Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

I bled the brake today, needed to disassemble the whole lever for cleaning. It took literally around 300 pumps to get the system bled. The brake is rock solid now. Next is fabricating clutch and brake cable mounts. More to come soon.

20200521_104258.jpg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

I’m sad that a nice looking tan Newport got chopped up, but this is a really sick build. Tons of work and little details. Not my style of build, but I can really get behind your energy on this.

Fuel pump is silly, but you’re not the first one to put one on a Puch. That seat can’t be worse than some of the seats I’ve seen, either. I used an old pillow duct taped to a magnum before, I’ve seen stuffed animals and bare metal pans and skateboards. None of those are comfortable either.

Shouldn’t the shocks be flipped so the reservoir is toward the back end of the bike?

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

Thanks man! Good eye on the shocks. Definitely should be flipped. Everything is slapped together right now just so I could have a sense of how it will all come together. I haven't even welded on lower shock mounts yet, they will be flipped when the bike is put together for good. I appreciate that it's not your style but you're still complimenting the detail. It seems like a lot of people here are divided between restoration purists and modder.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

Progress is slow since I'm limited by chronic pain. Made a new clutch cable guide today. I use only a hacksaw, files, and a drill press to make parts and it has served me well so far.

20200522_103840.jpg
20200522_103849.jpg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

Welded up shock mounts and clutch cable guide. Gonna need to extend the kickstand about 3 inches and Weld up a brake cable guide for the rear brake. I put together my seat mounts too. A few welds need some grinding due to ugliness but everything came out solid. More to come soon.

20200525_121136.jpg
20200525_124824.jpg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Barack Obama /

Dude with all this time on your hands I would recommend stop building and just run the welder for few days until you get better beading a penetration. Nothing worse then welds breaking.

Grinding your weld down only makes it weaker*(edited)

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

The welds are solid and smooth for all intents and purposes. Just get those little bumps where the wire was that bug the hell out of me

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

Those "welds" look like they have no penetration. Every imperfection in a weld is a place for a failure to start. If you are gonna be welding a lamp sitting on a shelf in your bedroom great welds... however on a bumpy road on a vibrate city moped going over 25mph. There is a reason why welders get certified. I'd take the time to learn how to use your welder. I have thousands of hours professionally welding and fabricating and I'm learning how to weld beter everytime I do it. Welding is not something that is easy to do. The little welders at big box - home depot, harbor frieght are hard as shit to use properly. There isnt enough power to weld anything more than sheetmetal. You need to do long slow multipass welds on anything structural even as thin as 10ga steel tube. That equals to massive amounts of heat input and warping. It's just hard to learn on them. No shame in welding scraps up for practice.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

What the hell are you all on about? When did he weld anything "structural"? All I see is a clutch cable bracket. Sure, in the beginning he welded in a crossbar, but even done poorly that won't weaken the bike. He didn't alter or weld anything load bearing, so chill out.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

This is structural part. It's not a place you want a weld to fail at anyspeed. I have seen factory welds crack straight through a perfect looking fillet went on vespa subframe. There is lots of stress here. The super dark photo isnt helping much either. Those x look like you can snap them off with vise grips.

20200526_143603.jpg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What the hell are you all on about? When did he weld anything

> "structural"? All I see is a clutch cable bracket. Sure, in the

> beginning he welded in a crossbar, but even done poorly that won't

> weaken the bike. He didn't alter or weld anything load bearing, so chill

> out.

I'm wondering the same thing. I also know what the welds look like up close. Definitely solidly fused the metal. I know how to use the Amp settings, wire feed, and gas flow. My setup cost about 1000 bucks. I've been welding for years. Not sure what any of this is really about. I know how to stitch and use the right power... Yes the swing arm is a little ugly but it is solid.(edited)

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

Vibrations on moped and cars are hell on welds. It's a bunch of stress it will fatigue the weld every time you start and stop without complete penetration it makes a weaklink in the assembly. It makes a spot for the crack to start. If you are planning on going fast enough to need a steering dampener I'd think you should have some decent welds instead of using jb weld adhesive as a substitute.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

Okay, I understand about cracked welds. I guess we can agree to disagree. At the surface there's some bumpiness but there is a solid and unbroken bead beneath the bumps that is perfectly fused. The jb is only for use as body filler so the paint looks more smooth. If I crash and rip my face off due to a failed Weld I will pm you to tell you that you were right.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

Not to be a dick but you dont set the amps on a wire feed welder. You set the voltage.

Stick and tig are constant current power sources

Mig is constant voltage powersource.

There is a lot of theory about welding and if you learn as much as you can about how it works you can know how to use it to your advantage. Welding is not easy. Practice on scraps is something that everyone should do

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

Your weld will be fine. Something stupid out of your control like the brake lever will break before the frame. It's how everything works.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

> Paul Funyun Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Not to be a dick but you dont set the amps on a wire feed welder. You

> set the voltage.

>

> Stick and tig are constant current power sources

>

> Mig is constant voltage powersource.

>

> There is a lot of theory about welding and if you learn as much as you

> can about how it works you can know how to use it to your advantage.

> Welding is not easy. Practice on scraps is something that everyone

> should do

Okay I didn't know it was constant amps variable volts, but I do understand how to adjust the power settings. I've been through probably 80 cubic feet of shielding gas. I've welded metal nearly a quarter inch thick (empty gas cylinders) I don't think you're a dick, but you don't really know anything about my setup or the amount of experience I have. It seems incredibly common for people to jump into threads and give unsolicited advice without all the information

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

> Paul Funyun Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Your weld will be fine. Something stupid out of your control like the

> brake lever will break before the frame. It's how everything works.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but that's probably true. Your username is pretty clever BTW 😂

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Paul Funyun Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This is structural part. It's not a place you want a weld to fail at

> anyspeed. I have seen factory welds crack straight through a perfect

> looking fillet went on vespa subframe. There is lots of stress here. The

> super dark photo isnt helping much either. Those x look like you can

> snap them off with vise grips.

Somehow I completely missed that, I definitely agree with you there. I would not ride that. Thought you were referring to his most recent post which was the cable bracket, because you didn't use the quote function

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

its definitely easy to barge in stomping on everything.

Definitely not being sarcastic about other shit breaking. I used my breaks and the stupid cast metal assembly snapped at the handlebars. I can weld aluminum but this didn't want to be welded as it melted into a puddle. Probably should have used the handle bars as a heatsink.

20200525_234102.jpg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

I don't need to know about your setup I can see the welds. They are not the best. Yes the will hold. But for how long... when will they break. Dont know.... too risky. Too many factors that are unknown.

Welding and fabrication is about learning from your mistakes. You can always make a new swingarm assembly at a later time.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

> Paul Funyun Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> its definitely easy to barge in stomping on everything.

>

> Definitely not being sarcastic about other shit breaking. I used my

> breaks and the stupid cast metal assembly snapped at the handlebars. I

> can weld aluminum but this didn't want to be welded as it melted into a

> puddle. Probably should have used the handle bars as a heatsink.

Yeah that stuff melts like solder. Once it cracks there's pretty much nothing to do but replace it. I hope my hydraulic lever doesn't break lol

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Barack Obama /

Yea i welded up some foot pegs tonight and I still wasn’t satisfied.

The lil holes are from the chip hammer ( $100 stick weldEr )

64F20B99-7DF1-49CF-9E82-DF7195A48F43.jpeg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Paul Funyun /

That stick weld definitely has the penetration going on! Especially considering it's just holding your feet up. A few small stick weld stitched on are wicked strong. Most times if you can run a stick bead its gonna be a pretty good bead. Mig welder is overly complicated for most people.

Stick welders are the mopeds of welders! Simple, cheap, fun, and hardly any moving parts.. lol

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Barack Obama /

> Paul Funyun Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That stick weld definitely has the penetration going on! Especially

> considering it's just holding your feet up. A few small stick weld

> stitched on are wicked strong. Most times if you can run a stick bead

> its gonna be a pretty good bead. Mig welder is overly complicated for

> most people.

>

> Stick welders are the mopeds of welders! Simple, cheap, fun, and hardly

> y any moving parts.. lol

Yup weldEr settings are Everything! 20% welding 80% prep. Tig me baby

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

That fender is definitely sort-of

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Dirty30 Dillon /

Just blast a rosette in the bolt-hole for the pegs.

Pegs are like one of the top things you need sturdy. Having your feet suddenly hit the pavement at 30 is quite startling.

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Barack Obama /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just blast a rosette in the bolt-hole for the pegs.

>

> Pegs are like one of the top things you need sturdy. Having your feet

> suddenly hit the pavement at 30 is quite startling.

Last post because I’m hogging it! It’s a prototype swing arm ( knowing me I’ll probably cut them off and reuse them) just wanted to make it easy for multiple uses.

It’s a Puch swingarm On a Motobecane shhhhhhhhh. ItS fucking rad

image.jpg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Why would you replace one of the strongest factory swingarms with one of the weakest factory swingarms?

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

Barack Obama /

> Kenneth Hill Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why would you replace one of the strongest factory swingarms with one of

> the weakest factory swingarms?

Haha mlm maxi swing arm next! Why not...12mm axles, sprocket sizes, and all the puch wheels you can choice from vs some expensive mag pug wheels or something

Ooo and the exhaust, yea the exhaust it Sit about 3 inch higher on the puch swing arm vs the Motobecane. Better for right turns lol

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account