A35 cylinder studs coming loose.

Just wondering if any of you veterans have dealt with loosing compression due to cylinder nuts coming loose and how did you cure the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: A35 cylinder studs coming loose.

Buy new studs and nuts🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’d remove the top end and studs. Inspect the threads, clean the case threads and install studs torqued to spec with medium strength thread lock. Inspect too end and reinstall with new gaskets. Torque nuts to spec, warm the motor up a few times and retorque.

Tweaker trash /

> Tomos A35 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Buy new studs and nuts🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

How did you get the emoji?

🍄

Edit:It works now!!! 🤩 (edited)

I think Ben hit the nail on the head.

Heating and cooling makes things get loose. After every ride, once the engine is completely cool, I’ll check the head nuts. Just make sure they aren’t too loose.

On a new build, expect to re-torque everything many times. Thread lock is good to stop the studs from coming out. But you just have to keep checking the nuts on everything else. Once it’s all broke in and the gaskets have reached homeostasis or whatever, it will stay tight for you.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Tomos A35 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Buy new studs and nuts🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This is actually a bad piece of advise.

You should be using medium strength loctite on the studs in the case and making sure they are driven home. And make sure you're torquing the head to even specs. Uneven torque values will allow the loosest to vibrate loose.

Thats exactly what i tried yesterday ben. Im letting her be for the 24 to let the blue loc set. I cleaned rust oil everything off the studs and bolts before procedure. Thanks fellas.

i did dirty! I cleaned studs washers and torq to spec 10lbs 9lbs wiki and manual says different. I used medium strength blue pematex threadlocker blue. Hopefully im good now. Thanks

How is it bad advise? no one but him knows the condition of those studs and nuts. Constant heating and cooling will stretch those studs making them weak and one day when he re torque them they will snap. The threads could be stripped same on the nuts. I would never lock tight head studs or nuts. When u notice a problem like that I always just replace them simple and easy. Instead of cleaning lock tight off of the head and dealing with a mess but it's your choice i guess🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤨🤔

Oem studs are generally the best bet given the condition. Key work is inspect.

Your right about that but the reason im thread lockin is because im gonna ride it soon because ive been working on it so much lately. And after i get some throttle twisting out of my system im pulling the studs out of this engine. Its got 20.000 actual miles on it.

i tell you 1 thing i also found to be true someone said to try. I forgot where i heard it but. Putting a slight bit of gear grease around your base gasket when doing a build. Its air tight sealing works great. 100%effective

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account