Solo exhaust

Eric Whatley /

Help dummy question. Fucking around with stock and minarelli shitter circuit baffle pipe. With the stock exhaust I have a very high idle compared to the minarelli pipe that I basically tuned to the bike with a clone 1412. So the dummy question I have is the minarelli pipe with the lower idle more or less restrictive then the stock pipe with the higher idle?

20200520_195715.jpg

Re: Solo exhaust

high idle is throttle not closing or an air leak.

I think, based on what you’re saying, that the logical assumption would be that the stock exhaust is MORE restrictive.

Possibly what’s happening is that restriction slows the air moving through the carb at idle, which reduces how much fuel it draws up. Making it leaner than the tune you set up with the circuit pipe.

What's the deal with those red wall tyres by the way?

Eric Whatley /

I painted them.

Eric Whatley /

Sounds right, my brain hurts comparing the two.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

What aren't you telling us? Did you bore out the intake? Making it rather fragile. ,......or what intake is that, and why (with those tiny reeds)? I'm betting on a leak around the intake. Use any sealant?

The only time you want a Solo engined bike, is if it's a Solo 731,

Solo7312-gang.jpg

.......................or a Bossini.....both German produced............

That POS was was cobbled together by Americans, out for a fast buck. Note how the swingarm is designed. A bolt through steel plate, no bearing, no bushing. Sloppy handling, if it has many miles. Note the really crappy vario. No clutch? Just a needle bearing on the crankshaft. It requires regular disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. The conical vario spring, is fragile, and unobtainable, as are brake shoes. Note the engine tension spring, when hitting a bump, drive belt tension slacks, not tightens (as on a moby). I coould go on and on, about the thoughtless design, and construction. They seriously didn't give a fuck. Got the owners manual? Why are half the parts standard, and the other half metric?

I assume this was your first bike, as, like me, too dumb to know better. Park it, it's not worth effing with. Save it for a rally loaner bike. Looks good though

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

About your Riverside? wiring unmolested? I see original switches. Got a wiring diagram? Original paint?. and I could use a pic of the left side. My belt gaurd is missing, and they made several types.

Eric Whatley /

Agreed crapper bike in general. Got this one for a hundred bucks 10 minutes from my house. Ironically this is my second Columbia open road first one I had about 12 years ago and sold for the same reasons as you've stated about the bike. I bored out the intake to 14 mm still plenty of meat left and threw a dellorto 1412 clone on. I have been running it with a Minarelli shitter baffle pipe from treats. It actually runs great and definitely has more power than stock. The whole reason for the question is the Stinger rides a little low to the ground and it got hit going over a speed bump and bent the flange. I threw the old exhaust on while I'm welding up the shiter and noticed how much higher the idle was with the stock pipe. No air leaks just jetted for the shiter pipe. Obviously the bike is no longer tune for the stock exhaust. So my question remains is the stock exhaust more or less restrictive as it has greatly increased the idle? As for my Riverside which I love more than I could ever love a human baby. Riverside has treats 12-volt CDI but the wiring is basically original with the addition of voltage regulator. Just got stock size 12 volt bulbs. Bonus I found an original New Old Stock tail light lens on eBay about six months ago to replace my cracked included together one. Never thought a new one would still be in existence. Paint is not original I repainted bike complete about 14 years ago.

20200412_194744.jpg

Eric Whatley /

Oh and treats has correct brake shoes. I just did them.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account