Tuning up a Sachs 504 airsal 70cc

Mason Campbell /

Hey guys. Been looking through the wiki and forums looking for ways to help beef up the sach 504. Everything I've seen tends to reference the 505 or "sachs" in general. So my question for the community- what have you done, and done successfully, to beef up the 504?

I've seen some cases where people either shorten the tension spring in the clutch donut thingy. Treats sells new springs but I have no clue if they would actually fit. I've seen maybe shimming the clutch to adjust engagement, but I feel like the spring is what will help that more? I dunno. At a loss with what there is left to do since there are no CDIs I can find anywhere that'll fit the 504.

Appreciate any input.

Re: Tuning up a Sachs 504 airsal 70cc

Ehh, I think the consensus is be happy with mid 40s and enjoy it for what it is. You can probably get away with like 11x40 gears, and a good pipe to push the revs.

I haven't touched Sachs in a minute but I'm just getting back into one, I started by putting in double wave springs between the clutch plates, see how that goes, then I was thinking about drilling out the friction discs like a drilled brake rotor. Messing with the doughnut sucks, but I might take a crack at it if the low end is real bad

Mason Campbell /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ehh, I think the consensus is be happy with mid 40s and enjoy it for

> what it is. You can probably get away with like 11x40 gears, and a good

> pipe to push the revs.

>

> I haven't touched Sachs in a minute but I'm just getting back into one,

> I started by putting in double wave springs between the clutch plates,

> see how that goes, then I was thinking about drilling out the friction

> discs like a drilled brake rotor. Messing with the doughnut sucks, but

> I might take a crack at it if the low end is real bad

Yea I'm having a timing issue now, and treats just got back to me about a cdi they know works with the 504. So sick news there. I have the airsal kit on, a nice circuit pipe and SHA 15.15 carb. I need to update my carb for sure. But putting on a nice or possible performance CDI I'm worried about burning up the clutch. I'm super happy to live in the mid 40s all day. But I would just like to beef up the clutch and make the timing more reliable to I can reliable ride my bike every day.

I have accepted the fact the low end isn't gonna be very sweet, but making it slightly better would be dope.

Swapping a cdi because you can't time your bike is never a good idea. Unless like, the keyway is fucked or something. Chances good you are just opening up a world of new problems.

Get it running right with the parts yo have before throwing more stuff at it. I dunno about the motoplat ignition but usually points are less headaches.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account