V1 Polini high running temps/aftermarket retarding CDI boxes?

I went around the neighborhood for 15 mins tonight and top temperature was 386. Thats an improvement from 425 before I retarded the timing. Haven't checked timing with timing light yet. I have a static three wire CDI box with built in coil, so the only way to retard timing and bring temps down is to dremel out the bolt down slots in stator and rotate stator. No fan installed yet on the Ducati flywheel. So the problem is the Ducati stator is tiny and I ran out of room to do any more timing adjustments with it. Need a retarding CDI box that works with the Ducati/Minarelli CDI ignition. Which CDI box out there that's tried and true to keep temps down?

minarelli-ducati-cdi-2.jpg

(edited)

Re: V1 Polini high running temps/aftermarket retarding CDI boxes?

V1's run hot. 386 is totally fine. On a new kit i get concerned around 400-420 but I've pushed an old kit to 518 before and now i don't even bother looking at the temp gauge.

Mine runs about that hot, too. Not even worried about it.

Anything under 400 with most kits is going to be prime. And there is another way to set the timing without dremeling out the stator mounts. You can just lose the woodruff key and position the flywheel to the proper timing position and put it on. You will need to turn the flywheel to the crank shaft, but it works.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Yeah at WOT on open roads Ive been chilling between 400-420 (compression was high, 420 the coffee can noises would kick in) and didn't think anything about it.

I have no idea about your neighborhood but if it's got stop signs and maybe a hill 396 sounds good . Got a fan running I assume?

No fan on yet on account me messing with the timing. I figure fan going to drop temps by a few degrees.

Anyone put these retarding CDI boxes on their V1s?

Screenshot_20200609-093920.png

I'll need a coil for my 12v wiring too.

Screenshot_20200609-094240.png

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

eh I'd stick with the ducati if you have it

put the fan on itll drop the temps for sure

v1 are one of the bikes where the head is actually hotter than the piston. gotta have a good head to stave off detonation, but the high head temps are just that- head temps- they aren't hurting your power cylinder

Tweaker trash /

What plug?

Spark plug is B7HS. Suppose I could put in a cooler sparking one.

Today I put the fan on and went riding with my 2yo and my 5yo for 1/2 hr around the neighborhood in this microcar. Temps hovered around 360. Fan brought temps down at least 10 degrees vs no fan.

It's a Polini 80cc with stock cylinder head. I still don't know what my timing is at; retarded at least somewhat. Down jetted the VM20 main jet to 135 from 150; ran rich and flooded a lot, four stroked but now good. It's fun messing with the fuel and air adjustment screws on the VM20.

I'm happy with it and gonna update my build thread soon.

Question remains tho: do the retarding CDI boxes exist for the V1? Maybe some scooter ones? (edited)

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

if you want a retarding CDI just get the HPI

the points on a V1 work really well for most other situations

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

Yes, auto-retarding cdi boxes exist for the v1.

Follow this tutorial:

Pietcard CDI Conversion

Install the Pietcard 2041 box. You already posted a picture of this, so you may already be aware of it.

Good luck! (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account