Current settup:

- 60cc malossi cylinder & piston

- 43mm Malossi top

- 13mm SHA carb

- Polini Race vari

- Performance exhaust

- Malossi drive belt

- Malossi clutch-springs (Yellow)

Had my first test drive yesterday, and got top speed to 43km/h (GPS used)

That seems a bit weak, right?

Anything else i need, or something i did wrong?

Thanks!

Piaggio.jpg

Re: Piaggio Vespa Super Bravo 89'

so 43kmh is 27mph, hmm does it get there super quick? acceration is super good?

maybe gearing( count revolutions) in rear transmission or belt not climbing up all the way(heavier weights) on front variator, maybe yellow contra spring is too stiff (try stock spring). On a variated vespa I normally hit a wall at 43mph or 69kmh.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You're either limited by your transmission gearing or you're not fully variating.

That is such a cool bike. I love the wheels, and I'm digging the SuperBravo side covers.

Jørgen Helgestad /

Yes, acceleration is not bad. I will check what weights im currently running.

Im also trying to fin the sweet spot for main jet in carb. Stock the sha 13mm had a 66 jet inside, but seems like it did not run perfect..

Cool bike

Jørgen Helgestad /

Update.

Got the carb sorted, runs good now (64 JET)

Currently using 5,6gr weights in vari. Is that good / bad?

Thanks for comments on the bike :)

The weights really depend on many factors in your setup. You need to complete your jetting, then work on finding the ideal weights.

There are many threads that go into detail, but the basic process is that you put in light weights, and use a marker to make a line across the radius of one of your cheeks. Then, drive. The belt will rub off the marker showing you how high the belt goes. Make your weights heavier and ride again. Hopefully you rubbed off more marker. You repeat this process until you have the lightest weights that will cause the full variation.

Jørgen Helgestad /

That made sense actually! Cheers.

Also, do I need to grease / lube any part of the variator?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I put a very light film of grease on my rollers, or variator specific lube (graphite style).

If you overlube, it will eject on to the cheeks, so don't do that.

^^^^

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Wait. did you split the cases and bore out the intake to 13mm? If not you are wasting so much money and time trying to get this thing to go fast, and robbing yourself of a ridiculous amount of power. I have nearly this EXACT same setup and can push 50mph

Jørgen Helgestad /

> Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wait. did you split the cases and bore out the intake to 13mm? If not

> you are wasting so much money and time trying to get this thing to go

> fast, and robbing yourself of a ridiculous amount of power. I have

> nearly this EXACT same setup and can push 50mph

Really? wow.

How exactly do you do that?

Im a beginner at this, but i really appreciate all these comments!

you should still be quite a bit faster than that, the malossi kits usually run about 35-40 mph without the crank/case porting, unless you have some kind of crazy short gearing.

sometimes the cylinder spacing/shimming on the malossi can be far off as well, you should have checked it when you built it the first time but if you cant find your problem it might be worth pulling it back apart to check it out.

as others said, make sure the variator and all that is set up and fully closing. you can mark the cheeks with a marker to make sure the belt is fully travelling in the variator. sometimes if the belt is too tight it wont let it articulate all the way.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

The deadped 2.8 gram weights are really good, seem to be just right for a kitted grande

polini vario

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> polini vario

^^^^^^^

if you are using the stock 8 roller vario, you may be able to drop down to 4 weights, but a performance 6 roller allows for more options on weights. If you are running the mallossi belt without properly adjusting, you probably are not fully variating. That isn't the only thing that I can imagine limiting it that much. Maybe the aftermarket contra spring could be an issue too, defiently go back to stock unless there was some issue or you have a carb with a wider selection of rollers.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account