know when it really needs pads when the engagement is super sensitive you need low rpm to shift right under a third throttle.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It will manually shift right into 2nd once you get the knack of the engage rpm speed. I can pull a 2nd speed start from a stop right up a hill 26 26 gears.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

But the old a3 shoes only have one hole

Using another a3 shoe Mark antipode. By flipping the shoe to mirror using a drill press and drill guide match hole.

Now you can flip the pins. The other holes will work like oilers

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Okay they dried they will peel leaving textured steel epoxy I sanded the glue side with vert grooves to hold epoxy. I will leave the rubber on I purposely left a peel edge.. The epoxy shoes look like the bomb.

I could peel them then glue vibram filled epoxy on top of it.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Crazy glue them back together and am just gonna leave the rubber to wear off. But I would've liked to vibram filled epoxy a strip of vibram on top but 2 more days I would go mad. Make sure it still fits the bell. The rubber was 2x the width of the vibram strips so it will be right.

it may jerk a little till the edges smooth.

Marvel mystery oil c astrol synthetic 4.1 ratio quick engagement. 170w differential oil to rev hi and then engage. Vary the weight for optimum performance.

Slew i bought a new hub for 2nd with shoes and all you do is install into the bell and it won't go into it. Even if you sand down the shoes. The hub gets tight as can be so what causes that??

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The bell has a bur or the inner race is hanging on the cog heat inner race of shoes and slap the bell on wood it should clear cog and freespin.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Even if the shoes vary in weight they will self correct after 2 rides to smooth shift. They came out perfect.

One down 4 more to go. I have 2 project motors. The a3 and a a3 a35 hybrid headache .

This was painful to read through.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Conversely if you actually re shoe your clutches a lot this learnt ya the weird textured filled vibram pads work better than bought once I know how they perform...

I can make a jig to make 10 sets at a time.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account