Redneck head turning

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I needed to profile this head for a build. This head i think was for a 50cc, or something with a flat top piston, because there is no squish band or dome at all. I need it for my 48mm parmakit cyinder for my p6, which has a traditional domed piston. Instead of sending it out, I thought I'd experiment and try this crazy idea I had. Don't have a lathe, so I cobbled together this setup, which allows me to turn the spindle much more slowly and with more control, which works out anyway because this head has an asymmetrical shape that makes it severely unbalanced. Used a long piston stop for the chuck to grab, and it keeps it concentric with the spark plug hole. I slowly grind away with a dremel and a carbide, eyeballing the angles against the piston.

20200607_180614_1_1.gif

Worked decently! As I went on i got a better feel for what feed rate and pressure to use. Holding the dremel steady with one hand isn't easy,, so there's quite a bit of chatter in the end, but the basic shape is there! I can finish it off by mounting some sandpaper to the piston and spinning the head with a drill.

All in all I call it a success, we'll see how well it works (or doesn't)

20200607_175354.jpg
20200607_183705.jpg

(edited)

Re: Redneck head turning

Mount the dremel on a rigid fixture and you're in business. No hand holding

Or rig up some kind of pedal control for the drill press. Kind of like for the rotary tools. Then you can hold the dremel with two hands. Love this idea btw.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I probably would have tried to mount a cutting device to the drill press table, then used the action of the press to control cut depth, but this ain't half bad.

Def finish off with the piston with some paper tacked to it

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I probably would have tried to mount a cutting device to the drill press

> table, then used the action of the press to control cut depth, but this

> ain't half bad.

>

> Def finish off with the piston with some paper tacked to it

that's a good idea, but unfortunately that wouldn't work with my setup as-is.. My drill is chucked onto an exposed bit of the quill on top, with the drill on there i cannot move it up or down. But yeah, a fixed cutting tool would definitely help!

Maybe a cheap ebay variac to slow down the drill press so i can do it how you described, or at least free up my other hand to help control the dremel? i've been meaning to buy one anyway

Tweaker trash /

Iv always just liked mounting the head to the press with a spark plug then just using Different size balls and densities to achieve the dome size I’m look for (edited)

Nice! I did something similar with a zip-tie’d down hand drill with good results.

Woah i'm most impressed the GIF shows up on the performance main page.

> MPB Andyrew Wrote:

> Woah i'm most impressed the GIF shows up on the performance main page.

Right? I love it, really grabs your attention haha

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I really like that you put the hand drill on the top. I've done this just using the drill press but the lowest speed is like 800 rpm and it hurts when you touch the head lol. The slower turn would help a lot i think.

You could try turning the drill the opposite way and see if that reduces chatter. You might be "climb milling" here.

> discontinuuity _ Wrote:

> You could try turning the drill the opposite way and see if that reduces

> chatter. You might be "climb milling" here.

I think you're 100% right, didn't think of that. If I'm not mistaken, the dremel is spinning "with" the surface here, gotta check later

Kevin Bishop /

I understand everyone’s love of dremels around here but me I use a router. I find a nice finish piece of plywood 7/16” that’s voidless. I can’t remember exactly 1 3/4” hole saw like 40-45 mm. Chuck it up in the drill press punch hole in ply and screw to head centered. Using a top bearing straight bit setting your depth is the only hard part. You can micro adjust if you have a good router. And setting the actual cut radius is easy with layers of electrical tape or painters tape. Just go slow and easy 1/2 mm at a pass. I purple marker it all so I can see my progress. I have turned many 38mm heads into 42.5, 44, 45, and 46 mm.

> Kevin Bishop Wrote:

> I understand everyone’s love of dremels around here but me I use a

> router. I find a nice finish piece of plywood 7/16” that’s voidless. I

> can’t remember exactly 1 3/4” hole saw like 40-45 mm. Chuck it up in the

> drill press punch hole in ply and screw to head centered. Using a top

> bearing straight bit setting your depth is the only hard part. You can

> micro adjust if you have a good router. And setting the actual cut

> radius is easy with layers of electrical tape or painters tape. Just go

> slow and easy 1/2 mm at a pass. I purple marker it all so I can see my

> progress. I have turned many 38mm heads into 42.5, 44, 45, and 46 mm.

Thats a good idea! But in this case, I'm not increasing the diameter of the head, all im doing is creating a squish band.

This is the final product, after a few minutes of sanding. Really happy with the results! There's a little porosity in the casting, but it shouldn't be a problem. It'll get leak tested

20200612_163641.jpg
20200612_163638.jpg

Wesley Ambrosini /

Noice results

I did a similar thing but insanely shittier

Spark plugs in a drill, drill in a vise, head on the plug. Zip tied the drill trigger and used a plug strip as an on off switch. Dremel in another vise where I could press it down a little to hit the head. Scary but ultimately pretty fun. This is a test head I did trying to bump a 50cc stock head to a 70cc

IMG_20200611_171106462.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Mount the dremel on a rigid fixture and you're in business. No hand

> holding

It would be nice to have a shop with mills, lathes, drill presses and such but I don’t so I Just reshape heads just holding them with my hand, no equipment No jig, no nothin and hold the rotary tool by hand too.

3A639ED1-CCF4-406E-8F04-04EFA2577E2C.jpeg

It’s really not hard but I’ve been working with rotary tools, cc’ing heads and such for near 40 years so one gets an eye for when it looks good, if you can case match working on heads is not much different really,

Sand heads and deck cylinders down by hand too, most times I use my very old Makita belt sander held upside down, holding the head by hand taking it most the way down then fine finish by hand with fine sand paper, many years of floor finishing one can tell by eye when something is smooth and flat

EF1BE586-5765-4CC2-B443-F2BEE52EA026.jpeg

classic carl jepsen /

no tool is garbage unless you don't know how to use one. Owning Tools is not considered a hobby by any means; if you are a professional working on the field, that's entirely different. However, for the average consumer, DIY enthusiast, buying the bare-minimum, basic set of tools will do. Thank goodness for the existence of the Human Brain, I don't rely on contractors---if I have the tool, I'll use intellect as a gateway to opportunity. As far as seeing a growing collection of tools, perhaps hoarding is a hobby for some. Pretty darn sure, no one in the community gives a charitable thought for the over-excessive collection of tools they own. There are many technical schools that that can accept donations you know. I don't own the tools to show off. I own practically every American branded tool. Did I forget to mention that today's Made in USA tools are all made with imported Materials? Consumerism has brainwashed the human population, need I say more?

Dirty30 Dillon /

You are on drugs?

Wesley Ambrosini /

This is my favorite website..

Jesus, that was a read

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account